All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 04-11-2002, 01:50 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
New Series 60 Symbian Device: Nokia N-Gage

Nokia announced today the availability of the Nokia N-Gage which Nokia describes as a game optimized device within its mobile game deck category. The new device looks interesting and is due to be released in February 2003. Four games for the device will be published by Sega. More information and picture in the full story.

More infromation will be added as it becomes available. For now there is the image and press releases.

Update:
Nokia have announced a partnership with Sega to develop games for this device. See the press release (second one) quoted below.

Nokia Press Release:
Quote:
Nokia brings mobility to the Games Industry by making Rich Games Mobile

(November 04, 2002)

Nokia has today announced that it will bring mobility to the games industry by offering console quality games for its new mobile game deck device category. Nokia will expand the gaming experience by bringing a wireless multiplay platform to the market for both local and remote gaming. Based on an established business model in the games industry, Nokia will take rich mobile games to a new level by utilizing the full potential of mobility. As mobile network capacity increases over time, mobile gaming interactivity will also reach new levels together with game optimized mobile devices that offer consumers a truly rich, interactive mobile gaming experience.

"Games are an exciting way to communicate and connect with a larger community of like minded people. Rich mobile games, combined with connected near distance multiplayer gaming over Bluetooth and wide area gaming using cellular networks, opens the door for totally new gaming concepts. Mobility will add a whole new dimension to innovative and creative games concepts and will provide opportunities for the games and telecom industry alike,“ said Anssi Vanjoki, Executive Vice President, Nokia Mobile Phones.“

Rich mobile gaming represents an appealing business opportunity for game publishers and operators. Nokia will be working with top games publishers and developers to provide the most appealing games catalogue for consumers. The rich games will be distributed on memory cards, and Nokia will also act as a game publisher. Operators will gain new revenue streams through increased data use and outbox memory game cards will complement operators’ current game business by bringing rich quality games to game optimized mobile devices.

As an initial step in the converging trends in enabling technologies, and also in devices, Nokia will introduce the first game optimized device in its mobile game deck category, the Nokia N-Gage(TM) mobile game deck device, together with branded game titles from top games publishers and developers in February 2003. The Nokia N-Gage(TM) mobile game deck will run on the Nokia Series 60 platform and the Symbian OS (Operating System).
Sega-Nokia Press Release
Quote:
Nokia and Sega, the world’s leading games publisher, today announced their collaboration to provide branded games for the Nokia’s new mobile game deck device category. According to this collaboration, Sega will develop games for the Nokia N-Gage(TM) mobile game deck, that will run on the Nokia Series 60 platform and the Symbian OS (Operating System). The branded outbox games will be available separately on memory cards.

"Nokia believes that games is the next big thing in mobility. The mobile game deck devices takes us to a new level of mobile interactive gaming, offering totally new and unique possibilities that were not previously available in this quality for publishers or end-users. We are excited to provide rich, high quality games from world known game publishers such as Sega. Sega offers an excellent variety of games with several genres,” said Ilkka Raiskinen Senior Vice President, Entertainment and Media Business Unit, Nokia Mobile Phones

“It is our pleasure to join hands with Nokia for their innovative project,” said Tetsu Kayama, Chief Operating Officer, Sega Corporation. “We promote a multiplatform strategy to supply content to all type of hardware globally and we believe that Nokia and us will create the new-genre of mobile games.”

Old 04-11-2002, 03:22 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
So Nokia are intent not only on bringing down Microsoft, but taking out Nintendo as well? Seesh guys, the PDA market was one thing, but Nintendo?

Let's face it I doubt the small publishing houses that currently work on the curent 9210 and 7650 apps are going to be able to go toe to toe with the likes of Rage, EA, Nintendo In House, and a load of others.

The Gameboy Advance is £70. How much is a Nokia Gamer Machine going to be, even with a contract? The 7650 even with a contract pushed around the £200 (unless you took a silly £50 a month contract) and that's out of reach of the target group here (14-17 year olds?)

The only benefit I see here is it may force Nintendo to drop the prices from £35 to £20-£25, but that's about it.

I hope Nokia aren;t overstretching themselves here - they only got a small pool of people developing for the 92x0 and 7650 phones and unless they throw serious money at new developers then this could die long before the tiny buttons get broken and the machine thrown against the wall in frustration - the sort of thing that happens when playing "Metroid Fusion."
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 04-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Hold on a minute, this beast runs Series 60...

