All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-01-2005, 03:26 PM

jonvision is on a distinguished road
Well, this apply to vodafone sweden but it should not be that big of a difference.

I have been in contact with vodafone stores, vodafone customer service and nokia careline. No solution so far but some information.

The unlock codes depends on the sim-card and are not anything that nokia has anything to do with. All codes from vodafone should be in their possesion. As the only code that nokia has is the security code 12345 which is deffault in all nokia phones.

The service store can't put in the generic version unless the unlock code has been applied. They have a computer which does the job for them, so with vodafone you get vodafone.

The guess from the Nokia support person was that all locks to vodafone comes from the sim-card when you start your phone for the first time.

Vodafone in sweden says that they don't have any codes and redirects me to vodafone stores. They say that they just distibute the phones and redirects me back to the support.

Now I will try to return the phone with full refund + money for the nokia discount I had which only was valid in december for a few days. If they say no, which i guess they will. Then I can turn to a swedish consumers organisation and hope that they think that vodafone is wrong.

I don't mind the lock to the vodafone sim-card, it is all the software limitations I don't like. And they didn't tell me this when I bought the phone, so I think that is false marketing. And they have downgraded the memorycard from 64MB to 32MB, which I also wasn't informed about. Maybe that makes a case, if not everything is as usual, or maybe they will think that I am right against vodafone. Then probably more consumers will follow.

This is sweden and I don't know if everything is the same in the U.K but i don't think nokia do it any other way elsewhere. And if that is the case, then vodafone has the unlock codes, because they generated them.

sorry for any crappy english that may accur.

/jon

Old 19-01-2005, 05:02 PM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonvision
The unlock codes depends on the sim-card and are not anything that nokia has anything to do with. All codes from vodafone should be in their possesion. As the only code that nokia has is the security code 12345 which is deffault in all nokia phones.
No some nokias are preset to lock to the first sim that is placed in them you see a message saying "Sim Restriction On" I think orange still use this method but not Vodafone as the first sim plaed in my Voda 6630 was an Orange Sim.

[quote=jonvision]
The guess from the Nokia support person was that all locks to vodafone comes from the sim-card when you start your phone for the first time.
[quote]

The phone is locked not the sim if the sim was locked then you will be unable to use it in any other phone. This is not the case.

SIM number is also not a factor in locking. The phones can be programmed to lock to a particular sim but if you place another voda simcard into your phone you should find it function fine.
[quote]

And I object to ANY locking and branding on the phone do as when the contractis up the handset belongs to me and I find it disgusting that I have to pay for unlock codes to use my handset wheverever, howerver, and whatever way I wish.

The codes are given to Vodafone by Nokia and are geenerated by a mix of the IMEI and Vodafones Network Code. Voda then store these ar calc them later on at request.

Whatever is happening is a failure to provide codes from nokia or vodafone delibratly delaying requesting these codes from nokia. It seems to be effecting oly vodafone because ive seen posts where people HAVE got unlock codes from their provider.

Old 29-01-2005, 05:24 AM

Eltoroeire is on a distinguished road
Vodafone are a bunch of tossers who read 1984 and thought it was a management seminar!

Regarding codes, they don“t have any. They thought they“d be so fucking smart and lock the phones real tight that they can“t even open them themselves.
They gave me codes about 2 weeks ago that obviously didn“t work and then told me to send the phone into them so they“d unlock it.
But once they got it, they told me I“d have to wait about 2 weeks for them to get the codes. That was yesterday or the day before. Can“t remember, I“m on a shift of nights this week and can“t remember which way my arse faces.
Well I told them to stuff it; I wanted my money back, and to cancel my account. Perfectly within my rights to do so. They sold me something that doesn“t do what they said it does. i.e. work on other networks. Initially I was told it would take 5 days to get my code. This was in the shop. HA!
So they mulled on it and said they“d give me a vanilla fone straight away. Well on Monday.
So, I urge everyone with a vodafone model to do the same. Stuff their capricious branding up their fucking arses and demand a generic model. The more that do it the more it will hurt them and the less likely the“ll be in the future to be so trigger happy with their crap invasive branding.

whoever mentioned an anti voda website is definitely on to something. I, for one will help.

