All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 31-01-2005, 03:44 PM

uvatha is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Memory Stick Duo

I was looking for a mem stick and found a great price at the MyMemory website
(https://www.mymemory.co.uk/)...got a 256MB Mem Stick Duo for 30.99...and all told (Inc p&p) for 33.94.

Uvatha

Old 05-02-2005, 02:38 PM

Card arrived today (saturday 5th) and is what it was advertised to be and came with the memory stick adaptor for the Sony PDAs.

I would recommend MyMemory if your looking for an inexpensive mem stick duo. Mine is now in use as music store for the Ogg Vorbis prog.

uvatha

Old 19-02-2005, 12:10 PM

Smile Further order...

I remember seeing a thread regarding incompatibility of the DUO card with someones reader. Well, I bought a USB2 reader from MyMemory that will read the Duo, albeit with the Mem stick adaptor. Much faster way of downloading Ogg tunes.

Uvatha

Old 21-02-2005, 03:49 PM

SRALPH is on a distinguished road
I found a USB adaptor from SanDisk that handles all of the Sony formats - MS, PRO, Duo & PRO Duo. It was ~ US$20 at BestBuy and no adaptors are required. Its called the MobileMate MS+.

Old 21-02-2005, 08:14 PM

Bigfeat is on a distinguished road
My recent purchase was 65 including next day FedEx for a Sandisk 1GB MS Pro Duo. I can get the Sony ones for about 83 now. I think the last 512 I purchased was about 35. I don't own any 256mbs, but I have the (3) 1GBs - 2 Sandisk + 1 Sony branded, (5) 512mbs and over (30) 128mbs. These sticks have become very useful for my Sony PSP and other memory stick dependent devices. I have not noticed any differences between the manufacturers. So the cheapest stick will give you the same result in a Pxxx. The Pxxx can not discern between high-speed mem sticks and standard ones.

So if you're paying 30.99 for 256mbs you are way over paying m8...

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T

Old 21-02-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeat
My recent purchase was 65 including next day FedEx for a Sandisk 1GB MS Pro Duo. I can get the Sony ones for about 83 now. I think the last 512 I purchased was about 35. I don't own any 256mbs, but I have the (3) 1GBs - 2 Sandisk + 1 Sony branded, (5) 512mbs and over (30) 128mbs. These sticks have become very useful for my Sony PSP and other memory stick dependent devices. I have not noticed any differences between the manufacturers. So the cheapest stick will give you the same result in a Pxxx. The Pxxx can not discern between high-speed mem sticks and standard ones.

Where did you get these stics...such as the 512MB one?

Uvatha

Old 23-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvatha
Where did you get these stics...such as the 512MB one?

Uvatha
I get them from a local "mom & pop" camera shop that I've been doing business with for quite a few years. Their prices are very competive. Unfortunately they do not have an e-commerce business setup.

Ads

Old 26-02-2005, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I get them from a local "mom & pop" camera shop that I've been doing business with for quite a few years. Their prices are very competive. Unfortunately they do not have an e-commerce business setup.
Not much use to the rest of us ...anybody else 'out there' have a good source for Mem stics that the rest of us can get access to?

Uvatha

Old 27-02-2005, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Well...what about the Sandisk 1GB Pro Duo one then? Or is that also a 'mom&pop' purchase

Uvatha

Old 27-02-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Not much use to the rest of us ...anybody else 'out there' have a good source for Mem stics that the rest of us can get access to
Further to my last...UK peeps can get the 1GB Sandisk version at Amazon for
129.99..so can you quote a better online deal (for UK users) than MyMemory which currently offers the !GB disk for (wait for it).....89.99?

We wait to be impressed!!!

Uvatha

Old 27-02-2005, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Well...what about the Sandisk 1GB Pro Duo one then? Or is that also a 'mom&pop' purchase

Uvatha
You've already got a "great" deal as you stated in your initial post so don't worry about it m8. I have residence both in the UK and elsewhere which means I have access to more sources. I have purchased sticks for members on this and other boards for the past few months simply because they had difficulties of obtaining them. I don't have a "top-secret" source, but simply access that which many may not have. I have been buying duo sticks since they were first released in Japan a few yrs ago. I picked up the first released 128mb DUOs at the Akihabara then and once they were released in the UK 3 months later prices were inflated by 3x. There definately are price discrepancies depending on which part of the globe you're in. One thing I can tell you for sure is that the prices I'm paying for mine are not putting a dent in the manufacturer's pockets as it isn't below the vendor's profit margins. If anything else I would say I'm still "overpaying".

Sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's a bummer that you are paying way over the MSRP. But I guess you're gonna have to deal with getting shafted by these price gougers as long as you're limited to your regional sources.

FYI: This is the latest stick that I purchased for 65 including a free next day FedEx air special...

Sandisk 1G MS Pro Duo

Old 28-02-2005, 12:17 AM

Quote:
You've already got a "great" deal as you stated in your initial post so don't worry about it m8. I have residence both in the UK and elsewhere which means I have access to more sources. I have purchased sticks for members on this and other boards for the past few months simply because they had difficulties of obtaining them. I don't have a "top-secret" source,(do I call you James? ) but simply access that which many may not have. I have been buying duo sticks since they were first released in Japan a few yrs ago. I picked up the first released 128mb DUOs at the Akihabara then and once they were released in the UK 3 months later prices were inflated by 3x. There definately are price discrepancies depending on which part of the globe you're in. One thing I can tell you for sure is that the prices I'm paying for mine are not putting a dent in the manufacturer's pockets as it isn't below the vendor's profit margins. If anything else I would say I'm still "overpaying".

Sounds like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's a bummer that you are paying way over the MSRP. But I guess you're gonna have to deal with getting shafted by these price gougers as long as you're limited to your regional sources....FYI: This is the latest stick that I purchased for 65 including a free next day FedEx air special... see below as regards 'global retailers'

Sandisk 1G MS Pro Duo

Well...tried the site you quoted...but they won't accept UK/European registration (anybody else any luck?...in the east...far east?)... :-(

So your point in coming to this thread was....?...we in the UK/Europe will be shafted by some US (not all US!!!) retailers? They (Chumbo) aren't what I'd call a 'mom&dad' retailer with no e-store

Let's face it we in the UK know that we're being ripped off...but its good to hear that there are retailers here in the UK/Europe that can offer competitive prices to the high street/bogus 'world' wide web sites...with out some 'bigfeat/mouth' telling us we're being ripped off

Uvatha

Last edited by uvatha; 28-02-2005 at 12:39 AM.

Old 28-02-2005, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Well...tried the site you quoted...but they won't accept UK/European registration (anybody else any luck?)... :-(
So your point in coming to this thread was....?...we in the UK/Europe will be shafted by some US (not all US!!!) retailers? They (Chumbo) aren't what I'd call a 'mom&dad' retailer with no e-store

Uvatha
The Long Rider (Nazgul)
First of all there is nothing in the Topic headline or your first couple post where you state the thread was ONLY applicable to UK retailers. I'm a vet on this forum and never thought there was an implied understanding that all topics would be related only to UK retailers.

In addition, I did not purchase from the company you have listed. So why did you insinuate that? I only utilized their pics because the store I do purchase from does NOT have an online retail store as I stated in my original post. So for you to make that correlation means you don't know how to read carefully.

In any ways, you started this thread about getting some great deals so why bother looking further. This is a cyclical topic anyway. Continue paying what you pay and I'll enjoy my prices whether I buy my sticks from Japan, the States, or elsewhere. Good luck on your endless search m8....

Old 28-02-2005, 01:10 AM

Quote:
First of all there is nothing in the Topic headline or your first couple post where you state the thread was ONLY applicable to UK retailers. I'm a vet on this forum and never thought there was an implied understanding that all topics would be related only to UK retailers.

I would have thought the .co.uk element gave it away...be you vet or newbie...maybe you should get glasses :-)

In addition, I did not purchase from the company you have listed. So why did you insinuate that? I only utilized their pics because the store I do purchase from does NOT have an online retail store as I stated in my original post. So for you to make that correlation means you don't know how to read carefully.

Then why quote the link...or was that hidden in the image???...maybe you should be more careful how you post images

In any ways, you started this thread about getting some great deals so why bother looking further. This is a cyclical topic anyway. Continue paying what you pay and I'll enjoy my prices whether I buy my sticks from Japan, the States, or elsewhere. Good luck on your endless search m8....
I started this link coz we in the UK usually get shafted ( as you so eloquently put it)...in that maybe some of us can get a good deal...? I have never denied that folks stateside (mostly)/travelled get a much better deal!!!

Uvatha

Old 28-02-2005, 03:00 AM

Talking

Yet again, the UK and the rest of Europe gets phones like the Pxxx series at discounted rates through contract carriers where others elsewhere have to pay inflated grey market prices for them. I guess the balance of things don't make things that bad after all.