All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-01-2003, 05:44 AM

My-Symbian.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
As much as i respect you and your website i'll have to put my foot down here.TheSpecialBoy made an honest mistake,you dont have to trow it in his face for that
If somebody makes a mistake and realizes that he was wrong, the best thing is to appologize. I have never seen any good word from him, even though he had plenty of time since the date of his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
it was even replayed by sean that this layout is used by many websites.
That's right. That's why he already knows that he made a mistake and should at least say that he was wrong. He decided not to give a damn about it.

Quote:
And what about the comparison with AAS? Why do you speak with such anger?
You seem to have some problems with perception.

When he calls me "The guy whatever he likes to call himself", calls me a SPY, writing the name of my site makes him almost puke, then you consider this a friendly attitude right? "He just made a mistake"? And when I simply inform that my newsserver existed before this forum appeared (just to explain that I had no reasons to copy anything), you call this "anger"? Strange. I would call this "selective" and not very objective.

Quote:
I really dont care if My-Symbian.com existed long time before AAS and had thousands of users with tens of thousands of posts.
And I really don't care if you care. That was nothing but information.

Quote:
Your replay to his post is not much better then his post.He made a mistake,what about you?
I reacted to his untrue and unfair accusation, expressed in a very unfriendly form, which he didn't bother to correct.

Everybody can make a mistake. But his post was also full of anger (he even said that 4 times himself). People who make a mistake (especially if they throw an untrue accusation) SHOULD correct their mistake (not to mention saying "sorry"). He didn't.

If he could call me a spy and use a couple of other nice expressions like this WITHOUT ANY REASON (or just because he didn't know what he was talking about) and didn't bother to excuse, then I could be a little bit angry. Pretty fair.

BTW. Also notice this:

Quote:
he gets a lot of free stuff from we know hwo...and also gets the style of your Forum....
Another false and harmful accusation of being paid/sponsored by someone. This is almost criminal.

Old 04-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Guys lets not forget what we are all here for, little arguments like this aren't helping anyone.

Fair enough, SpecialBoy made a mistake...You have had your say on the subject...Leave it be.

Old 04-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Banned

LAuRA is on a distinguished road
I think one lesson to be learned from the holiday break (in a literal sense) of AAS was that it is good to have choises. Without My-Symbian.com, we would have left completely in the dark on what's happened.

Rafe should be proud for the strong community spirit of AAS but let's not let it go too far. :fadein:

Old 04-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
I agree that we should put a stop to this here.
My apologies to Michal for misreading him and for anything offensive that i wrote.
Like i sad,i have a great deal of respect for you and your website.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 04-01-2003, 03:17 PM

Izzo,

If this post was coming from a newbie with 2 posts sent to forum, I would never ever bother to waste my time.

But this guy has over 730 posts (in 6 months) and it seems that he is one of your most active members (12th or so). Such a number of post means that he simply REPRESENTS this forum. Just take a look at his profile - he posts over 7 posts a day on average. Such false accusations from one of the most active members should be clearly corrected - if not by the author, then at least by forum Admin.

This is not the first post like this on your forums, with unkind and untrue opinions about me and my site. And this is really strange, because there are no such posts about AAS on my forums. My visitors never call your site "the other side", never call the admin of this site a spy etc. There are also no comments that this forum is boring and My-Symbian.com users only come here late and night when they can't sleep etc. There also never was a single bad word about your site on my news server during whole 2 years of its existence. In contrary to this, I've seen many unfriendly opinions about me and my site here: about my visit to Redmond, about the (unfortunate) MS banner, about having a shop on my site (while nobody bothers to check that the shop is owned by a charity foundation and money go for poor children) and about anything else. This is really strange.

I simply don't understand the attitude of your most active members. Your site is more a community site, while mine is more a software site? So what? Your site is run by a number of admins while mine is more a one-person site? So what? I have paid banners? So what? I accepted MS invitation and went to Redmond? So what? Why your most active members always comment such things THAT WAY? Why it is so damn easy for them to always ACCUSE before even checking? Or at least before asking and letting me explain? There must be some reason for this.

