All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-12-2004, 09:17 AM

viper76 is on a distinguished road
dont buy nokia 6630 on vodafone !!!!!

Hi

i have bought mine yasterday from vodafone store on contract but there is a big problem with the phone i have tried to install some applications but it would not let me install anything a massage always comes up saying ( installation security error unable to install ) that is beacuse the phone is locked to vodafone.

vodafone using a nokia vodafone pack software which i think disabling all the phone advantages as a amartphone

if this is normal with a nokia noika software please tell us

Old 06-12-2004, 09:58 AM

Fidelko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper76
Hi

i have bought mine yasterday from vodafone store on contract but there is a big problem with the phone i have tried to install some applications but it would not let me install anything a massage always comes up saying ( installation security error unable to install ) that is beacuse the phone is locked to vodafone.

vodafone using a nokia vodafone pack software which i think disabling all the phone advantages as a amartphone

if this is normal with a nokia noika software please tell us
i have bought mine three weeks ago Unlocked/SIM free/,and there are no problems like that,i can install anything

Old 06-12-2004, 10:55 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
If you can't install additional software on it, it does remove the major advantage of a smartphone...! Do you get the same message when trying to install to the phone and the MMC card?

How is the branding? I am sure there will be a nasty looking red vodafone theme, but can you switch this off entirely, or is it like the T610 where they have changed the icons and you can never quite remove the 'live!" branding unless you get it flashed?

Old 06-12-2004, 11:09 AM

richieg is on a distinguished road
I was trying to do this last night and had the same problem, it kept telling me that it could not read info on the phone. I bought the phone from vodafone in ireland.
I unintstalled the nokia PC suite and downloaded the version that is on the website along with the driver for the cable. Re-installed these and now works fine, can even send files via bluetooth, they appear as a message and you simply install it from the message, easy as 123.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celios
If you can't install additional software on it, it does remove the major advantage of a smartphone...! Do you get the same message when trying to install to the phone and the MMC card?

How is the branding? I am sure there will be a nasty looking red vodafone theme, but can you switch this off entirely, or is it like the T610 where they have changed the icons and you can never quite remove the 'live!" branding unless you get it flashed?
i get this message as soon as i try to install the app before it gives me the options where to install it on the phone or the mmc
-yes there is a red vodafone theme but you can change them

Old 06-12-2004, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieg
I was trying to do this last night and had the same problem, it kept telling me that it could not read info on the phone. I bought the phone from vodafone in ireland.
I unintstalled the nokia PC suite and downloaded the version that is on the website along with the driver for the cable. Re-installed these and now works fine, can even send files via bluetooth, they appear as a message and you simply install it from the message, easy as 123.
Hope this helps.
i hav tried to ues to pc suite but didnt help the same massage still comes up

Old 06-12-2004, 11:25 AM

clive6630 is on a distinguished road
re installing apps

I have a generic 6630 and have had no problems, on the other hand my wife has just bought a "vodafone" 6630 and she has the same problem. To get round it, go to the install manager where all your installed apps are shown, go to options, settings, change "software installation" from off to on. Problem solved. Also we noticed it's not possible to play mp3's as ringtones, it will play them in realplayer, but if you try to set one as a ringtone it wont let you, this is only true of "vodafone" ones as my "generic" one works fine. We complained at the voda shop and they seem to think it's another voda limitation. The best thing to do in this case is convert it to an awb or aac file which works ok. Also, you will notice that voda only supplies a 32Mg card with their phones, even though it stipulates on the web site that it should be a 64Mg, we complained again and they swapped it there and then. Conclusion: Dont get a voda one, buy generic, i cant comment on other network operators as they are not out on any others as yet, Hope this helps...

Old 06-12-2004, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive6630
I have a generic 6630 and have had no problems, on the other hand my wife has just bought a "vodafone" 6630 and she has the same problem. To get round it, go to the install manager where all your installed apps are shown, go to options, settings, change "software installation" from off to on. Problem solved. Also we noticed it's not possible to play mp3's as ringtones, it will play them in realplayer, but if you try to set one as a ringtone it wont let you, this is only true of "vodafone" ones as my "generic" one works fine. We complained at the voda shop and they seem to think it's another voda limitation. The best thing to do in this case is convert it to an awb or aac file which works ok. Also, you will notice that voda only supplies a 32Mg card with their phones, even though it stipulates on the web site that it should be a 64Mg, we complained again and they swapped it there and then. Conclusion: Dont get a voda one, buy generic, i cant comment on other network operators as they are not out on any others as yet, Hope this helps...
thank you for your help i was about to take it back the vodafone shop

Old 06-12-2004, 12:15 PM

Mudskipper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive6630
Also we noticed it's not possible to play mp3's as ringtones, it will play them in realplayer, but if you try to set one as a ringtone it wont let you, this is only true of "vodafone" ones as my "generic" one works fine. We complained at the voda shop and they seem to think it's another voda limitation.
Yes it's true, it's because they want you to use Vodafone Live to buy ringtones.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:19 PM

The_Fellowship is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it likely to be the same on Orange's Nokia 6630? (if/when it gets released)

Also, where in the UK can the 6630 be bought sim-free/unlocked?

Thanks

Last edited by The_Fellowship; 06-12-2004 at 12:31 PM.

Old 06-12-2004, 01:36 PM

clive6630 is on a distinguished road
nk 6630

I bought mine from www.livetelecoms.com but i am not sure if they have any in stock now, best to ring them first. They should start to become fairly available soon, the carphone warehouse will sell them simfree at around 400 pounds.

Old 06-12-2004, 01:47 PM

The_Fellowship is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Clive6630. Just gave them a quick call...out of stock Will wait till they get some more in or Carphone Warehouse do

Looks like a really good Series 60 device tho!

Cheers

Old 06-12-2004, 08:39 PM

daywalker is on a distinguished road
thanks guys, was goging to get one with vodafone but will get a generic sim free now to avoid problems

Nokia 5110
Ericsson T20
Nokia 3310
Nokia 8210
Samsung A300
Nokia 7650
Nokia 3650
Samsung P400
Nokia 6600
Nokia 7610
Nokia 6630
Nokia N70
Nokia N91
LG K920
Nokia N95 (current)

Old 06-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Gav

I got a 6630 today from Vodafone. It seems they have set the OS security settings higher. As far as I can tell, there are no restrictions at all, you just need to adjust the app install settings as described above. You can also select the default Nokia profile as well, removing leaving no vodafone branding what so ever.

Phone is great

Old 06-12-2004, 10:36 PM
scim

Well i'm getting mine this week in Holland.
I only hope that it allows mp3 ringtones in some way and that it has the 64mb rs-mmc card instead of a 32 mb (if i get a 32 mb i'm going to be pissed and demand a change ).
And if you hate the nokia software just go to a nokia point when new firmware/software is released, you should be able to get a free upgrade in your warranty period.