All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-12-2004, 10:39 AM

TheJoker is on a distinguished road
Article Connecting the 9500 WLAN via WinXp machine

Guys,

I'm trying to connect my Communicator to the network via my WinXP workstation at work. I've bought a WLAN USB dongle-thingee-malarkey.
The 9500 and the WLANUSB are both configured with WEP etc, and I can see the signal strengths on both machines and they seem to be talking just fine.

On the WinXP machine I'm trying to use the network bridge to connect it all to the net.

I've been reading this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april22.mspx
And this
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto...-xp-bridge.asp

And some other pages which are linked from above.

Using the network bridge seems to be the solution everybody is touting for.

The network connection works fine on WinXP (I'm writing this on the workstation), but the 9500 can't view any pages using Web, even if it says it's connected.

I've set the Default Gateway on the 9500 and IP settings to the same as the WinXP (apart from using a different IP nr of course). I can't ping the 9500 from the WinXP machine.

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?

Any help appreciated!

Old 16-12-2004, 11:32 AM

some progress....

Replying to myself here...

Some progress, I created a new WLAN profile without copying an existing one, and I went to connection manager to look up the IPnr of the Communicator and checked it had an IPnr. I then pinged it from my WinXP machine, and got replies from the Communicator - We have IP connection!

I then tried to open a web page in the Communicator, and it just stands tere with the rotating circles turning... :-( I resolved www.google.co.uk to IPnr, and entered that into the Open Web Page dialog... and voila! Google page turned up!

So, it seems like I have a problem with my DNS resolution :(

Maybe my admin has done some "safety" malarkeys ....

*confused*

Old 16-12-2004, 01:06 PM

comfirm.be is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker
Replying to myself here...

Some progress, I created a new WLAN profile without copying an existing one, and I went to connection manager to look up the IPnr of the Communicator and checked it had an IPnr. I then pinged it from my WinXP machine, and got replies from the Communicator - We have IP connection!

I then tried to open a web page in the Communicator, and it just stands tere with the rotating circles turning... :-( I resolved www.google.co.uk to IPnr, and entered that into the Open Web Page dialog... and voila! Google page turned up!

So, it seems like I have a problem with my DNS resolution :(

Maybe my admin has done some "safety" malarkeys ....

*confused*
Have you tried to assign the ip/subnet/dns/gateway ip's manually?
If you look on your communicator, does it have an ip for the dns server?

I can't look it up for you, because I ain't got a 9500 yet... still waiting her in BENELUX

Old 16-12-2004, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfirm.be
Have you tried to assign the ip/subnet/dns/gateway ip's manually?
If you look on your communicator, does it have an ip for the dns server?
Always used static ips, and yes they're visible in connection manager. Also tried with DHCP, and then it doesn't get any, apart from the IP nr...

No further luck - thinking of setting up my XP box with a small gateway...

Old 16-12-2004, 02:19 PM

comfirm.be is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Always used static ips, and yes they're visible in connection manager. Also tried with DHCP, and then it doesn't get any, apart from the IP nr...

No further luck - thinking of setting up my XP box with a small gateway...
I can't help you further, like I said, ain't got the possibility to test wlan.
Good luck anyway, if you find the problem, let us know

Old 05-06-2005, 01:40 PM
panainte_b

Unhappy newbie...

hi,i've bought my 9500 a month ago and i'm sorry that i have to ask something like that but....no one can iluminate me indeed.....WHAT is WLAN?(beside the fact that i can connect to a network..even i don't know how).....internet????
Ad-hoc connections?......i'm using a gprs connection and it's kind of slow
Ads

Old 06-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Jowls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by panainte_b
hi,i've bought my 9500 a month ago and i'm sorry that i have to ask something like that but....no one can iluminate me indeed.....WHAT is WLAN?(beside the fact that i can connect to a network..even i don't know how).....internet????
Ad-hoc connections?......i'm using a gprs connection and it's kind of slow
WLAN is also called WIFI, and it is a standard for connecting wireless to the internet. It cant replace your GPRS completely, since it only works within about 15 meters of an access-point (of which there are an ever increasing number).

It is faster than GPRS (although browsing the web with the 9500 is still not a particular speedy experience) and best of all - it's mostly free.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:51 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
WLAN = Wireless Local Area Network

Wi-Fi = "Wireless-Fidelity" (marketing name for "certified" WLAN devices): http://www.wi-fi.org/

The main WLAN standards in use are 802.11b and the newer (and faster) 802.11g.