I really care about good contacts with AllAboutSymbian. When I was choosing and purchasing My-Symbian.com/.info domains, I was thinking about AllAboutSymbian (the domain was free at that moment and the registration engine suggested it when I typed "Symbian" as base name). I decided that such name would be better for Rafe as it seemed a natural 'continuation' for your site. I left it. I try to avoid any moves that could be seen as competition - I don't use phrases like "My-Symbian.com - your only/biggest/sole Symbian site" etc. I am ABLE to co-exist with you. But it seems that some of your members don't. That's sad.

Old 04-01-2003, 03:18 PM

Laura & GhostDog,

Thank you for your comments. I feel better now. Peace on earth.

Old 04-01-2003, 04:25 PM

:) is on a distinguished road
Yo guys! Wasssup everybody?

i was just PM'ing IZZO yesterday night, telling him about problems and arguments that might occur to forums, forums like this. A problem happened in an Arabic forum, a gulf forum in particular, that has phones, jokes, cars, music, they have about everything there. And also 18,000 registered users!!! ANyways, that's not the point, the point is, that this forum, in the 7650 place to be specific, had this argument regarding a moderator helper, he was banned! And so did half a dozen other people! And many were taking sides and people got all pissed off, and it got really bad. Everything starts out small, the little spark that lit your cigarette could end up burning a whole forest!!! With 30 meter tall trees!

I think we should all be cool, and take a break (take a kit kat )

Last edited by : ) on Thu Jan 02, 1947 11:32 pm, edited 451 times in total

Old 04-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Michal,

I do see what your saying, and I also reasise (now more than ever) all the hard work and good you do for the Symbian community.

For some reason, this place to some people can become more than just a site....It's hard to explain, but I have often just spent hours/days here, I mean it even started to affect my 'real' life job....It's like a drug, and people can get defensive (for want of a better word) about it.....even to the point attacking other sites.

I'm not here to defend SpecialBoy or what he (and others) have said about My-Symbian as it is not my place to.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and there will always be someone you don't agree with.

But what i'm trying to say is, we are all Adult, but sometimes (Myself included) forget that on the net....Lets just drop it, if SpecialBoy feels the need to apologise he will do, I think (and i'm sure others) agree that this is getting a little tiresome and repetative, as each of the sites grow and with the introduction of new devices aimed at the younger generation I think we all have better things to do than argue about who's site is better than who's, he did this and she did that.

Old 04-01-2003, 07:04 PM

Izzo,

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to start any big debate here. I simply didn't want to leave such bullshit without any comment from my side. There are new visitors coming to your forum and reading this and they should be able to see what "the other sit(d)e" has to say.

Speaking of TheVerySpecialGuy, I actually don't care about his appologies, because I think that a person who says such things that way and doesn't feel like correcting this by himself wouldn't be able to do that HONESTLY.

Old 04-01-2003, 07:58 PM

MaleBuffy is on a distinguished road
I am on holidays and cant be bothered with all this. However I cannot stay away from such discussions. My view is that both AAS and My-symbian have different target groups. I, as a member of AAS have great respect to anybody that is involved in Symbian matters. That includes my-symbian.com although I have the RIGHT to criticise my-symbian or AAS since they are PUBLIC sites however they have the right to answer too! I dont mind such discussions but I would like to keep them in a civilised context!

malebuffy@allaboutsymbian.com

http://www.symbiandiaries.com/malebuffy
http://www.symbianopensource.com

Old 04-01-2003, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleBuffy
I am on holidays and cant be bothered with all this. However I cannot stay away from such discussions. My view is that both AAS and My-symbian have different target groups. I, as a member of AAS have great respect to anybody that is involved in Symbian matters. That includes my-symbian.com although I have the RIGHT to criticise my-symbian or AAS since they are PUBLIC sites however they have the right to answer too! I dont mind such discussions but I would like to keep them in a civilised context!
MaleBuffy,

Yes, criticism is FINE and WELCOME. That's what lets us make our sites better. However, I don't think that anything what SpecialGuy wrote can be called criticism. Do you? Calling me names and throwing accusations of stealing, spying, being paid by Microsoft etc. have as little to do with criticism as all that he wrote with the truth.

As for civilised context. I have yet to see in this topic ONE SINGLE opinion saying bluntly and strictly that this SpecialGuy WAS WRONG and RUDE and SHOULD CORRECT THIS or APPOLOGIZE. Noone said that. Instead, everybody talks about peace, friendliness, civilized contexts etc. Say that to him and not to me. I am the injured party here and not him!

