All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-10-2002, 08:59 AM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Did anyone watch RI:SE this morning??

I woke up this morning to find myself watching a feature on RI:SE breakfast television about the new MS Smartphone and the new Hutchinson 3G phone.

I can't believe how naive some of these programs can be. They had a so-called expert from Stuff Magazine, that was saying moving images/ video capture isn't possible until the 3G phones were released. I've been Streaming/Recording moving images for months on my 7650, and for some of you with 9210's probably even longer!!

They also mentioned that you could download Applications for your phone (Like it was a new and marvellous thing), they did a feature on the 7650 not so long back and made out that it was a Picture Phone that could send email. No other features mentioned.

So why is it that when MS bring out a phone people dig deeper into what it can do. As far as I can see the 7650 can do all that the MS phone can, so why would they not mention it then?

The MS Smartphone was released yesterday on Orange (UK) for 180 on contract. For anyone that is interested

*Rant Over*

Izzo

Old 23-10-2002, 09:38 AM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
What else do you expect from blind journos who can see no further than their own noses (which are usually firmly placed between Ballmer's buttocks)?

Clueless? Dumb? Foolish? Idiotic? Ill advised? Uninformed? And they're their good points!

Microsoft is no doubt pumping money into its spin machine ten-to-the-dozen, insisting that it invented electricity, the wheel and the idea of world peace. Let's run a book; how long before we see Tony Blair with a Microsoft Smartphone?

Watching Microsoft and it's brainless bimbo fangirls take credit for other people's work really winds me up!!!!!!

J2theIZZO, I hate you for telling me about this! I was in blissful ignorance until you told me!!!!!!

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 23-10-2002, 10:08 AM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
It does annoy me that Symbian have been around for a while now and they have had 0 publicity in the public eye.

MS bring out a smartphone and get on National TV after a day.

I was speaking to a guy in a NSC in leeds a few weeks ago and he DIDN'T know what Symbian was, so if a guy that works for Nokia (Well, Carphone Warehouse) doesn't know, how is the "regular" guy on the street going to know what his 7650/9210 can do?

It was rather funny that the guy from Stuff mentioned that it was an MS phone and it had already crashed on him in one morning

Old 23-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
2 different marketing strategies at work. Symbian don't advertise themselves, all the marketing is down to the phone manufacturer and as such if you look at the ads Nokia market the devices how it markets phones. On the other hand the M$ phones are bein made by a "no-name" in Taiwan and M$ are doing the legwork and throwing money at marketing, as such M$ are obviously gonna advertise it as a swiss-army-knife-cum-kitchen-sink.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 23-10-2002, 01:24 PM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
It's also interesting to see how quickly Orange got the phone out. They're usually a few months behind the rest - so who paid who to slip past the usual channels?

:roll:

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 23-10-2002, 01:41 PM
Administrator

I wasn't even aware that the phone was due for release until this morning, apparently Orange had a big launch party somewhere in London last night.

Do you always this Symbian will operate in this way?, I suppose MS have a bit more power (Money) to do such a thing as bring out their own phone.

I'm just worried that Symbian will slip away and big phone companys will turn to MS for their OS needs, becuase it's fashionable to have an MS phone, whilst nobody but the PDA/Phone nutter knows about Symbian.
Ads

Old 23-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2theIZZO
I'm just worried that Symbian will slip away and big phone companys will turn to MS for their OS needs, becuase it's fashionable to have an MS phone, whilst nobody but the PDA/Phone nutter knows about Symbian.
I doubt that will happen - given the fact that between them Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola, Panasonic, Siemens and (I think) Samsung own around 80% of Symbian, and they account for 90 odd percent of total mobile sales. They want an OS customised to their phones, not a data sheet from BillG that says... your phone must have X processor, Y Ram, XxY screen size, etc...
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 23-10-2002, 02:10 PM
Administrator

I suppose I was just thinking worst case scenario!

I suppose Symbian don't really have to promote themselves to the public too much, just show that they have a stable OS platform to the Phone comany. I haven't had chance to get my grubby hands on an MS phone yet, but I assume that it won't get near Symbian in the reliability stakes reading Rafe's news post.

Old 23-10-2002, 02:11 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Just posted my comment on this as a news item.

What will interest me is how heavily Orange promotes this over the 7650 (which is a very simarly spec'd phone - less memory, but has java and bluetooth).

I'd also be interested to hear how stable the phone is.

I know some people ahve had the odd problem with nokia 7650 locking it up, but as far as I'm aware that the exception as opposed to the rule and the 7650 for most people operate day to day just as a phone should, no slow downs and no crashing.

The marketing exercise is very interesting point. Persoanlly I think Symbian would be well advised to courst the journos a bit more, but thats just me. As it is this is the only site I've found so far with some reaction to the smartphone that isn't almost all praiseworthy (infosync being an almost there case).