Rant Over......

Old 29-01-2005, 10:02 AM

fannypad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltoroeire
Vodafone are a bunch of tossers who read 1984 and thought it was a management seminar!

Regarding codes, they don“t have any. They thought they“d be so fucking smart and lock the phones real tight that they can“t even open them themselves.
They gave me codes about 2 weeks ago that obviously didn“t work and then told me to send the phone into them so they“d unlock it.
But once they got it, they told me I“d have to wait about 2 weeks for them to get the codes. That was yesterday or the day before. Can“t remember, I“m on a shift of nights this week and can“t remember which way my arse faces.
Well I told them to stuff it; I wanted my money back, and to cancel my account. Perfectly within my rights to do so. They sold me something that doesn“t do what they said it does. i.e. work on other networks. Initially I was told it would take 5 days to get my code. This was in the shop. HA!
So they mulled on it and said they“d give me a vanilla fone straight away. Well on Monday.
So, I urge everyone with a vodafone model to do the same. Stuff their capricious branding up their fucking arses and demand a generic model. The more that do it the more it will hurt them and the less likely the“ll be in the future to be so trigger happy with their crap invasive branding.

whoever mentioned an anti voda website is definitely on to something. I, for one will help.

Rant Over......

Too bloody right!

Gwan Eltoroeire the consumer rights crusader!!!

Bunch of greedy fuckwits the lot of em. As I said before, I'd be more than willing to design and host an anti vodafone website if someone helps out with the content. Time to put and end to them thoroughly shafting their customers with bodged phones and bullshit artistry is what I say.

Old 29-01-2005, 02:44 PM

The_Fellowship is an unknown quantity at this point
Will they give you a replacement generic handset just like that?

Edit: Just called them up and they won't send out a generic replacement. Keep saying all they can do is re-request the NUC (Network Unlock Code). Even though it probably won't even work!

Is it worth getting OFCOM involved?

Last edited by The_Fellowship; 29-01-2005 at 03:30 PM.

Old 30-01-2005, 12:29 AM

If you make an official complaint to Vodafone the next step will be a complaint to Ofcom.

Worse Case Scenerio is that they say theres nothign they can do but if enougth of us complain they prob will.

Best case is that a few ofcom complaints will have them breathing down their necks and make them shift a bit quicker. Ive had to contact oftel twice in the past when continual complaints to the entwork have fallen on Deaf ears and usually just a "query" rather than a complaint usually gets the networks moving damn quick.

A few of them ought to get them moving a bit.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/contact_ofcom/tel_issues/

Technically your supposed to wait 12 weeks in the case of a complaint but I never have in the past :/ expecially for queries as there not technically complaints but they do get forwarded to Networks.

I emailed a formal complaint into Vodafone about 2 weeks ago and got fed the usual email speil so go figure.

Last edited by Unplugged; 30-01-2005 at 12:34 AM.

Old 30-01-2005, 10:58 PM

Jj03 is on a distinguished road
vodafone...

well, wasn't the fella who claimed to work for vodafone polite...lol...ive forwarded a complaint to voda with his details and copy'd and pasted his little rant...

right...i work for carphone warehouse in bolton, and right next door to me is the vodafone shop...having spoke to the manager there, regarding the voda situation, he's been inundated with returns and complaints regarding their disabling of a superb smartphone...

what i do know is, the 6630 isn't a dct4 phone...havind tried every unlocker known to man...seriously...via pc, or be it a java unlocker on the handset...

i myself have been advising people who ask about smartphones generally, NOT to buy one with vodafone because of the obvious...you can guarentee that o2's version of the 6630 won't have any of these problems... We all know, when you go into a phone shop, 9 out of 10 staff haven't a bloody clue what they are talking about, and seeling you guys a phone without any knowledge at all about that phone is scandalous....i may start a petition myself..against stupid sales staff...lol...see phones4u for details...symbian??? whats that??? i was once told.lol....

