All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-01-2005, 10:58 AM

andrea65 is on a distinguished road
Help: 6630 and PC suite program installer

When I run nokia application installer instead of viewing the installed programs on the phone i have the following message: "The contents of the currently selected phone model cannot be shown by this application".
I can install applications, but I cannto uninstall them and I cannot see what is installed.
I tried both with BT and USB.
I can sync (although i cannot sych the email), back-up and use the phone as a modem
I have Windows XP SP2
PC Suite version is 6.41 (just downloaded from nokia site) and nokia says that is compatible with 6630.
Phone firmware is 3.45.110 02/12/2004
Any suggestion?
Thank you in advance
Ads

Old 14-01-2005, 11:26 AM

Utenteanonimo64 is on a distinguished road
Same here.... but you can uninstall applications directly from the phone menu...

UA

Old 14-01-2005, 01:03 PM

andrea65 is on a distinguished road
Yes. But the Nokia site says that the new version of PC Suite is compatible with the 6630. Anyway I just tried to uninstall all nokia stuff and reinstall it without any result.
I have also noted that on th BT connection utilizing phone selector the phone type is not nokia 6630 but is the name of the phone...
BTW Anyway to synch the emailbox with outlook?

Old 14-01-2005, 01:41 PM

no email synch and no application uninstall.... the problem with PC Suite is that half of the programs in it work with half of the Nokia phones!!! So 3 quarters of the menu items don't make sense!!!

UA

Last edited by Utenteanonimo64; 14-01-2005 at 02:38 PM.

Old 19-01-2005, 09:36 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Your math skills need some polishing, Utenteanonimo64.

The only PC Suite app that doesn't work with Symbian phones at all is the text message editor (as there's a corresponding piece of software functionality missing on the phone for that). If you run Windows XP, try the Microsoft SMS Sender app:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

For the sync app, the only thing that doesn't work with Series 60 phones is email sync.

For the app installer, the only thing that doesn't work with Symbian phones is uninstallation (you have to do it with the application manager on the phone).

Old 19-01-2005, 10:27 PM

fannypad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
For the sync app, the only thing that doesn't work with Series 60 phones is email sync.
Is there a 3rd party app that can do this?

With the 6630 being the first phone I've owned that I'd actually want to use to read my emails offline, it's a bit disappointing not being able to sync them.

Old 20-01-2005, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
Your math skills need some polishing, Utenteanonimo64.

The only PC Suite app that doesn't work with Symbian phones at all is the text message editor....

For the app installer, the only thing that doesn't work with Symbian phones is uninstallation (you have to do it with the application manager on the phone).
Well that's quite a lot of stuff, isn't it?

UA

Old 20-01-2005, 08:21 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
It is one app of a dozen and two additional features from all those other apps that don't work with Series 60 phones. In addition, there are many, many times more non-Series 60 phones made and sold than Series 60 phones.

Quite far from "half of the programs in it work with half of the Nokia phones" and "three quarters of menu items don't work", in my opinion (and the way I learned arithmetics).

Old 20-01-2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
Quite far from "half of the programs in it work with half of the Nokia phones" and "three quarters of menu items don't work", in my opinion (and the way I learned arithmetics).
The way I learned User Interface guidance rules, they should have issued two software packages, one for Symbian phones and one for Series 40 phones.
The fact that a lot of new Series 60 users (including me btw) come here to the forum and ask why something in PC Suite is not working is evidence of Nokia's poor understanding of the end user behaviour with PC software.

UA

Old 23-01-2005, 02:20 AM

ckoonyin is on a distinguished road
I'm having the same problem too, being unable to see the prorams that has been installed in my phone using PC suite but got around it by removing it via apps manager