All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-01-2005, 04:22 AM
fannypad

Thanks for the reply, clears a few things up.

Although still unsure about the following:

How easy is it to copy the TomTom software from the original card to another one?

And would it be theoretically possible to only purchase the Bluetooth GPS box for 100-odd and use it with "shared" software?

Old 07-01-2005, 11:34 AM

coolice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fannypad
Thanks for the reply, clears a few things up.

Although still unsure about the following:

How easy is it to copy the TomTom software from the original card to another one?

And would it be theoretically possible to only purchase the Bluetooth GPS box for 100-odd and use it with "shared" software?
Hey,

It is very easy to copy the TomTom software to another MMC to use. Some people have had problems, but I think their's was that they hadn't truned on "view hidden files" before selecting all and copying to the new mmc.

What I was doing with my 6600 was running both SatNav apps from one 512mb rs mmc, TomTom & Route66. I purchased an original TomTom BT GPS unit from Ebay for 100 and this ran perfectly with the both apps.

This is exactly what I am going to try once I have got a man enough rs mmc for my 6630, although I am going to try another GPS unit as I sold my TomTom one & 512 mmc about a week ago.

Ian
Ads

Old 26-01-2005, 12:11 PM

akacheesy is on a distinguished road
Nokia 6260

Has anyone tried using Tom Tom mobile on the Nokia 6260?

Getting the software onto a new MMC is simple? Do you just copy all the files then transfer it using bluetooth?

Any help would be appreciated

Old 29-01-2005, 10:11 PM

Bubski is on a distinguished road
Working.. sort of..

I managed to get it working... just ... on a Vodafone 1984 lock down

I copied the MMC to the PC and then copied it onto the DV RS MMC ... I was lucky my card reader worked on the newer low voltage card as PC suite did not like copying the 'system' folder

Also had to enable install settings within App manager.

Only prob is it appears to work the first time.... but when restarting it'll request the passcode for the Bluetooth GPS receiver and will reboot the phone

Removing the memory card seems to sometimes fix the problem but it all seems a bit hit and miss

I've even write protected all the files on the Card to no avail .. maybe missing some obvious setting.

The Traffic worked too over 3G

Once working it seems stable enough just the intermittant issue of Bluetooth bonding

Any ideas please ?

Old 30-01-2005, 12:11 AM

Further Good News

All sorted now

The Bluetooth GPS need to be paired and I couldn't remember the code....

I managed to guess it and no problems connecting repeatedly now

I'm using a 128mb RS MMC card, do need more though as no space for video now... at least they are hotswappable unlike 6600

The TomTom 3D map screen updates are far more acceptable than the 6600 too due to the faster processor

I'm so pleased I'm going to have some wine

Now to try and sort the ringtone issue .. vodafone are devils

Old 01-02-2005, 04:19 AM

fannypad is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear it's working fine

You say you're using a 128MB card; I have one too. Exactly how much space does the TomTom software and the UK map take up together?

As for the ringtones limitation, it's simple to get around.

You can either convert the mp3s to AAC format using Apple iTunes, or convert them to mp4 files using RealPlayer. You can then set them as ringtones and they'll still show up in the Media list just as any other mp3.

Another solution (and a better one in my eyes) is to use the latest version of OggPlay (1.6.2) which supports setting Ogg Vorbis files as ringtones. Download it here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=277161

It's also an excellent free MP3/AAC/Ogg Vorbis player which outputs in 44.1KHz STEREO on the 6630.

I convert my mp3s into 64kbit/s Ogg files and play them with OggPlay. The quality is identical to 128kbit/s mp3s, with half the file size. With the 128MB card I can fit over four hours of decent quality tunes on my phone along with all the apps I need.

To convert mp3s to Ogg Vorbis format, use dBpowerAmp: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm along with the Ogg codec plugin from the codec page on the same site.

Nice, fast and free. Lovely.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:23 AM

pachi is on a distinguished road
wtf is tom tom mobile??
N6630
SEw800
SEw810
SEk790a
N95 (current)

Old 02-02-2005, 04:25 AM

pachi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fannypad
STEREO on the 6630.