Old 30-01-2005, 11:23 PM

daywalker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jj03
well, wasn't the fella who claimed to work for vodafone polite...lol...ive forwarded a complaint to voda with his details and copy'd and pasted his little rant...

right...i work for carphone warehouse in bolton, and right next door to me is the vodafone shop...having spoke to the manager there, regarding the voda situation, he's been inundated with returns and complaints regarding their disabling of a superb smartphone...

what i do know is, the 6630 isn't a dct4 phone...havind tried every unlocker known to man...seriously...via pc, or be it a java unlocker on the handset...

i myself have been advising people who ask about smartphones generally, NOT to buy one with vodafone because of the obvious...you can guarentee that o2's version of the 6630 won't have any of these problems... We all know, when you go into a phone shop, 9 out of 10 staff haven't a bloody clue what they are talking about, and seeling you guys a phone without any knowledge at all about that phone is scandalous....i may start a petition myself..against stupid sales staff...lol...see phones4u for details...symbian??? whats that??? i was once told.lol....
i couldnt agree more, maybe a few more of us should pass on his comments to vodafone

Nokia 5110
Ericsson T20
Nokia 3310
Nokia 8210
Samsung A300
Nokia 7650
Nokia 3650
Samsung P400
Nokia 6600
Nokia 7610
Nokia 6630
Nokia N70
Nokia N91
LG K920
Nokia N95 (current)

Old 31-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

GRIM REAPER will become famous soon enough
i doubt the guy in question really worked for vodafone. i mean he couldn't even spell correctly anyway i closed his thread & have given him a verbal warning. i know its a bit harsh but if he continues to create posts like his first one then i can see trouble ahead.

Old 31-01-2005, 05:41 PM

Copied from a similar post in a different forum...

[start]

Re: Can the Vodafone Nokia 6630 be un-locked?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A mate of mine works for vodafone and told me to mail my imei to him and he would see what he could do, this is the reply I got back just now

Dear Mr Fox

I write you with regards to your request for an unlocking code for you Nokia 6630. Our NUC resolutions team based in Birmingham currently makes use of 2 computers for the generation of these unlocking codes, unfortunately, these machines do not generate unlocking codes for the nokia 6630, and the machine that does generate these codes is in transit from Nokia HQ in Finland. Regretfully there has been a long delay in receiving said machine and thus, I will not be able to supply you with an unlocking code for your handset at this moment in time. Please contact us again no sooner than 14 days and request this code through Customer Services at the standard charge of £25, either ring 191 free from your handset or alternatively 08700 700 191 from a UK landline.

Thanking you for your correspondence.

[end]

That would explain the delay...pitty they can't just say that whenever you talk to them lol

Old 01-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

GRIM REAPER will become famous soon enough
i've bought a 6630 off e-bay that is locked to t-mobile. i got on the phone to t-mobile customer services & i explained to them that i was not a customer & that the handset was sold to me without a sim. they've told me that they can unlock it for me for £15 but i had to buy a t-mobile payg sim because they won't unlock it unless i have been a t-mobile customer for @ a minimum of three months.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:57 PM

Emailed them and one of the C.Care team rang me today

He said should be within 5 days there goign to chase Nokia up

Anyway Im still waiting :lol:

Last edited by Unplugged; 04-02-2005 at 03:38 PM.

Old 04-02-2005, 05:16 PM

they have been saying that since December last year!
lol

Let us know when you get the code and if it actually works!

Cheers

Old 05-02-2005, 02:29 AM

Been waiting 24 hourse since 20th December

4 days 12 hours to go

Old 07-02-2005, 09:12 PM

drchris is on a distinguished road
Ive made a complaint through OFCOM regarding the unlock code of 6630 on vodafone uk. They replied saying, the have contacted vodafone and I should be hearing from them soon. They indeed emailed me a few days later:

Dear Chris

Thank you for getting back to me.

I have contacted the appropriate area and they have come back to me, unfortunately at present they do not have the unlock procedure for the Nokia 6630 and are waiting for a data-base update from Nokia, we have been given a timescale of 3-4 weeks. However we are escalating this and hope to have the code sooner, I have put a reminder in my diary and once I have heard from them I will contact you.

In the meantime if you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

M****
Ads