All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-12-2004, 05:50 AM
Alfama

6630 and Apple iSync

I got my 6630 today. It's a great phone!!! Good screen, nice camera, smooth zoom, quick response......etc. But it doesn't work with my mac. I used my N-gage with iSync a lot to update the contacts and calendar. But 6630 doesn't support iSync.

I tired to connect it with my mac and sync the contacts and calendar to 6630. But it didn't work. I could pair it, I could send and receive file via bluetooth, but I couldn't use it with iSync, which is a shame.....

I tired use SmartvCard, it doesn't support the vCard of Address Book either (maybe I don't know how to use it)...

But, interestingly, 6630 supports the vCard which is exported from Address Book !! 6630 recognise the vCard as business card. But it only recognise the vCard which only contains 1 person's infomation and without its photo. Because it doesn't support vCard with photo, I've tired(error: file format doesn't support, something like that)...

But !!!
I found out a way to import the contacts from the Address Book and the To-do list from iCal to 6630. It might sould stupid, but it works.

First, you need a Nokia S60 phone which supports iSync(I am sure you have )(http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html).
Then, in 6630, there is an app called "Transfer" which is located in "Tool" folder. I guess this is a new function of 6630 since I don't have it in my N-gage.[There is an app which comes with the installation disc with new Macs has similar function. (http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/...etonewmac.html)]

Switch on the bluetooth of both phones. Then open Transfer in 6630. It will find another bluetooth enabled phone. Select the phone(which is N-gage, in my case).
After you select the phone, it will then install this app "Transfer" in N-gage. After installing the app, you can choose what you want to transfer to 6630.(I chose contacts and To-dos only, There are many options).

That's it.

It took me like 10 mins to do that. I use iSync to update the contacts and calendar of the N-gage(5mins). Then I transferred them to my 6630(another 5 mins)

I hope this is useful for you guys, especially Mac users. There is no way to buy another phone because iSync doesn't support it. 6630 is great, it's fast!! This is my way of doing it since iSync doesn't support many new S60 phones like 6630, 6260 and 7610. This method might sounds stupid. I hope this could solve your problem.Or Does anybody have a better way to doing this?
PS: Sorry about that, my English bad.

Old 06-12-2004, 05:24 PM

galactusofmyth is on a distinguished road
Try exporting to vcard v2.1 file in address book. Then export that to your phone. Address book's default is v3.0, and I don't think its compatible with nokia/symbian yet. that alone saves you a step and removes the necessity of a having another phone. However, v2.1 doesn't support photos. Pick your workaround, I guess :-)

See more here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...41122012737911

Old 08-12-2004, 02:23 AM
Unregistered111

Thumbs up 6630 with Apple iSync

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfama
I got my 6630 today. It's a great phone!!! Good screen, nice camera, smooth zoom, quick response......etc. But it doesn't work with my mac. I used my N-gage with iSync a lot to update the contacts and calendar. But 6630 doesn't support iSync.

I tired to connect it with my mac and sync the contacts and calendar to 6630. But it didn't work. I could pair it, I could send and receive file via bluetooth, but I couldn't use it with iSync, which is a shame.....

I tired use SmartvCard, it doesn't support the vCard of Address Book either (maybe I don't know how to use it)...

But, interestingly, 6630 supports the vCard which is exported from Address Book !! 6630 recognise the vCard as business card. But it only recognise the vCard which only contains 1 person's infomation and without its photo. Because it doesn't support vCard with photo, I've tired(error: file format doesn't support, something like that)...

But !!!
I found out a way to import the contacts from the Address Book and the To-do list from iCal to 6630. It might sould stupid, but it works.

First, you need a Nokia S60 phone which supports iSync(I am sure you have )(http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html).
Then, in 6630, there is an app called "Transfer" which is located in "Tool" folder. I guess this is a new function of 6630 since I don't have it in my N-gage.[There is an app which comes with the installation disc with new Macs has similar function. (http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/...etonewmac.html)]

Switch on the bluetooth of both phones. Then open Transfer in 6630. It will find another bluetooth enabled phone. Select the phone(which is N-gage, in my case).
After you select the phone, it will then install this app "Transfer" in N-gage. After installing the app, you can choose what you want to transfer to 6630.(I chose contacts and To-dos only, There are many options).

That's it.

It took me like 10 mins to do that. I use iSync to update the contacts and calendar of the N-gage(5mins). Then I transferred them to my 6630(another 5 mins)

I hope this is useful for you guys, especially Mac users. There is no way to buy another phone because iSync doesn't support it. 6630 is great, it's fast!! This is my way of doing it since iSync doesn't support many new S60 phones like 6630, 6260 and 7610. This method might sounds stupid. I hope this could solve your problem.Or Does anybody have a better way to doing this?
PS: Sorry about that, my English bad.

A Big Thanks alfama, I think you may have saved me! I use a N3650 because it works fine with iSync (my N6600 won't although it's supposed to) so I will use my 3650 to 'Transfer' Contacts to my new 6630 when it arrives. Just one question, did you use 2 SIM's to do this? I only have one SIM card and I'm not sure if 3650 will boot without one. I've heard that 6630 has a Flight mode (i.e. boots without SIM installed) similar to Communicators?

Old 08-12-2004, 04:25 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
The reason why older Nokia Symbian operating system based phones work with iSync is because Apple made it work, but hasn't yet done so for the newer phones (that use a different mechanism for PC connectivity). I'm sure they'll address it eventually.

I can confirm that the 6630 does, indeed, have a flight mode. Its use is automatic, if you start the phone without a SIM, but you can also activate it by selecting the Offline profile.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 AM
Alfama

Hi, Unregistered111,

Yes, I used two sims to do that. It worked fine with the contacts with photo!!
I guess you can do that in Flight mode(offline) becuase I could turn on 6630 without a sim.Also, I could turn on bluetooth and open Transfer.

Enjoy

Old 08-12-2004, 05:03 AM
Alfama

Apple has been working closely with Sony Ericsson. iSync supports most of the SE phones. You can use free third party software for controlling the Mac by T610.
NOW, this function is even built-in in k700i !!!
I guess mac users have to wait for Tiger...... I know they will update the Address Book, DVD player and so on, but I haven't read anything about iSync so far.....

Old 08-12-2004, 10:00 AM

DubWireless is on a distinguished road
Apple have released iSync updates independant of OS upgrades... so finegrs crossed

would hope support for the 6630 would come before Tiger (that's still a while off...) there's a kind of device id/info database iSync uses and if the device doesn't match then iSync can't see it... even supported devices can become unsupported after a firmware update (happened to my P900 after updating the firmware)

Old 08-12-2004, 01:06 PM

DubWireless is on a distinguished road
and just tested the 6630 with the Salling Clicker on the Mac and everything I tried so far went smoothly, remote control of iTunes, iPhoto, Powerpoint, and system control...

Old 25-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Dany

How To Exchange Documents Via USB?

How CAN i Exchange Documents Via USB?
How Can I see .pps (Powepoint) Documents on My 6630?

Old 07-03-2005, 09:25 PM

angusf is on a distinguished road
You dont need a SIM card in a 6630 to use the device offline for example to transfer files or use thetransfer application

Angus
Ads