All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-10-2002, 01:29 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
MS launch MS Smartphone with Orange UK and much PR

Microsoft have finally launched an actual product powered by Microsoft Smartphone 2002. The launch is on one network in one country (Orange in the UK, though it looks like the Dane will be getting it too) with HTC built phones with an Orange logo one. To accompany the launch there's been the usual flurry of PR, something which perhaps the overly honest Symbian might think about for its next launch?

I know this is a Symbian site, but I think that something like this deserves coverage. My personal feelings aside (I've done some reading and can't say I'm that impressed by the phone) it is an important day / event in the Smartphone world. As The Register has declared the phoney war is over, and now we will see Symbian and Microsoft really slugging it out. You'll have a ring side seat from this website (and we'll do our best to take a balanced approach).

You can found out more about the phone at some of the websites listed below, some of these most definetely qualify for product massgaing award of the year and others take a much more balanced view.

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/smartphone/hardware/default.asp - learn about the Orange SPV (sound / pictures / video) from Microsoft. Think of the Nokia 7650 pages and you get the idea about what it tells you - i.e. all of it good point, none of the bad.

http://www.orange.com/English/communicate/keepintouch.asp?bhcp=1 - the Orange equivalent.

http://www.handango.com/orange-cobrand/ - The software for the new phone as shown by the co-branded Handango software store.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2002/Oct02/10-22SmartphoneQA.asp - Juha Christensen - formerly of Symbain gets interviewed about the launch. Read it and say 'and we all know who's paying you now' (add 'you slimy traitor' if a devoted Symbian fan).

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2895473,00.html- The ZDNet review of the phone (barf bags recommended even for mild Symbian fans). Hear why David Coursey loves the new phone and how in his opinion it excedes the 7650 and anything else on the market (no really he does say it, but then a Symbian fan might ask if he even knows what blueooth and Java are - both missing from this wonder phone). There's also the interesting claims to end the review when he claims that Micrsoft have 'introduced new technology that has pushed cell phones a big step forward' and 'established order has now been changed to bring Microsoft in as a full player in the cellular business'. I'm wouldn't say there's anything innovative on the phone, certainly nothing that isn't already available. And I think one phone on one network hardly qualifies MS as a full player [e.g. Sendo have several phones on the UK market and they're really noticeable aren't they?]. Whoops apologies there for slipping into pro-Symbian mode.

http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2481.html - is an excellent review from infosync, they like the phone, but it does have it faults, the odd crash, the dreaded hour glass (something the reviwer says he wants nowhere near his phone). There's also a very interesting point about voice quality of the phone - they say its bad - surely this is the most important thing on a phone - however good a smartphone might be of the voice quality on phoecalls is duff no one will want it.

Note: Only read below here if you want some more of my opinion, which I admit maybe skewed to a pro-Symbian standpoint.

There's a few other details I've noted. The processor on the MS phone is 132 MHz - woah! That rather big and still the reports of it being slow and hour glassy (compare this to the ARM 9 at 52Mhz in the 7650). This is evidentally indicative of the poorer design of the MS Smartphone in terms of resource usage. It has important implications for battery life which are suprisingly low is the new phone. The digital camera is an extra addon, its not yet clear whether this is going to be optional extra or wil be supplied with all phone. If its optional then it rather negates the phone use vis a vis the 7650 in terms of picture messaging.

In my opinion the lack of Java and J2ME support might also be very damaging. Midlets look set to become one of the most popular types of addons for phones, and in leaving this out there's a sever reduction in the available program pool. Including midlets the Symbian application pool strecthes to around 1,000 for Series 60, whereas the Smartphone has around 20 at launch.

Also to be considered is the downloading over the air update technology, this has been prasied, but how good is it really. What happens when something goes wrong, what if you don't have the space on your phone or you swicth it off half way through (or runs out of battery), what if you're not on a network which supports this, who pas for the OTA connection? All things to be considered - all in all I'd be far happy getting it updated through my phone dealer / service centre.

All this PR is something that begs an interesting questions - could Symbian and its members improve their launches and the answer - almost certainly with a few strategic interviews and reviews on key websites - which is basicall what MS have done. Symbian have always been very honest and there's been relatively little press massaging from them (a notable example being statements such as there'll be x phones from x companies in x amount of time), but on the whole they don't use langauge which suggests they are the only ones making smartphones. Indeed the launch of the 7650 could have claimed to be truly innovative, but it didn't instead concentrating on substance because that is what is important. Worth considering at any rate.

Your comments?

Old 23-10-2002, 06:46 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
I dont know I thought it was quite understated for a Microsoft release :P

I think Microsoft is much more aware of the web because almost all of its customers use it. They are more used to it and more used to the people who run the web sites.

Companies like Nokia and SE are used to selling devices to the general public many (if not most) of which do not have a PC or browse the web to any great degree. To them the Web is not so much of an obvious means of adverstising their products and they dont put as much money or effort into it. They also have not developed relationships with web sites in the same way. I think they do need to put more effort into this area though.

