All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-04-2005, 06:09 PM

tarang is on a distinguished road
Certain queries about the Nokia 9500 Communicator

Hello i am planning to purchase a nokia 9500 communicator and i live in india i am basically gonna use the phone for office and entertainment purposes so i have got certain queries for you ppl

Firstly can i recieve mail with attachments in the nokia 9500 communicator and also can i edit these attachments and is there a specific limit for the attachments being recieved

And as for the office applications i can only view the documents in this phone or can i also edit them and save them plz tell me as to how exactly the office appications perform in this phone

And as in respect for the entertainment purposes i intend to put an entire movie in the phone so is there any particular software that would allow me to view the movie

And what are the must have applications and softwares that i must install on the nokia 9500 communicator and can the series 60 software such as smart movie work on the communicator if no then which software am i recommended to install

And i would like to get address of certain web-sites that allow me to download software for the 9500 free of charge

And lastly i would like to know is there any code or any timer inside the communicator that informs me that the phone has not been previously used by any other person.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Tarang

Old 12-04-2005, 06:53 PM

stubby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarang
Hello i am planning to purchase a nokia 9500 communicator and i live in india i am basically gonna use the phone for office and entertainment purposes so i have got certain queries for you ppl

Firstly can i recieve mail with attachments in the nokia 9500 communicator and also can i edit these attachments and is there a specific limit for the attachments being recieved

And as for the office applications i can only view the documents in this phone or can i also edit them and save them plz tell me as to how exactly the office appications perform in this phone

And as in respect for the entertainment purposes i intend to put an entire movie in the phone so is there any particular software that would allow me to view the movie

And what are the must have applications and softwares that i must install on the nokia 9500 communicator and can the series 60 software such as smart movie work on the communicator if no then which software am i recommended to install

And i would like to get address of certain web-sites that allow me to download software for the 9500 free of charge

And lastly i would like to know is there any code or any timer inside the communicator that informs me that the phone has not been previously used by any other person.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Tarang

1.Atrtachments. Yes you can receive and open attachments. I have used JPEG and Sheet. You can edit them.
2. Yes you can open sheet and word for example and edit them and then re-send. Sheet works quite well but column widths and font sizes frequently get messed up in the conversion, but it does not take long to sort it out, I find.
Word Docs import pretty well, but you lose any Hypertext links in the documents. The text of the links remains, but the hyperlinks don't.
Overall it works well with an XP PC and I am finding WiFi brilliant and the ablity to download lists and sheets onto the phone for travelling superb.

I was a 9210i user.
Just make sure you get the latest firmware.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:58 PM

msiivola is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby
Word Docs import pretty well, but you lose any Hypertext links in the documents.
If you convert Word docs to Mobipocket .prc files, they retain the hyperlinks, and are much faster to load and much smaller, too.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarang
Yes, using the built-in RealPlayer, or the two (currently) available third party video players.

Quote:
And what are the must have applications and softwares that i must install on the nokia 9500 communicator
Search the forum.

Quote:
and can the series 60 software such as smart movie work on the communicator
Series 60 software, no, but SmartMovie is available for Series 80 (Communicators).

Quote:
I hope you're not asking for wares (cracked software) here? Again, please search the forum.

Quote:
Type: *#92702689# (i.e. *#war0anty#) on the phone/cover side.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 13-04-2005, 07:19 PM

Chaser81 is on a distinguished road
I did that "warroanty" code thingy on my 9300 and under "Standby time" it says 1555... Whats that; hours, minutes, days? I have had my 9300 since yesterday afternoon, that mean it wasnt new?

Old 13-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Minutes. It might mean that it has been used as a demo unit, I dunno. My 9300's Standby timer reads; 125750 and I've had it for three months.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson
Ads

Old 13-04-2005, 07:42 PM

Chaser81 is on a distinguished road
Cheers for the quick reply. If its minutes then (assuming my math is right) that equates to about 25 hours uptime. Sounds about right to be honest!