All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The current pinnacle of Series 60?

Steve's been taking the very latest Nokia 6680 smartphone for a spin this week and he's been very impressed, with only a few disappointments along the way. Read the full review here.

Old 02-06-2005, 07:53 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield
Steve's been taking the very latest Nokia 6680 smartphone for a spin this week and he's been very impressed, with only a few disappointments along the way. Read the full review here.
I am always surprised that all these 'reviews' never mention such vital parameters as RAM size. Nokia omits it usually from their specs, giving only internal FLASH size, but with device in hand very easy to find out...
Ads

Old 02-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaaaaa
I am always surprised that all these 'reviews' never mention such vital parameters as RAM size. Nokia omits it usually from their specs, giving only internal FLASH size, but with device in hand very easy to find out...
Nokia make it hard to find out, actually. But in the interests of completeness, this 6680 has about 7MB of RAM free without much loaded. Bit disappointing really, although unless you want to run TomTom MOBILE 5 AND a huge game at the same time, the Symbian OS memory scheme should easily be able to cope.

Steve Litchfield

Old 03-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
The biggest annoyance for me with the 6680 is the lack of phone memory available for storing messages / applications and the like.

After coming to this phone from the Sendo X, you very quickly learn to apreciate the 32MB which the X has available.

Hopefully (although in no means definitely, as they're based on the same platform) Nokia will resolve this before the N70 is launched.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark
The biggest annoyance for me with the 6680 is the lack of phone memory available for storing messages / applications and the like.

After coming to this phone from the Sendo X, you very quickly learn to apreciate the 32MB which the X has available.
Yes, again Nokia have been a bit stingy here. Although for straight file storage, it's very easy to just use a large RS-MMC, so as long as you keep most apps on the card there shouldn't be a problem.

Every time I think I've found a smartphone which is perfect, it quickly becomes apparent that *nothing* is perfect and that you'll always have to make some compromises.

Steve

Old 03-06-2005, 09:58 PM

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Here's a good question - what is the most universally compatible Series 60 phone out there? By this I mean the phone that will work with the widest spectrum of applications.

I imagine it won't be the Sendo X....

Old 04-06-2005, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masamune
Here's a good question - what is the most universally compatible Series 60 phone out there? By this I mean the phone that will work with the widest spectrum of applications.

I imagine it won't be the Sendo X....
Nokia 6630. Normal screen, stereo output, fairly modern OS/S60. Which is partly why it gets a nod on http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/alistcurrent.htm

Steve

Old 04-06-2005, 12:07 PM

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield
Nokia 6630. Normal screen, stereo output, fairly modern OS/S60. Which is partly why it gets a nod on http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/alistcurrent.htm

Steve
Hmm. I'd have thought it would have been either the 7610 or 6600, although I've heard there's quite a few unhappy 6600 users out there...