All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-03-2005, 09:11 PM

_Student is on a distinguished road
reaching location through city map?

Hello every one

I want to develop an application that have the ability to determine for the user of the mobile where he is from a map that is located in the mobile ... that is the map is put in the phone and it was devided into regions; when the user want to know where he is, he can see the region of his location in the map!

U think that do that is possible through J2ME in symbianOS
and what i want to start that

Thanks for u ...
Ads

Old 15-03-2005, 06:37 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
You can't get the cell ID from J2ME (you can from C++), but that's not a very accurate way (especially if you don't know where the base stations are physically).

You might be able to get the exact coordinates from a Bluetooth GPS device (at least you can with C++; there are plenty of C++ apps for Symbian OS that show the position on a map; WayFinder, TomTom, Route 66, Navicore).

Your biggest issue is where to get the maps (bitmap maps take up enormous amounts of memory, vector maps are expensive to buy).

Old 29-03-2005, 09:45 PM

unals is on a distinguished road
I actually want to develop a similar application too. Here is what was in my mind, and I think I will need a lot of help.
1. I would like to write a map browser application. Just like we do with mapquest or yahoomaps or googlemap on the net. I would like to download a map of interest from mapquest or google or yahoomap to the symbian phone and then I would like to be able to browse the map on the phone.
2. In the second stage I would like to be able to read GPS data (via bluetooth)from a GPS device (I know triangulation using the base station locations is not very accurate, but I would like to be able to do that too). Then, using the location data (be it from GPS device or from the base stations), I would like to be able to mark myself (and preferably my direction and speed) on the map.
Now, other than the technical questions, I have more fundamental qquestions:
1. Should I use java or C++? Which one do you think is better and easier? I have knowledge of C, some C++, but not much java. (However when I read some codes I can figure them out usually).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 31-05-2005, 04:11 PM

pksenthilsub is on a distinguished road
pksenthilsub

http://www31.brinkster.com/net2mobile/mapd.aspx

and

http://www.sreid.org/GMapViewer/

This may help to head start...