All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-10-2002, 06:50 PM

Afonso is on a distinguished road
100% sure that P800 will be out b4 Christmas

A friend of mine is a telecomm engineer that has been personaly involved in installing/testing GPRS network infrastructure hardware for GSM operators in my country.
He guarantees me that at least 1 of them already has in stock tousands of units ready for shippment. They just did not released them yet because a new firmware update is expected any time now and so they would save everybody (and SE brand name & support network) the trouble of having to do it so soon after purchasing the equipment.

Have hinted that I am willing to go trough that *trouble* (if just I could get my hands on 1) I now eagerly expect to know what are the my odds...

Old 28-10-2002, 01:28 AM

Mac is on a distinguished road
You are saying that the current P800 is unstable?

Old 28-10-2002, 09:51 AM

I just dont know because I never had the chance to see a P800 let alone hold/drive/test one, nor did my friend he deploys/tests GPRS infrastructure hardware, not terminals.
I assume that if the negative impact on SE brand name (and lost sales opportunities) is judged less damaging than the impact/cost of releasing it right now in its current state followed shortly by a firmware upgrade is an indication that something is still not stable enough.
I personnaly praise SE for this decision because I know how frustrating it is to have a new *toy* full of problems all my Nokia phones had to receive at least 1 firmware upgrade. When asked for advice on any new Nokia model I always answer "Just don't buy it in the first 60-90 days if you do not have the time/pacience to go trough an upgrade".

Old 28-10-2002, 12:46 PM

:) is on a distinguished road
Yeah exactly, when i bought the 7650 i was really excited i got it from the first units! and there was that crashing bug when you fill up the memory, still it took some time to get a new upgrade, alotta people have that firmware.
Last edited by : ) on Thu Jan 02, 1947 11:32 pm, edited 451 times in total

Old 29-10-2002, 03:27 PM

anuvat is on a distinguished road
Under SONY brand, it's a quality product. But under SONY ERICCSONS brand, should be good at least.

Old 29-10-2002, 03:30 PM

anuvat is on a distinguished road
Under SONY brand, it's a quality product.
Under SONY ERICCSONS brand, should be good at least.

Old 29-10-2002, 11:38 PM

stability news

http//www.p800.it/news.htm have received confirmation that the latest firmware version is stable. They say that even the camera now deliver better pictures than before. CD software bundle still not concluded.

Old 03-11-2002, 04:39 AM

The wait is forever? :(

Old 03-11-2002, 11:59 AM

I wish I new...
Had no luck gaining pre-commercial access to one of those "thousands" of units allegedly already on stock in one of the GSM operators of my country

Old 03-11-2002, 02:13 PM

I think the P800 looks already worn out :(

I mean, its not even in the market yet, but when i first saw it i was like:
WHOA!!! SHIT! look at that thing!! What a perfect mobile!!!

But now when you wait forever, and when you read their manual and the whitepaper, it's not that super mobile actually, personally (so i don't get replies of people saying SHUT YOUR HOLE or something like that! :P) I'd rather buy an O2 Xda, which is what i'm saving for. As for digital imaging, its really cool, but i can pick up a better quality digicam and besides, i don't have MMS in my country, so why worry?

But this is one point of view.

The other one: Anybody had any experiences with an XDA?

I read all the reviews, (i think) and its not bad, i can carry it around, i don't mind the size, but my real question is:

How fast can your internet access via GSM be ?(without GPRS)

Old 03-11-2002, 02:54 PM

MaleBuffy is on a distinguished road
Are u serious? Even though the P800 isnt what it promised to be , its surely better then the XDA! O2 sold like what ? 10.000 units? When the P800 comes out they are going to sell 10.000 just the first day! Dont underestimate ppls buying patterns! The XDA is a failure! My advise dont go for it!

malebuffy@allaboutsymbian.com

http://www.symbiandiaries.com/malebuffy
http://www.symbianopensource.com
Ads

Old 03-11-2002, 03:29 PM

Don't do that!
XDA without bluetoth & without GPRS?!! No way!
GSM 1/4 VGA web browsing must be an incredibly stressfull (lots of scrolling + paying by the minute) and expensive experience.
If you are willing to carry something bigger than the P800 the LOOX with the GPRS module is the best (but not cheapest) option at the moment
Best bluetooth implementation (range & #of profiles supported), SD + CF2 expansion. Soon 800x600 CF digi-cam. But with all this it is probably twice the volume, weight & price of the P800 (with half the autonomy).

Old 03-11-2002, 03:58 PM

yeah you guys do have a point there :fadein: (cool new emotions!)

But i don't have GPRS or MMS here, you wonder how i could connect to the internet, i use free internet at home, im just figuring a loop hole so i could get it on mobile (using call back or something)

Not having bluetooth really sucks, thats the only point that concerns me. How am i gonna search and send to people at school ? :(
And theres no way to get bluetooth on it, the SD is'nt SDIO compatible

The pocket LOOX was my first thought when i was lookin for a new phone, but the GSM module has been cancelled, check out www.firsloox.org and its 400MHZ processor is nothing without the OS by its side. But it does have bluetooth and CF II, SD too!

Were turning this into a ppc place!

Well i dunno, i just found out the place im getting from sim free is out of stock (maybe it was for a reason, to rethink and buy something else)
But is it really that bad? i don't mind no GPRS or MMS, but i can live without bluetooth (kind of)

What else sucks?

Old 03-11-2002, 04:55 PM

Boy am I glad that I have resisted the impulse to buy the LOOX on the promise of the forthcomming GPRS module!
NEVER buy anything reliyng on the promise of some future (vaporware) expansion/accessory.

Old 03-11-2002, 05:36 PM

Me too!!!
I have the tendacy to buy everything!(well what i can afford :P) The problem is, my wallet is always near and loaded. But thank god i didnt buy the t68i when it appeared, or the samsung t100 later on, I was really close to paying! but always something comes up