I convert my mp3s into 64kbit/s Ogg files and play them with OggPlay. The quality is identical to 128kbit/s mp3s, with half the file size. With the 128MB card I can fit over four hours of decent quality tunes on my phone along with all the apps I need.

To convert mp3s to Ogg Vorbis format, use dBpowerAmp: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm along with the Ogg codec plugin from the codec page on the same site.

Nice, fast and free. Lovely.

i do too..ogg hands down beat acc,mp3...the best...sounds sooo clear at 64kb
N6630
SEw800
SEw810
SEk790a
N95 (current)

Old 02-02-2005, 09:12 PM

Thanks

Ta for the help fannypad

The maps take up about 118mb with Traffic Update to 4.43

I need a 256mb at least now .... have not looked.. bit poor

I'll give OGG a go .... made the mistake of using vodafone's 'real ringtone service' 16 freakin seconds and it's crud quality.... at least they could try to fade it in and out.. pfft

TTM

Seems there still is an issue with the Bluetooth pairing... got me to South Wales though with Traffic working intermittantly today.

but

I have to delete the pairing each time, else it fails when starting TomTom and resets the 6630 when it asks for the bluetooth code again

After the reset the pairing has disappeared and you have to start again.

I'm sure on the 6600 the pairing happened without any manual intervention and it never forgot either ...

Bet it's another feature exclusive to us lucky 'vodafone owners'

Going back to TomTom on the 6600 was a bit s-l-ow on the screen update / menu selection screens still perfectly adequate though

Old 02-02-2005, 09:58 PM

Thanks fannypad

OggPlayer is excellet and does everything on 'vodafone' as does dmc (no connection etc )

They really are good quality at 64k too .. brillant software !!

A very happy 'vodafone' owner

Old 03-02-2005, 03:15 AM

fannypad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubski
made the mistake of using vodafone's 'real ringtone service' 16 freakin seconds and it's crud quality.... at least they could try to fade it in and out.. pfft
ARRGH!!! NOOOOOO!!!

You played right into their hands mate, this is exactly the reason why they made a half-arsed attempt at restricting mp3 ringtones. If someone as clued up as you resorted to paying god knows how much for a piss poor ringtone from them, then I truly feel for the masses of great unwashed lining their greedy conniving pockets

Deep breath...

Anyway, glad you found OggPlay useful, it's a great little app

And 256MB dual-voltage cards will be in the retail channel very soon, so I'll probably be needing some TomTom advice when they do

Take care

Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 AM
The-Kevster

[quote=Bubski]Ta for the help fannypad
I have to delete the pairing each time, else it fails when starting TomTom and resets the 6630 when it asks for the bluetooth code again

After the reset the pairing has disappeared and you have to start again.

I'm sure on the 6600 the pairing happened without any manual intervention and it never forgot either ...

Bet it's another feature exclusive to us lucky 'vodafone owners' QUOTE]

Nope, I have an Orange 6630 and I have the same issue, can VERY occasionally reastart during use which can be annoying.

If anyone find an updated version or a fix for this...you know what to do

Old 07-03-2005, 09:00 PM

whiskeybelly20 is on a distinguished road
Question So where do I get tomtom mobile please?

Um..

I just got my 6630 on Onrange in the UK, and wow... makes my old (hemhem 2001) Nokia 6210 an antique!

anyway, I've been over to the Tomtom web site and cannot seem to find a price (or be able to buy) this Tom Tom Mobile.

Can Someone tell me where to buy and how much?

For me it would probable be a bit of a toy at the moment, As I'm not a sales rep and dont do hour of driving in area I don't know. However I do go on long holiday trips (2,500 miles in Scotland Last year in 10 days) so this could be a very usefull toy.

I currently have a Garmin GPS3Plus which is good, but not really ment for a road map navigator.

Just an odd question.. could I put waypoints into tomtom other thant road destinations? (as in the side of a mountain footpath).

how good do you find the screen on the phone for navigating? How good is this tomtom??

thanks for your help.

Old 07-03-2005, 10:16 PM

readbmr is on a distinguished road
ive deafinately got tomtom mobile working on nokia 6630 with pois etc

works great

Old 13-03-2005, 09:08 PM

Jayd is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth gps reciever

Can anyone tell me a good gps reciever to get to use TomTom i should get my 6630 this week.