All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-01-2005, 12:53 PM

digitalgoldfish is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 6630 on T-mobile problems

I received my new phone on friday, and have pretty much played with it constantly since then. Last night, after i'd transferred all my contacts via bluetooth from my old phone, it suddenly developed 3 bugs.

1) I can't create a new message of any kind - the screen appears and disappears in about 1/2 a second

2) I can't look at contacts - same problem as above

3) If i type a number to be dialed directly from the main screen, the phone reboots.

Does anyone have any idea how i might fix this?

Old 03-01-2005, 06:09 AM

klaman is on a distinguished road
SW Version?

Check the SW version, if it's dated on November - go change it before conducting any more investigations.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:34 AM

I'm not sure i can check the SW version, as i'm unable to type any characters in withuot it crashing - as soon as i type the *, it'll reboot...

Old 03-01-2005, 12:37 PM

TokyoScoop is on a distinguished road
Did you mess around with the phone or did it come like that?

Whatever the answer, you might be best taking it back to T-Mobile and telling them you took it out of the box and it's been wierd from the beginning. They'll probably change it right away.

Old 06-01-2005, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoScoop
Did you mess around with the phone or did it come like that?

Whatever the answer, you might be best taking it back to T-Mobile and telling them you took it out of the box and it's been wierd from the beginning. They'll probably change it right away.
I played with the phone for a bit, but didn't do anything out of the usual.

I returned the phone to them, and received a new phone yesterday. It's now exactly 24hrs later, and the exact same problems have appeared. T-Mobile are sending me another tomorrow. Nokia were useless, and said 'that's not good' wheni told them what the problem was. Hopefully it'll be 3rd time lucky..

Old 06-01-2005, 03:43 PM

jonstatt is on a distinguished road
So thats 2 Orange users and a Tmobile user with the same problem. Based on what you have said, and previous information I have noted, it is contact related.

It seems there is some corruption or incompability with a certain contact that triggers this. Thus, you cannot get into the phonebook. The messaging application connects to the phonebook. And of course as soon as you try and dial a number, in the background, it tries to match the number against the phonebook entries.

So the question is, what was in your contacts that caused this. I don't know how many contacts you have, but you may want to transfer them individually so at least if it happens again you can narrow it down to a specific entry.

Jonathan

Old 06-01-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonstatt
So thats 2 Orange users and a Tmobile user with the same problem. Based on what you have said, and previous information I have noted, it is contact related.

It seems there is some corruption or incompability with a certain contact that triggers this. Thus, you cannot get into the phonebook. The messaging application connects to the phonebook. And of course as soon as you try and dial a number, in the background, it tries to match the number against the phonebook entries.

So the question is, what was in your contacts that caused this. I don't know how many contacts you have, but you may want to transfer them individually so at least if it happens again you can narrow it down to a specific entry.

Jonathan
Ah, you see i thought that, but when i got the new phone, i didn't add any contacts at all. My contacts list was empty, and it still happened. The first time, it was after i'd bluetoothed 120 business cards over, but with the second phone, with no contacts at all, it happened after i sent my first MMS with a presentation in it.
Ads

Old 17-02-2005, 10:25 PM

Asprilla is on a distinguished road
From what I've read on other forums double check that your mmc is firmly inserted. Sometimes it looks in but it needs pushing a little further. It will still work if it is not firmly in but causes restting issues.

Old 18-02-2005, 03:30 AM

lp4u is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalgoldfish
I received my new phone on friday, and have pretty much played with it constantly since then. Last night, after i'd transferred all my contacts via bluetooth from my old phone, it suddenly developed 3 bugs.

1) I can't create a new message of any kind - the screen appears and disappears in about 1/2 a second

2) I can't look at contacts - same problem as above

3) If i type a number to be dialed directly from the main screen, the phone reboots.

Does anyone have any idea how i might fix this?
do a hard reset by pressing "*", "3" and the green key for about 3 seconds. after i did that everything goes on fine. i think this problem occurs when u enter anything in the calendar