All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-11-2004, 03:59 PM

lalaland is on a distinguished road
Web Link GPS on A1000

I am trying to find a way to use my A1000 as a GPS device in my car, similar to how PDAs work with TomTom.

I know the A1000 has assisted GPS and a standard GPS only mode, and it's the non-assisted version I would like to use to avoid network bills.

I am wanting voice guidance if possible, but would settle without it if I got a constant moving map and postcode to postcode guidance.

I have seen TomTom mobile, but they don't seem to do one for the A1000 at the moment.

I have tried a free product that I found online, but it didn't include maps (you had to create your own) and didn't use the internal GPS, you require an external GPS source.

Can anyone advise a decent bit of software, free or otherwise, that I can use on my A1000 to make it in to a decent GPS device for the car. If I do require an external Bluetooth GPS device then please advise.

Thanks

Old 25-11-2004, 04:53 PM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Not so sure about if you need an external GPS source, but I can tell you that the only navigation software available for UIQ is Wayfinder. You'll have to download the maps though.
www.wayfinder.com

Old 25-11-2004, 05:09 PM
oadifihgf

This could be an issue then as Three have blocked all internet access so downloading maps would be a problem unless you network your phone via a PC.

Do you know if you can download maps on your PC and just transfer them to the phone?

I have emailed the UK rep for this software so hopefuly he can answer a few questions for me, but any input here is welcome.

Thanks

Old 26-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Try this: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/A920GPS/

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 28-11-2004, 01:24 AM

MarcPDAfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland
I am trying to find a way to use my A1000 as a GPS device in my car, similar to how PDAs work with TomTom.

I know the A1000 has assisted GPS and a standard GPS only mode, and it's the non-assisted version I would like to use to avoid network bills.

I am wanting voice guidance if possible, but would settle without it if I got a constant moving map and postcode to postcode guidance.

I have seen TomTom mobile, but they don't seem to do one for the A1000 at the moment.

I have tried a free product that I found online, but it didn't include maps (you had to create your own) and didn't use the internal GPS, you require an external GPS source.

Can anyone advise a decent bit of software, free or otherwise, that I can use on my A1000 to make it in to a decent GPS device for the car. If I do require an external Bluetooth GPS device then please advise.

Thanks

Old 28-11-2004, 01:29 AM

Navman

I've been using a program for my Pocket PC called SmartST Version made by Navman - www.navman.com. It installs the maps on a memory card. the PDA has a GPS reader installed on it and you place a small movable receiver on the dashboard of your car. It also has voice guidance. Once I get my A1000 to sync properly with Outlook 2003 I was planning to install the software and see if it would run on the A1000 platform. As soon as I have I'll send you an update - MarcPDAfan

Old 28-11-2004, 04:29 AM

Wonderstuff is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid SmartST will only run on PPC, even though a Palm variant is available.

Old 28-11-2004, 07:11 AM

You're right! That will never work! PPC and Symbian UIQ are COMPLETELY different OSes, so you can forget about installing PPC apps on an A1000...

Old 28-11-2004, 09:24 AM

Navman

Thanks for the heads up you've saved me alot of time. I'm starting to wonder where are the advantages in using the Symbian platform, particularly with the walled internet garden.

Old 28-11-2004, 09:35 AM

The walled internet garden has nothing to do with Symbian, but with "3" who has restricted it! Other Symbian phones don't have the same "problem".

Old 28-11-2004, 02:38 PM

TexMurphy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta737
The walled internet garden has nothing to do with Symbian, but with "3" who has restricted it! Other Symbian phones don't have the same "problem".
The problem is that the A9xx-series was not very popular (too heavy, too big etc.). But right know, with all the 3G-stuff coming up in every country around the world, the A1000 will become a lot more popular then the older Motorola phones.

And because of the integrated GPS-receiver, the phone has the perfect specs for programming a navigation software. I think, it is only a matter of time, till some of the series 60 navi-programs will be available for the A1000 as well (and then even without the necessity of an internet connection).

Bye

Alex

Old 06-12-2004, 02:10 AM

glenn_a_m is on a distinguished road
A1000 Gps Solution

Hi,

first post - yaaaaay

anyway...
it doesn't do wayfinding/directions, but the location & mapping is quite good
check out nhGPS (from www.nhgps.com)

you can also download maps and calibrate them on the phone (very cool).

the map sources are defined in an xml file, which, with a little work can be modified to include the appropriate mapservers from your part of the world.

nhGPS suposedly works with the internal GPS on the a1000 also (although I've yet to do this, as I'm very happy with the bluetooth module I'm using (fortuna clip-on))

comment on another item mentioned in the thread...

"walled garden internet" - no, you can access the realworld internet with 3netacess connection *** UNLESS (and it took a while to work this out) you are on pre-paid service (internet access is no longer available to pre-paid customers - in Australia anyway)

cheers (and hello),
glenn

also, I was using MONAS on a p800 (until I dropped it in a big way) which was quite good to (it also works on the a1000), but I don't think it can grab maps 'on-the-fly' (I could be wrong)

Old 06-12-2004, 08:59 PM

So do I wait to see what GPS products turn up for the A1000 or do I go and buy a PDA and BT kit or a GPS dedicated system etc??

I looked at Wayfinder for the A1000 that works now, but it's crap and expensive AND you have to subscribe to it unlike the Tomtom systems that are free once purchased.
Ads

Old 21-04-2005, 06:44 PM

nehrert is on a distinguished road
I've just tried the nhgps application and it works fine on my A1000. Now I just have to figure a way to create maps and download them to the device. I downloaded a few maps for fun from the suggested site www.mapquest.com and they're quite good. My GPRS bill will go sky high if I have to do this for every map I need though.

Old 22-04-2005, 06:55 PM

I got bored of trying this and of waiting for a decent solution for the A1000.

Let's face it, it's exclusive to a less than popular network and it's from Motorola, not Nokia, so the chance of some company putting in time to develop something decent like Tomtom for it is slim. Also Motorola wasted a good phone by limiting the installation of software to the main phone.

I went out and bought a full on in car GPS system in the end.