The typical WLAN/Wi-Fi range is about 100 meters max (side note: Bluetooth max range is about 10 meters)

GPRS range to the base station can be many kilometers.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:29 PM

mihaitintea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Guys,

I'm trying to connect my Communicator to the network via my WinXP workstation at work. I've bought a WLAN USB dongle-thingee-malarkey.
The 9500 and the WLANUSB are both configured with WEP etc, and I can see the signal strengths on both machines and they seem to be talking just fine.

On the WinXP machine I'm trying to use the network bridge to connect it all to the net.

I've been reading this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april22.mspx
And this
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto...-xp-bridge.asp

And some other pages which are linked from above.

Using the network bridge seems to be the solution everybody is touting for.

The network connection works fine on WinXP (I'm writing this on the workstation), but the 9500 can't view any pages using Web, even if it says it's connected.

I've set the Default Gateway on the 9500 and IP settings to the same as the WinXP (apart from using a different IP nr of course). I can't ping the 9500 from the WinXP machine.

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?

Any help appreciated!
Hi,
I've turned my laptop into a wireless beacon using XP's built-in NAT (aka ICS - Internet Connectio Sharing). My LAN interface has its own IP, netmask, gateway, DNS, and it's shared. The WLAN interface has only fixed IP and netmask - no gateway, only the DNS is the same as for the LAN interface. Then I've connected the 9500 wirelessly with the laptop and and web browsing from the 9500 works, including addressing websites by their DNS names.
I didn't have to use any network bridging.
I've left the 9500 to get any network settings automatically (auto-IP, auto-DNS).
Haven't been able, though, to avoid some 9500 system errors (browser crash) when using some HTTPS applications (such as Internet Banking) - maybe someone can point to a third-party browser with better HTTPS support.

Best regards.

Old 19-06-2005, 08:40 AM

e30beemer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

hello,

i've been on ad-hod mode & surfing wirelessly via my 9500 thru my PC's broadband connection with a wifi adapter plugged onto usb.

if u enable network bridge (WLAN + LAN on pc), there's no chance u'll gain net access thru 9500 wirelessly.

both WLAN + LAN on pc must not be bridged. here're the settings;

Broadband Connection (ICS) shared to Wireless Network Connection,

Wireless Network Connection's IP = 192.168.0.1 (since ICS is pointed to it)

Subnet = 255.255.255.0

Gateway = nil

DNS = nil (since broadband connection already has it)

On the commy part;

Assign IP manually eg. 192.168.0.10

Subnet = 255.255.255.0

Gateway = 192.168.0.1 (pointed to PC's Wireless Connection)

DNS = (this has to be assigned... u can use the same dns as your broadband's)

and off u go.... surfing wirelessly... but the setback of ad-hoc connection is that u cant bridge both LAN + WLAN on pc and hence that, if other PCs connected on LAN which requires access to net will no longer be able to unless u change the Broadband's ICS to point to LAN instead of WLAN and vice versa when u need to surf with ur 9500.

I got fed-up using such configurations which is a hassle as i can only choose 1 connection at a time so, i bought a 3Com's ADSL+Wireless Router+4 ports LAN (Access Point)that basically solve the entire nightmare of switching between LAN & WLAN everytime. And the best part is that, i don't hafta turn on my PC in order to surf via 9500.

anyway, these are my experiences & i hope it helps.... but if it doesn't, pls do NOT flame me. Cheers!

Last edited by e30beemer; 19-06-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Old 19-06-2005, 08:41 AM

e30beemer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Old 20-06-2005, 04:20 PM

Unhappy

Dunno where I've stated this, but I'm sure I have.

I can't use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) because I'm on my work-network which already has got a computer with 192.168.0.1 IP and does the routing.

I want to use my "secret" USB dongle to connect my Communicator to the network via my workstation.

So far I can ping and view websites using IP numbers - but I can't browse "normal websites" using domain names. :(

Old 27-06-2005, 10:04 AM

a_booth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dunno where I've stated this, but I'm sure I have.

I can't use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) because I'm on my work-network which already has got a computer with 192.168.0.1 IP and does the routing.

I want to use my "secret" USB dongle to connect my Communicator to the network via my workstation.

So far I can ping and view websites using IP numbers - but I can't browse "normal websites" using domain names. :(
That's a problem with the DNS setting your device has. If your 9500 cannot resolve host names, the DHCP server is not assigning the DNS server addresses or the wrong ones. To correct this, go to your office PC, get a Command prompt/DOS prompt/Shell screen open and type ipconfig /all (on Windows machines). This should include the networks DNS server addresses, which you can enter into your 9500s' connection settings and voila. Your 9500 will comminucate with the DNS servers to resolve the host name into an IP address, which your machine will connect to.