I wonder if there are some 7650 users who dont have access to a PC at all? Even though this would mean they could not back it up! Can you imagine running a MS Smartphone without backing it up regulary

Even though the MS Smartphone release has been widely reported on the major web sites it does not seem to have created much response on forums etc. Does anyone care about it at all?

Old 24-10-2002, 01:33 AM

MaleBuffy is on a distinguished road
May I kindly remind you that Microsoft "invited" major symbian and wireless websites AFTER they had finished the MS Smartphone OS and phone! So they did not realy listen to the opinions of major web sites but ADVERTISED their product by suposingly listening to their opinions!

The question is one! Why do companies and ppl support a company (M$) that has been on TRIAL with the American governement about business ethics?

I say that it does not really matter what OS the phone uses! If it isnt pretty and small its not a phone! If I want something bigger than the 7650 with great features a will buy an PPC or whatever! NOT a M$ phone!

The mass makrket is that counts and believe me the mass market has no idea of OS, Symbian or MS Smartphone! I hear that the MS Smartphone OS will be a big hit! Where? Every major Mobile phone company licensed the Symbian OS which means 80-90% of the Market will be Symbian! Do you know anybody who bought an XDA? I dont! And if you did then he may already be disapointed!

malebuffy@allaboutsymbian.com

http://www.symbiandiaries.com/malebuffy
http://www.symbianopensource.com

Old 24-10-2002, 07:36 AM

znet

"The Orange Smartphone exceeds the capabilities of the current generation of top-of-the-line handsets, including Siemens S55, Sony Ericsson T68i, and the Symbian-powered Nokia 7650. Perhaps these companies have been sandbagging a bit, waiting for Microsoft's entry into the market, but comparing a Smartphone to the rest of what's out there is depressing if you're determined to not buy Microsoft."

exceeds?
depressing?
why? how?

Old 24-10-2002, 08:11 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
One English term that could be appropriate is "taking the Microsoft shilling."
-- Twitter: @ewan
Ads

Old 24-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Re: znet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor
exceeds?
depressing?
why? how?
Good question! I wonder if the guy in question has actually used both phones.

Old 24-10-2002, 12:31 PM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road
Re: znet

Good question! I wonder if the guy in question has actually used both phones.[/quote]

I thing none of them :roll:

God, I love this roll

Old 24-10-2002, 12:39 PM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road

Old 09-11-2002, 01:03 AM

Jeez listen to you lot bitch like a load of schoolkids. Personally I cant wait to place my order for one when my contract is up at the end of this month. I'm fed up with carrying my 92brick and having borrowed a 7650 for a week wouldnt have one if u paid me. Poor quality, no expandability, over-priced under specced software etc etc etc etc. Having read all the reviews and had a look at the smartphone i think its gonna sell and sell big. You have to rememeber that the phone buying public doesnt give a damn wheather a phone is powered by symbian, microsoft or weetabix - as long as it looks good, will meet their needs and impress their mates. Look at the quality add-on software already available for the phone ahead of its launch.. symbian authors take note.
I could go on all night but i think i'll wait for a few of you anal-retentive types to read this and get steamed up first. Go on... buy one....u know you want to.

Old 09-11-2002, 01:36 AM

MaleBuffy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Jeez listen to you lot bitch like a load of schoolkids. Personally I cant wait to place my order for one when my contract is up at the end of this month. I'm fed up with carrying my 92brick and having borrowed a 7650 for a week wouldnt have one if u paid me. Poor quality, no expandability, over-priced under specced software etc etc etc etc. Having read all the reviews and had a look at the smartphone i think its gonna sell and sell big. You have to rememeber that the phone buying public doesnt give a damn wheather a phone is powered by symbian, microsoft or weetabix - as long as it looks good, will meet their needs and impress their mates. Look at the quality add-on software already available for the phone ahead of its launch.. symbian authors take note.
I could go on all night but i think i'll wait for a few of you anal-retentive types to read this and get steamed up first. Go on... buy one....u know you want to.
Funny, did you place an order for the Z100 as well? You realy want us to believe someone borrowed you a 7650 for a week? No chance m8. You say that the market doesn't give a damn what OS a phone has, as long it looks good? If you prefer the looks of the SVP you have a serious taste
issue!

Quote:
Look at the quality add-on software already available for the phone ahead of its launch..
Yeah to bad its never going to be releases...or is it? However, the ratio is like 1000 to 10!

Is funny how some people are good at beeing losers! You are brilliant

Always yours,

One of the 80% of the market using Symbian OS

malebuffy@allaboutsymbian.com

http://www.symbiandiaries.com/malebuffy
http://www.symbianopensource.com

Old 06-12-2002, 01:19 AM

naivri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
http//www.theregister.co.uk/content/64/28351.html

^^ read that first lame ass ^^

yes....this phone will only run microsoft certified software.............!

that means no freeware programs. No-one coding useful wee apps. No emulators that wont cost u a fortune

yeah....im gonna smash my 7650 and bolt out now and buy one!

Old 06-12-2002, 01:27 AM

naivri is on a distinguished road
update to above post

http//www.theregister.co.uk/content/64/28393.html

oh yeah............must ditch my 7650 and get one of these