...still gonna fail - mind you if Nokia/Symbian decide to port OPL at least it'll go down with Vexed on it...
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 04-11-2002, 05:24 PM

MaleBuffy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So Nokia are intent not only on bringing down Microsoft, but taking out Nintendo as well? Seesh guys, the PDA market was one thing, but Nintendo?
Bring down? Nokia does not have to bring down M$ on the smartphone market because M$ is already down!

As for Nintendo, why not? (although it s unlikely) M$ has managed to compete with Sony in the console market! Anyways, its too soon to get into this discussion. Lets wait and see

malebuffy@allaboutsymbian.com

http://www.symbiandiaries.com/malebuffy
http://www.symbianopensource.com

Old 04-11-2002, 05:53 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I think its imporatnt to realise that its a phone for gamers, it doesn't mean its a direct challenge to Nintendo. Its still meant to be a phone, but is aimed at those users who are games addicts perhaps?

Like you I'm not convinced, but then I doubt I;m the target market.

Rafe

Old 04-11-2002, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan-FreEPOC
Nintendo-who? this gadget will sell for 200-300 euro, will have radio and MP3, full gaming and symbian on board. Nintendo will be dwarfed in no time...
Ads

Old 04-11-2002, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan-FreEPOC
Nintendo-who? this gadget will sell for 200-300 euro, will have radio and MP3, full gaming and symbian on board. Nintendo will be dwarfed in no time...
I mean, 200-300 without subscription; with subscription it will be around ZERO euro.

Old 04-11-2002, 08:00 PM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
As I've mentioned elsewhere. Having dipped my toe into the Palm world, Symbian/Nokia need to make a big effort on supporting & making life simpler for the developer. Just abount anybody and everybody seam to have had a go at writing Palm applications (some good some not so good).

But it must be fairly straight forward to get into. I can't see how else so many apps. could hav come about.

Zuber

Old 05-11-2002, 12:50 AM

lightbulb is on a distinguished road
lol where do you put your ear, or maybe theyre using an internal speaker using the screen to make sound :P

Old 05-11-2002, 01:04 AM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulb
lol where do you put your ear, or maybe theyre using an internal speaker using the screen to make sound :P
With all the specs I wonder if they didn't forget to put the actual phone in it

Old 05-11-2002, 03:04 AM

:) is on a distinguished road
LoL!
Last edited by : ) on Thu Jan 02, 1947 11:32 pm, edited 451 times in total

Old 05-11-2002, 12:38 PM

whiplash is on a distinguished road
hope nokia won't focus too much on gaming and leave space in developing communicator lines... :(

Old 05-11-2002, 08:40 PM

Tsunami_Hiroshima is on a distinguished road
I was just about to post the news about the N-Gage ops:

Like many others, I doubt that this would have any effect on Nintendo / Sony etc. This will just be another "Look what my phone can do today" feature.

"Games being made available via memory cards", damnit just stick an engine on it and use GPS to drive me to work everyday, while playing the radio, playing sonic the hedgehog, and doing all the dishes and ironing all at once.

hehe, when's it out?

Old 05-11-2002, 08:57 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Like you I'm not convinced, but then I doubt I;m the target market.
Rafe
Its not the device for me either but I think that's the big advantage Symbian and its partners have. They seem to be coming up with a varied range of devices where as all the Microsoft devices (Palm too to some extent) seem very similar. There are 2 Microsoft smartphones the Sendo and Orange SPV what's the point in having another?

I think Nokia have a chance in the mobile gaming area. It probably wont cost any more (with contract) than a GameBoy advance after all its a bit like a 3650 without the camera. The important thing is can they get some of the big name game designers on board apart from Sega? I think they will have a chance as they wont (I assume) have to pay any royalties to Nokia like they do with Nintendo. Its the reverse of the standard games machine model at the moment and more like the PC. Nokia hopes to make money from the hardware sale with perhaps some extra revenue from software. Current console makers make a loss on the initial sale and need to recoup this from software royalties.

Old 05-11-2002, 09:37 PM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
I don't fancy one either, but I like the way Nokia are coming up with lots of ideas. Good for Symbian as well.

At the end of the day, most of the products are largely the same at the core. e.g. Series 60, GSM/GPRS etc. so I don't think they are necessarily overstretching.

Now if they decided that they want to start writing their own games and become a fullblown software house then I'd be worried. I suspect, they will use external sources for such things and just add their own brand.

Zuber