Maybe you don't care, but for me accusing me of having secret connections with Microsoft is a SERIOUS slander. Even more than accusing me of stealing this forum, which was obvious result of his mental failure or at least critical biorhythms.

I am not going to try this, but I am SURE that if I wrote anything bad on my forums about anybody from AAS staff, YOU ALL WOULD EAT ME ALIVE. For example, I see that Rafe implemented the "blue/green/yellow/red card system" in this forum. I had it a couple of days earlier. Just think what would happen (including yourself) if I wrote that Rafe COPIED or STOLE it from me, which would be just about the same what SpecialBoy wrote about me. But in such vice versa situation your opinions are also fully vice versa and you call such things criticism. Very funny.

Old 04-01-2003, 09:02 PM

I fully understand your views but it is not our job to say that SpecialBoy is wrong. He has to admit it! I believe that any personal attack is unacceptable. However I very much respect freedom of speech. You have every right as I said to answer and tell what you think which is fine with me, and everybody at AAS.

PS. Postcounts dont represent anything. Its just a number and does not represent anything more.

Old 04-01-2003, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleBuffy
I fully understand your views but it is not our job to say that SpecialBoy is wrong. He has to admit it!
You ain't objective, that's all.

There is something like "Please stick to the forum rules" just below this edit window. There is a paragraph about slandering and offending people there and you can read that such behavior may result in banning or at least warning the user. It seems that your rules don't apply if the person slandered and offended isn't one of your people (not to say: comes from My-Symbian.com), beacuse I don't see any banning, not to mention warning.

This forum has some admins and modeators. It is their task to warn people if they cross that thin line and start offending people and throwing false accusations. That's what I do on my site and that's why there is a model order there. Even though I don't have clear rules yet due to lack of time to write them down.

It is not true that he is the only one to admit it. It's just like saying that it is up to a thief to return your stolen car to you.

Quote:
However I very much respect freedom of speech.
Me too. But only within boundaries of telling the truth and not offending anybody. He crossed these boundaries quite far.

Quote:
You have every right as I said to answer and tell what you think which is fine with me, and everybody at AAS.
Thanks at least for that.

Quote:
PS. Postcounts dont represent anything. Its just a number and does not represent anything more.
Sure. But it is quite easy to check other topics to see that this guy is something more for your forum than just "posts producer".

MaleBuffy, as you can see I normally never come to your forums. I don't feel the need of showing myself here. Unfortunately, I had to register here a couple of months ago to defend myself against accusations of "secret collaboration with Microsoft" just because I accepted an invitation and went for a nice trip. Then I had to come here a couple of times more to deal with further insults. It seems that my visits become more and more frequent and I wonder why because I don't give any reason for this besides running own site. On the contrary, it NEVER EVER happened that anyone from AAS had to visit my forums to deal with such rude posts and false accusations.

If people on this forum don't refrain from such behavior, I think I'll have to show all those topics to my visitors/forum users and also provide them with full freedom of speech and similiar "understanding" from moderators and admins.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:19 PM

Michael (if i can call you so), please check my posts on this thread to see that I didnt agree with SB on what he said before your complaining posts.

Other than that I cannot see any problem with SB's post in this thread except off being wrong according to my opinion.

If you are talking about other posts I am not aware then thats another story.

You are right by saying that we are biased, but this happens because this is our home and we usually praise and protect it.

At then end it comes to that we have to be united in order to survive. If we start to fight then we do only harm to eachother. I amsure that SB will eventually apologise for his mistake.

Good luck and a Happy New Year!

MaleBuffy

Old 04-01-2003, 11:00 PM

MaleBuffy,

Please, understand me. If he wrote, that my site is boring, crappy, lacks frequent updates, is hard to browse, ugly etc. then I wouldn't even react, because that's his right to think so and say so.

But calling me a thief (that's the name of a person who steals something), spy and secret Microsoft weapon is a wholly other story. So this is not about "mistake", but about words he used and the unfriendly attitude he had.

As I already mentioned, I don't expect ANYTHING from such a person. I rather wanted to see reaction of some of you - NORMAL (and not Special) people running this site.

Ok. This won't lead to anything. Let's drop this at this point.

All the best and Happy New Year to you, too.