All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-01-2005, 10:28 AM

boogieindubai is on a distinguished road
Question POLL/r u happy with ur x?would u buy it again?

hi, because of so much negative feedback from so many people("101 things to do with your unwanted X ) i was wondering if there are people in here who like their x and if they would get one if they didnt have one today.

i personally like my x, i've had it for 3mons+ now. ofcourse there r things that i dont like about it (the mic gives up on me sometimes>tighten the screw and it works again, battery life isnt that good> i use upto two bars in the battery indicator per day, havin small dust particles underneath the display) but there are lots of other things that i love about it(looks great!!!,sits perfectly in my hand, has a nice build quality, the stereo speakers, the display(much better than n6600) and lots of other stuff.

if i didnt have an x i would buy one again today(hmm ok it would be a real tight race between the x and the mpx220). the x is definetly a keeper (for me), atleast til that 5mp phone comes from samsung

anyways i just wanted to know what the rest of u all feel.

ps: just outta curiousity>> do they have so much software for windows mobile as they do for symbian??

Old 20-01-2005, 10:39 AM
omegax

I would say im happy with my Sendo. Ive never had any mic problems, its has great sound thanks to the stero speakers, and it actually looks like a phone

There are a couple things i dont understand though. How the phone has 16mb RAM, but after bootup, only 4.5mb is available. Also, how its takes so long for a vodafone firmware update to be made available.

Old 20-01-2005, 11:10 AM

jac57 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

no i would not buy this phone again, poor sound or no sound, and very poor after sales care from sendo, and you cant get accessories, now going to get another phone as this one is dead, and still waiting for cradle
Ads

Old 20-01-2005, 12:45 PM

euphoriauk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Great!

I love my X
It's got great functions & features.
Yes, it had a few little problems but most of these where resolved through last firmware update (now only a few minor problems exist on my phone).
The firmware updates - Great idea
The Sendo Support - Very comprehensive FAQ and very quick to respond with useful information.

It will be interesting to see Sendo's next smartphone!

Old 20-01-2005, 12:57 PM

pelwell is on a distinguished road
:icon14:

On the whole, yes - I think I made the right choice. I've had problems with mine, but I've learnt to live with them, although I still find myself switching back to the Now screen (using the hangup key) when I meant to move right. If only the edge of the circular control had been a millimetre or two thicker...

For me, the real question is would I have bought another phone, knowing what I know now? Well, I wouldn't be so keen to get it, and I'd have held on until the price drop, but I can't think of another phone which would have suited me better.

I know some people have had real difficulties, so perhaps I've just been lucky, but I would probably buy one again (after thinking very hard).

Old 20-01-2005, 01:49 PM
MAJ25

My review

Since I started the 101 things to do... I thought I'd better respond!

The concept of the phone is great. It looks good, feels good and has the potential to be a great all-round phone for business and leisure users. The only grip I have is its reliability which should be fixed by the firmware update, but it seems there is no guarantee of this as people have reported on this forum.

The idea of firmware updates is good, but in this case it seems has been used as an excuse to release the phone early and resolve the problems later leaving the user with great expectations. With something that claims to be this good then it should live up to the expectations from the start. Anything added through a firmware update should just be extra - like features, cosmetics (themes!!!) etc. If you're playing with operating system's setup because of faults - perhaps it wasnt good enough to release in the first place.

Would I buy another one? Or would I make the same choice again? No - I dont think so. If everything worked and Sendo/Vodafone were quicker off the mark with the firmware update then I wouldnt hesitate to reccommend it to anyone. The X seems to be a white elephant as very few people have heard of it - even some of the big companies that we get our ringtones/software etc from. It seems Sendo arent in the Nokia, Samsung, Siemens arena yet so cant play with the big boys.

The fact is the phone was a late release (in the UK anyway) and since its arrival there are lots of phones just as good and probably more reliable on the market for the same price. I tried my sisters Samsung last week and it was great and I struggled to find the advantages in having the X.

Perhaps I experience all the problems with this phone because I use it to its full potential and want to test it to the max utilising every application - I want a phone with good leisure and business capabilities and I dont think this is quite there yet.

Sorry Sendo, I do like to buy British though where I can!!!!

If you would like to send me the next release of your phone then I will be more than happy to review it and give you a good unbiased user review... here's hoping!!

Old 20-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
I definitely made the correct decission, and I'd definitely buy it again!

Yes, of course it has problems, and yes, some of them have been quite serious. But for me the big difference is that Sendo are actually willing to help, by releasing software updates, by being interested in how to reproduce bugs, by not ignoring their customers....

I came to this phone having read about it for months. I'd never owned a Sendo previously, and regarded them as "cheap cr*p for the PAYG market". I'd never owned a S60 handset before, but had played with some friends Nokias.

I was instantly impressed. Before getting the phone I was trying to find ways to turn off the Now! screen as I thought I'd hate it - within 5 minutes of turning the phone on, I couldn't live without it!

This is one of the VERY FEW phones I've ever owned which hasn't continually peed me off in use. There's none of the annoyances of my previous Nokias, SEs, NECs, Motorollas etc., the phone does what it says it will do, and it does it well!

I can't wait to see Sendo's next smartphone - I think they've learnt a lot from this one, and seeing as it wiped the floor with the rest of the market when it was announced, if Sendo can get the next one into release sooner after announcing it than this one, they'll wipe the floor again!

