All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-03-2005, 03:17 PM

sataguler is on a distinguished road
How Can I Share Internet Of Pc With 6630?

Is it possible to share my PC's internet connection via bluetooth with my NOKIA 6630? By this way can I enter internet with my PC's internet connection with my NOKIA 6630? How can I manage this? Would you please tell me?

Old 19-03-2005, 04:23 PM

Dweomer is on a distinguished road
Seatch the forum. There is a running thead.

But the short answer is no. Nokia deliberately disable incoming serial connections to the phone and left out certain APIs that make it difficult to do this. The GNUBox people are trying to get it working but so far it doesn't look good.

Old 19-03-2005, 06:20 PM

Dany is on a distinguished road
But with mac is possible...isn't it?

Old 20-03-2005, 02:09 AM

Dweomer is on a distinguished road
It doesn't matter if the incoming serial connection is from a pc or a mac, the phone still will not accept it the way earlier phones did. The only way I have been told of to rectify this is to either code something custom to put on the phone and/or to copy certain missing parts of the symbian network libraries to the phone. I'm definitely not an expert on this.. I just really want it to work and have been keeping up on what others tell me regarding this irritating issue.

Old 30-04-2005, 03:26 PM

SPEEDMAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweomer
It doesn't matter if the incoming serial connection is from a pc or a mac, the phone still will not accept it the way earlier phones did. The only way I have been told of to rectify this is to either code something custom to put on the phone and/or to copy certain missing parts of the symbian network libraries to the phone. I'm definitely not an expert on this.. I just really want it to work and have been keeping up on what others tell me regarding this irritating issue.
just read this, this suxx very much. Has anyone come up with a solution yet ?
"Play a java game and send yourself an SMS, stand back and watch how the phone freezes up for 30 seconds or so. Even worse, send yourself an sms and call yourself at the same time. The phone reboots. "

Old 30-04-2005, 04:21 PM

lunatique is on a distinguished road
Not sure why u'd want to use pc's internet connection for ya phone. Would have thought ya pc had faster processor.
If all ya after is lookin at and downloadin from wap sites then get a wap emulator for pc.
Its a much easier and fast solution.

http://www.yospace.com/spedemo.html

just found this one. not sure if can download with it but can use it for browsing

Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 AM

SPEEDMAN is on a distinguished road
i want to sit on my balcony and do some msn-chat /email checking and occasional website looking there,

if i may ?
"Play a java game and send yourself an SMS, stand back and watch how the phone freezes up for 30 seconds or so. Even worse, send yourself an sms and call yourself at the same time. The phone reboots. "

Old 03-05-2005, 06:13 AM

Carin_a is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Hi,
I am very eager about any news on this. I wanted a treo but then went for a symbian device 6680 and now I am quite unhappy because I used to sync avantgo on my palm Vx (through the desktop internet connection) in the morning and read all the news on my way to work. I installed avantgo on my 6680 and synced it once through the mobile phones provider connection - afterwards I was horrified to see my cost control output for 1,90 MB download.

I think very much, that Nokia want to sell their mobiles to the (in this case) German providers and they make huge money through internet-dial up. The 6680 supports UMTS and the German providers have paid Billons of Euros for this system. The competition here is stiff and if Nokia would build in easy internet through desktop dial-up access the providers might switch to other brands. But as in many cases they have not looked after their customers. And in all forums this discussion is quite lively. So keep on demanding

I think this sucks so much. I have sent e-mails to Nokia and Avantgo about this matter. If there is no solution this will sure be my last Nokia phone.

Regards,
Carin_A

P.S. There is absolutely no solution at the moment as far as I know. The last nokia to connect through the pc is the 6600. You should all e-mail to nokia to put pressure on them - rock the boat

Last edited by Carin_a; 03-05-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:43 PM

Mr Gar is an unknown quantity at this point
Unfortunately there's a conflict of interest. Nokia have to provide mobile operators with revenue so their phones will be stocked as well a bare amount of functionality to satisfy consumers.

There really isn't enough competition in the smart-phone market at the moment. I wish other manufacturers would hurry up and produce Symbian devices.

Old 19-05-2005, 10:25 PM

sm1thson is on a distinguished road
i am in the uk on three, they dont allow you to connect to the inernet!, so its even more annoying that there isnt the option to connect via pc on their handsets. i cant wait for a work around!

it is possible (and easy) on the moto a1000 smartphone!

Old 20-05-2005, 04:07 PM

Liam548 is on a distinguished road
which nokia phones can it be done on. It would be a great feature, if someone else on pc, to share broadband connection and use phone for a bit of browsing.

can it be done on 3650?

Old 23-05-2005, 01:12 PM
wizzard466

Lightbulb It Can Be Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sataguler
Is it possible to share my PC's internet connection via bluetooth with my NOKIA 6630? By this way can I enter internet with my PC's internet connection with my NOKIA 6630? How can I manage this? Would you please tell me?

HI,

If you are talking about using your phone as a gateway for the internet then you can do this by using a bluetooth dongle easily. I got a cheap Belkin Bluetooth Dongle (from Argos) and used the Dial Up Networking option to create a connection. You have to know in advance the number used to by your network to dial for the connection. I am with O2 Online and get 500 mins wap minutes free. With the new Nokia 6630, setting up a Dial-Up Networking connection using your wap settings will allow you to achieve your connection. If you have an older phone (eg 6230) you are able to gain the username and password (usually anyting works) from the settings for your wap connection. I am currently using my 6630 as a gateway for my notebook via Bluetooth, with the netwoek setting for wap. Connected at 115k/sec. which is nice.

Hope this helps.

Old 23-05-2005, 03:55 PM

Liam548 is on a distinguished road
have I understood it right, we are wanting to use our free PC connection to browse the net on our phones for free via bluetooth.
i.e use Pipex, Aol, Freeserve etc