All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 27-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia Nseries N90 - high screen resolution, 2 mp camera Series 60

Nokia have announced the Nseries N90 - a flip 3G Series 60 smartphone. Features include a 2 megapixel camera (Carl Zeiss optics) with integrated flash, macro mode, auto focus, dedicated shutter and zoom buttons and x20 zoom (digital). Video capture is in MP4 at 352 x 416. It is a triband phone and supports both EDGE and WCDMA networks. External screen resolution is 128 x 128 pixels, and the inside screen is 352 x 416 pixels (double the previsouly announced Series 60 models). It is the first Series 60 device to feature a higher resolution screen. The phone screen can be tilted (like the Nokia 6260) and in this mode the phone screen will switch to a horizontal display view.

Nokia Press Release:

Twist and Shoot: Nokia N90 makes its première

Part of the Nokia Nseries high performance multimedia range, the Nokia N90 brings Carl Zeiss optics into the mobile arena Amsterdam, Cancun, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur – Nokia today proudly presented the Nokia N90 multimedia, an advanced and inspirational multimedia device. Starring Carl Zeiss optics and a full set of advanced digital camera features, the Nokia N90 is targeted at high-technology enthusiasts who value the ultimate in connected mobile photography. The Nokia N90 boasts a 2 megapixel camera with autofocus and 20x digital zoom, integrated flash, macro mode for sharp close-ups, and high quality video capture with on-phone editing capabilities.

“We foresee that already this year, the camera phone market will grow to be over four times the size of the digital camera market,” said Juha Putkiranta, Senior Vice President, Multimedia Imaging, Nokia. “And not only is the market growing at an enormous pace but, as fantastically highlighted by the Nokia N90, camera phone functionality is also developing rapidly to meet the needs of the more demanding picture taker. With its pioneering multi-hinge twist-and-shoot design, we have brought ease-of-use and high quality photography into mobile telephony.” Facilitated by its two screens, the Nokia N90 features two ergonomic modes for instant photo and video capture.

Simply twist the unique rotating camera barrel, and automatically the 2 megapixel camera is ready to shoot high quality photos, in a snap. A dedicated capture key and the cover display (128 x 128 pixels) of up to 65,536 colors as a viewfinder make the snapshot experience ever more effortless. Unfold and twist the main display (352 x 416 pixels), and the Nokia N90 is ready to shoot high quality video in MP4 format using the high-resolution (352 x 416 pixels) 262,144 color landscape display as a viewfinder. Dedicated record and zoom keys, including up to 8x digital zoom for video capture, provide for very convenient one-hand operation.

Capture
The Nokia N90 is packed with advanced camera features that ensure high quality photos and videos every time. With autofocus, pressing the shutter key halfway automatically focuses in on the target, after which pressing the key all the way captures the image with amazing clarity. Furthermore, the macro mode feature provides for striking accuracy when taking close-ups.

Print
Printing great quality images is now possible directly from the Gallery with just a few pushes of a button. With the Nokia XpressPrint printing solution, users can select from a range of mobile printing options, including PictBridge, where the handset is connected directly to a compatible photo printer with a USB cable; wireless printing over Bluetooth wireless technology; or by extracting the Reduced Size Dual Voltage MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC) from the side of the phone and inserting it into a compatible printer. Store Photos and video clips taken with the Nokia N90 can conveniently be stored on the phone’s internal 31 MB memory or the 64 MB in-box RS-MMC. Users can also easily store captured content at full resolution using the Nokia PC Suite Image Store, which, when connected, automatically saves images and video clips to the PC.

Share Images and video clips can also be instantly shared via MMS, email or by uploading them to web albums directly from the new improved rotating Gallery, which also allows on-handset editing of captured images and video clips. In addition, video clips can easily be trimmed further on the PC with the in-box Adobe Mobile Video Editor software.

Part of the Nokia Nseries, a new multimedia device range that combines rich functionality into one device, the Nokia N90 capitalizes on the convergence of imaging, smartphone features and 3G. 3G-enabled features, such as two-way video calling*, video sharing* and push email, are further complemented by an organizer, video streaming, Internet browser and add-on software. Based on the leading Series 60 Platform, the Nokia N90 is a tri-band phone for GSM 900/1800/1900, EDGE and WCDMA networks, and is expected to be available in the second quarter of 2005.

Old 27-04-2005, 12:26 PM

badger is on a distinguished road
http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,0...html?model=n90

This device runs Symbian 8.1a with Series 60 V2 feature pack 3

Old 27-04-2005, 06:43 PM

marcb is on a distinguished road
"My precious....."
Ads

Old 06-05-2005, 07:51 AM

evobit is on a distinguished road
Only flip phone i'd consider owning.. i think i've found a replacement for my sx1

Old 30-05-2005, 11:29 AM

blued888 is on a distinguished road
N90 Review @ Mobile-Review

Might interest some of you guys.

I plan to get this phone in the near future after it is released. However, the JBenchmarks in the review confuse me. Based on the figures, the N90 is worse than the 7610 and 6630?

Anyone care to enlighten me as to how to gauge the figures on this type of benchmarking?

Thanks!

Old 30-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Ignore the benchmarking. At the end of the day most of the software you will use on a smartphone will be written for the smartphone in a native language (i.e. C++) rather than Java.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 30-05-2005, 01:07 PM

Ah, so it gauges the Java capabilities of the phone? What's the percentage of Java applications currently being used in Smartphones? Don't have much idea about these stuff because I'm still using my trusty N6310i and N8910.

Btw, how can one know the maximum supported RS-MMC size for a particular phone?

Last edited by blued888; 30-05-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Old 30-05-2005, 02:03 PM
lightstarm2k

Wirelessly posted (Nokia3120/1.0 (05.30) Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

I'm waiting for that N90.... Can you guess about It's price?

Old 30-05-2005, 03:49 PM

Btw, anybody know when it's slated for release in Southeast Asia?

And also, is it true that the N90 has no vibrate function? :(

Last edited by blued888; 01-06-2005 at 04:16 AM.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:26 AM
chapsmacker

Yes it's true, N90 doesn't have vibrate function. Read mobile review's review of N90 and you'll know almost everything about it. If you clkick the reviews -button at the bottom of the page, you can find an article about N90 imaging capabilities. Address to the review: http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n90-en.shtml
And here in Finland N90 costs in web stores about 650-700 €uros, and in regular stores I would guess something like 800 €uros, but I think the price will go down to 750 €uros after summer.

Old 17-06-2005, 02:59 PM

DrScouse is on a distinguished road
Makes me laugh... im sure ive read thers no vibrating alert, to protect the camera lense, yet there is no sign of even a cover, or protection for the lense itself!!