As a quick guess...I reckon the next Sendo smartphone will be...

Megapixel camera (probably at least 2MP)
3G / UTMS / GSM / GPRS / EDGE
Dual camera
candy bar design
MMC / SD support (maybe SDIO)
bigger screen resolution
Symbian 7 or 8 (depends if they stick S60 or not)
SoniX stereo sound
MP3 / 3GPP / WAV / AMR / MPG support
Bluetooth / IRDA
Wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
128MB user RAM
thinner, lighter than this one
USB2 interface

...and much, much more...

Old 20-01-2005, 03:16 PM

ahben_23 is on a distinguished road
Smile

i think i have made the right choice for chosen x...however,i just don't like those filmware problem..like can't pick up call when mp3 r playing..overall,i'll give a 75/100 for sendo x

Old 20-01-2005, 05:26 PM
MAJ25

I think Stuclark is on commission!! No we're not going to give you our X's (as posted in the 101 things to do with you unwanted X).

You're very fortunate that you have a perfect phone. Maybe you have a special release model? OR maybe you work for Sendo?!!

On the whole the experience I have had with Sendo's support team is good, but it would be so much better if they just released this damm firmware and kept us all quiet. They didnt seem to know about setting up the email service on the phone - that took me weeks of agony and was eventually sorted by a kind man from Vodafone (Bluewater store - thankyou!!!)

Mind you this forum is interesting and passes a few minutes a day at work!!

Old 20-01-2005, 08:50 PM

SPEEDMAN is on a distinguished road
what i think is wrong is the sometimes bad working applications.

GPRS stops, programs give errors for no reason
no receiving calls in mp3
sometimes in GPRS my phone just stops. Black screen and off
now i have the microphone problem.
i ordered a T6 screwdriver, i hope it helps my problems with the mic.

to bad i have to play the technician to make it work.

to end this: i'd never buy it again and would buy a more efficient phone with less bugs.

sry to say this...
"Play a java game and send yourself an SMS, stand back and watch how the phone freezes up for 30 seconds or so. Even worse, send yourself an sms and call yourself at the same time. The phone reboots. "

Old 20-01-2005, 09:11 PM

jklondon is on a distinguished road
well just evaluating mine against my P910, not sure yet. The feel of the phone isnt upto the SE standard BUT I do really like the interface, its slick and well thought out.....difficult one! Could always have both buts that no good

Old 21-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Nutzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDMAN
what i think is wrong is the sometimes bad working applications.

GPRS stops, programs give errors for no reason
no receiving calls in mp3
sometimes in GPRS my phone just stops. Black screen and off
now i have the microphone problem.
i ordered a T6 screwdriver, i hope it helps my problems with the mic.

to bad i have to play the technician to make it work.

to end this: i'd never buy it again and would buy a more efficient phone with less bugs.

sry to say this...
BRAVO SPEEDMAN I THIK U WAKE UP TO REALITY ,nice one dude, i hope u are going to sell it

Old 21-01-2005, 01:14 AM

darkmuck is on a distinguished road
I've had more problems with my 50 firmware compared to 60. I still have infrequent program crashes and the bettery meter now seems to not be accurate at all. Other than that the 60 firmware seemed to fix many of the problems. If I had a chance to buy again I'd probably go for either the nokia 6260 (flip symbian), moto razr (not smartphone but sweet device), or other phone i can't think of thats cool ... lol as long as it isn't riddled with bugs

Old 21-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJ25
I think Stuclark is on commission!! No we're not going to give you our X's (as posted in the 101 things to do with you unwanted X).

You're very fortunate that you have a perfect phone. Maybe you have a special release model? OR maybe you work for Sendo?!!
2 words... "I WISH"

No, I'm not on commission. No, I don't work for Sendo. No, my phones haven't been perfect or special release models, I've had just as many problems as some others. However, I am lucky in that Sendo have been able to help me out, and I now have a *touch wood* very stable, functioning phone which I love!

Old 21-01-2005, 10:35 AM

suburbian69 is on a distinguished road
Well, I got a serious boll***ing from my fiancee yesterday for ignoring "hundreds" of her calls....Now, I always knew that the X struggled a bit with Oggplay because with my SX1 I used to being able to read a mobipocket book, write messages, pick up e-mail etc. whilst still listening to music. I've never been able to multitask on the X, and I've sort of gotten used to that. However, it turns out that when I'm using Oggplay, the rest of the phone just shuts down completely. I had no missed call logs, but after closing Oggplay I did get a voicemail notification (and it wasn't a particularly friendly message I had to listen to, either!).

Secondly, it's also utterly pointless trying to watch videos. I have loads of smartmovie and .3gp files which I can use on my SX1 without any problem, but both types of video stutter badly when viewed on my X, so I've given up with that idea.

It's a shame, because I've found the X really nice to use, and I prefer the look and feel of it to the SX1. It has a few nifty little features like themes, flash, Now! screen, etc. It also has plenty of internal memory for storage and a well thought out selection of software. I've also found the customer support excellent.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go back to my SX1 for now. Being able to listen to music or watch movie clips on my phone is essential to me, and as I can no longer do either reliably, my X has been relegated to an 'occasional use' phone at best. I'll would be more than happy to come back to the X if this could be fixed, but I'm doubtful...

Next 'phone' I'm getting is the i-Mate Jam. Hopefully that should be able to handle more than one application at a time!