All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-12-2004, 03:17 AM

quicksilver is on a distinguished road
How to make movie for 9500

Hi Guys,
I once tried using helix producer for making a real player movie for my 9210i. Wasn't successful. My 9500 arrives in a day and i was thinking if i can do it for the 9500 since i already have bought a 512 MB MMC for it. Has anyone here been successful in doing that? Or maybe by using anyother software.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Just as a FYI, I've contacted Gameloft about the possibility of them releasing some 9500/9300 compatible games. This is their answer:

Quote:
Hi,
There are no games planned for the time being, but once the Series 80 phones gain popularity and marketshare, I am sure that games will be released for them. For now though, nothing is planned. Please visit the website for the latest information.

Best regards,

Sylvain Duchesne
Gameloft Customer Service
support@gameloft.com
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson
Ads

Old 09-01-2005, 07:46 PM

deejaysly is on a distinguished road
Hi, I am a newbie - had my 9500 a week now.... WiFi fine...but now all of a sudden my internet browser crashes quite often (freezes and kernel errors).... the only thing i have noticed and have a sneaky feeling is that the Symantec Client is causing this - i maybe wrong.... but i never crashed before i installed it....and sometimes downloading pages never happens.... but then again i maybe wrong....

@Hyper & Liaonet : do you guys have the Symantec Client 3 installed?

Old 10-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaysly
the only thing i have noticed and have a sneaky feeling is that the Symantec Client is causing this - i maybe wrong.... but i never crashed before i installed it....and sometimes downloading pages never happens.... but then again i maybe wrong....
You might as well try uninstalling it and see if that solves the problem. You've nothing to lose seeing as there are no virii in the wild that can effect tha 9500.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 10-01-2005, 11:03 PM

deejaysly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade
You might as well try uninstalling it and see if that solves the problem. You've nothing to lose seeing as there are no virii in the wild that can effect tha 9500.
well, i must have read your mind switchblade...coz as i read more on this great forum i found out about the hard reset.... so i did it and reinstalled everything except the symantec stuff....and it is a bit more stable... have had one kernel error since - which is good i must say... and i can now browse more than three pages without having to restart the browser each time... (yes, that did happen - the pages would say downloading but either the connection would timeout or just nothing would happen except saying downloading)...

another thing i noticed when attempting to browse ebay.... with the symantec stuff installed... it came up with a page saying that my browser wouldn't allow me to redirect and hence couldn't log in.... but just tried it now... and it's fine (without the symantec software).... can't say for certain whether this was just a glitch or not... tried it a couple of times though...

this maybe an isolated case i don't know.... i also disabled simultaneous bluetooth usage aswell... read on here that it may have something to do with the kernel errors... so with this and uninstalling the symantec stuff (didn't know you could do this before doing hard reset) it now seems to be alot better!!!!

....and i remember reading that someone said they couldn't update their definitions on the symantec software... mine worked fine after i installed it.... (definitions dated about 4/1/05)....

this reply is more for the record than anything else.... thanx for you input switchblade!

Old 25-01-2005, 08:43 PM

deeonline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkato
I have been having software crashing on my 9500 since my purchase 2 weeks ago. First it was the Web, now the Sync. Is this a sign of bad firmware? Has anyone encountered such problems?

Also, my WiFi does not work all the time. With the settings correctly configured, it work one time and the next time, it could not detect the network.

Any advice will be helpful.

ps: I've tried the Nokia Care multiple times.
Mine crashes at least once a week without doing much with this phone. Crappy slow interface on top of this. v 04.44(01)

Old 28-01-2005, 08:48 PM

liaonet is on a distinguished road
My firmware is the same my device crashes daily

Quote:
Hi, my firmware is v 04.44(01). I believe your's too.

Old 31-01-2005, 09:52 AM

msiivola is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaysly
a sneaky feeling is that the Symantec Client is causing this - i maybe wrong.... but i never crashed before i installed it
http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/viruses.htm -- "anti-virus vendor (who naturally make a pretty penny out of conning people that they need a-v utility software)"

Last edited by msiivola; 31-01-2005 at 09:55 AM.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:20 AM

trevin is on a distinguished road
Hi kenkato,
I've symantec client security 3.0 installed in my phone as well. FW version 4.44. Works well. Very few crashes. As for the update, very few virus attacking symbian were detected so far. Therefore the virus signature update is less frequent. The latest virus definition I have is 01/02/2005.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:51 AM

robinw is on a distinguished road
Moving data from Psion 5mx to 9300

Does anybody have experience of moving: word, sheet and data files from a 5mx to a Nokia Comunicator? Is there a more direct way than converting to MS files first? If this is the only way, which is the best PS format for Psion data files (not 'Contacts' but the older 'Data' file format)?

Old 10-02-2005, 03:08 AM

tovi888 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi, my firmware is v 04.44(01). I believe your's too.

try upgrading to 4.51 it performs better

Old 06-03-2005, 09:10 AM

stubby is on a distinguished road
9500 Crashes

I have been having software crashing on my 9500 since my purchase 2 weeks ago. First it was the Web, now the Sync. Is this a sign of bad firmware? Has anyone encountered such problems?
Also, my WiFi does not work all the time. With the settings correctly configured, it work one time and the next time, it could not detect the network.
Any advice will be helpful.
ps: I've tried the Nokia Care multiple times.

I have had loads of crashes in the 2wks I have had my 9500.
Contacts crashes, Sheet crashes, and Word crashes.
I consider the product to be pretty unstable and not ready for market.

There are bugs in Word as well, causing major problems with text display, issues with cutting and pasting, and it is almost unusable.

PC Suite keeps crashing and loses the connection to the phone requiring a reboot on XP every time.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 AM

girosky is on a distinguished road
luckily i haven't experience my phone to crash... my firmware is 4.44 (1) too... i just had the phone for 3 weeks now...

i love my corolla!

Old 15-03-2005, 04:14 PM

andygrunt is on a distinguished road
I'm going throught the Revo files to 9300 process myself...

Just trying a database called 'Smallbase' (http://www.corisoft.net/?page_id=3) which seems to be the best. It purports to import 'epoc' data files directly but I've not had any success doing that. However, I have had success importing CSV files that I'd exported from the Revo.

Before that I had tried 'Ydata' which didn't import the same files correctly.

Old 20-03-2005, 12:19 PM

stubby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeonline
Mine crashes at least once a week without doing much with this phone. Crappy slow interface on top of this. v 04.44(01)

My V4.44 crashes very regularly and is a real pain in the butt.
I am trying to get a v.4.51 upgrade but Nokia are falling down on the job making this available.

In my case it seems to affect almost all applications but definitely Word, Web, Messaging, Tel, Contacts. They need to get these problems sorted before they lose their prospective customer base.