All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 31-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Web Link A Plea for Sanity - The Truth About Symbian OS "Viruses'

With appallingly-advised sites around the Internet spreading unnecessary fear and alarm, Steve Litchfield issues a plea for sanity over on 3-Lib. it's far, far harder to contract a Symbian OS virus than a desktop one. You're more likely to be hit by lightning or an earthquake. Just say No. And shame on the computing press around the world for all the scaremongering.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 31-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
TBH I can't see how they can class these things as Virii, malware yes, but virii no. The definition of a virus involves it being able to spread and multiply attaching itself to other files. This is simply a malware replicator. When they get around to making something that behaves as a real virus that you don't have to say "yes" repeatedly to infect your machine and actually infects things rather than replicating itself only then I'd be afraid.

Another thought is the prevalence of anti-virus software before any known virus for Symbian OS, call me a cynic but something strikes me as a bit odd....
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 31-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Yep. These folks at F-Secure seem very keen on proclaiming Cabir to be 'spreading fast'. Talk about having a vested interest in 20 million suckerXXXXX err, I mean users buying anti-virus software unnecessarily....

Steve Litchfield

Old 31-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
I was thinking about this very thing the other day and believe that you're right (though I winced a little at the earthquake reference). As far as Symbian Smartphones are concerned, you'd have to want to install the virus to catch it.

The Symbian OS makes a number of checks before you actually install something and only just stops short of actually saying "well, I don't think you should install this so I'm not letting you".

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73
Ads