All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-02-2005, 12:03 PM

RickyTec is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPeR
(...) What am i doing wrong?
You're doing nothing wrong!

You now have the SwitchBlade's orange skin installed... and you can't switch it on the control panel because the path you're using goes only for one specific folder now.

To change that skin you have to edit it like SwitchBlade done to make his matrix skin. It's all in his tutorial.

I've done my Riddick skin, so if you need help shoot!

Last edited by RickyTec; 02-02-2005 at 12:05 PM.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:11 PM

HyPeR is on a distinguished road
a little bit of confusion here...

in the tutorial its written...
The zip file download for this tutorial contains all the files you will need to install a new skin. The actual process of installing the skin is copying a skinpath.txt file to c:\system\data\skinconfig. Very important, do not edit this file in Notepad or Documents on the smartphone as you will corrupt it and the skin will not work, causing your phone to revert to the default skin. Once you’ve copied the skinpath.txt file, place the contents of the Skins folder (from the tutorial zip file) into c:\System\Skins\ while preserving the rest of the directory structure The files in C:\system\skins\0x101F8EDB\ contain all the data about our new skin that Series 80 needs

Now i copied the skinpath.txt in the zipped tutorial file & replaced the existing skinpath.txt. The new one points to the C drive insted of the Z drive.... correct?

The C drive does not have the SKINS folder, which i copied from the zipped folder into c:\system\ ..... correct?

My Question. After putting the new skins & changing the skinpath.txt. HOW DO I ACTIVATE THIS MATRIX THEME???...... do i SIMPLY restart?
My Current theme is BLUE.... I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW TO ACTIVATE THE NEW THEME. once this is done..then i'll get cracking into making the themes... tahts a matter of editing picstures only...not that diff, but time consuming..

Old 02-02-2005, 03:16 PM

HyPeR is on a distinguished road
in the normal mode..when u go to DISPLAY in control panel & choose another colour pallette, at the background the phone must be performing the same instructions in pre-described series...is'nt that right? which means one can create a SIS file that does tha same as well...right? or manybe a small programs that just runs these instructions automatically.... hmmm.... Dos Batch file maybe?

Old 02-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
The matrix theme isn't supplied as i never found all the parts to make it workable. And rather than receive loads of complaints from people of "I can't read this bit" or "the colours aren't right on that bit" I decided not to release until there is a more complete list of the colours. The screenshot you posted before showed that the skin you installed was installed correctly.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.
Ads

Old 02-02-2005, 04:54 PM

RickyTec is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyPeR
My Question. After putting the new skins & changing the skinpath.txt. HOW DO I ACTIVATE THIS MATRIX THEME???...... do i SIMPLY restart?
My Current theme is BLUE.... I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND HOW TO ACTIVATE THE NEW THEME. once this is done..then i'll get cracking into making the themes... tahts a matter of editing picstures only...not that diff, but time consuming..
The Matrix theme from SwitchBlade isn't available in the tutorial... yet, as mentioned.

But the good news is that my Riddick skin is available in:
http://www.9500communicator.com/foru...=5615#post5615

Try to be nice with on the critique... it's my first one!

I give some tips about how to install SwitchBlade's Skin and how to change it to my own Riddick skin. The first part you already did. Try the second.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
I'm just not able to make my skin look right (see attachment)...

The problem I'm having is with the 800x200 pixel source background, as mentioned in the tutorial. If I keep this size, the right side panel will not align correctly with the 463x194 background picture. So I've been messing around with a bunch of different sizes here and there, and ended up changing the source background size to 755x200 which did indeed solve the alignment with the right side panel, BUT then it won't fit with the left side panel... Aaargh

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	southpark.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	2298  
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 02-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

You forgot to chop the left hand side off of your background when making your wallpaper.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

I did shop of the 92 pixels though...
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 02-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

looks more like you may have mistyped and did 29 by mistake.

EDIT correction, closer inspection shows you only removed 36 pixels

Last edited by SwitchBlade; 02-02-2005 at 07:06 PM.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

No, I really did shop off 92 pixels from my source background (755x200). If I use the 800x200 background, as you suggest in the tutorial, the problem remains, except that the alignment becomes all wrong on the right side of the screen...

Old 02-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

I've checked it, and can provide screenshot proof if need be mate, there is a 36 pixel difference between the left hand start of your left hand section and the left hand start of your wallpaper. Try the chopping it off again

Old 02-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Right:

There's a breakdown of the areas you cut your image. The final 45 pixels are marked as lost as you don't use these if you follow the exact cutting sections. If you are working with certain patterns or colours you may want to be selective of where in your image you cut hence I recommended an 800 pixel width base. If with a photo or a continuous image you use the recommended sizes and cut in the right places there should be no problem putting your image together.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

I know I must be missing something obvious here, but I DID shop off the 92 pixels (I've checked and rechecked again and again) - if I try to shop off any more the image size won't be 643x194 anymore... The strange thing is that no matter what, the background ending up covering the entire screen (640x200) will become a cut down version of the origianl source background - no matter if the source is 755 or 800x200... I've attached the source so you can see for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp SouthPark3.bmp (148.7 KB, 255 views)

Old 02-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

I can see your problem, the very left hand side of the image needs to be the starting point, if you start further in from the side, you need to cut 92 pixels after that point. Yes the image will *not* show like that on Desk, this is because Desk uses a CBA width of 85 pixels, in other applications though the CBA can be up to 200 pixels wide, hence you need the image to extend the full 200 pixels otherwise in some apps the image will not display properly and may cause stability problems with the 9500.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade
Right:

There's a breakdown of the areas you cut your image. The final 45 pixels are marked as lost as you don't use these if you follow the exact cutting sections. If you are working with certain patterns or colours you may want to be selective of where in your image you cut hence I recommended an 800 pixel width base. If with a photo or a continuous image you use the recommended sizes and cut in the right places there should be no problem putting your image together.
Aha, thanks for the pic. What I did when I tried using 800x200 was that I made the CBAs from the very end of the right side, and not from the 555 pixels mark. I think I'll get it right now...

Thanks a lot, Hayden!