All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 21-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Risotto Risotto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7
Risotto is on a distinguished road
VPN on 9500

Hi Guys,
I'm trying to connect to my local VPN at my university. We have some Cisco Concentrator 3000 here, which the 9500 is supposed to support. The problem is, that my 9500 wants to have some kind of policy server. It looks like this server pushes the settings to the client. Now, I know the required setting, but I don't have access to those policy servers nor do I have some kind of .SIS file with those in it. Is there a way to create this .SIS file with the required settings in it and transfer it to the 9500? Or will the 9500 only work with some kind of BS Nokia VPN solution? Are there any tools to set those settings?

Greets,

Risotto

  #2  
Old 25-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Risotto Risotto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7
Risotto is on a distinguished road
I really need help on this. How do you guys connect to your VPN networks? WLAN without VPN is not so cool!

  #3  
Old 25-11-2004, 04:21 AM
N/A's Avatar
N/A N/A is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,949
N/A is on a distinguished road
Whomever manages the VPN gateway(s) at your University also needs to have set up the [VPN] policy management server, I suppose.

It should be part of the Nokia VPN gateway products, at least (when it comes to Cisco, ask Cisco or have your network admins ask them, or Nokia).

The Nokia VPN gateway product page:
http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,43323,00.html

  #4  
Old 10-12-2004, 12:19 AM
whistler whistler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8
whistler is on a distinguished road
Hai risotto,

Have you managed to make a connection with the university. Because at my university we also use cisco 3000 and I have no idea how to make a connection.

Thanks in advance.

  #5  
Old 10-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Risotto Risotto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7
Risotto is on a distinguished road
Still clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler
Hai risotto,

Have you managed to make a connection with the university. Because at my university we also use cisco 3000 and I have no idea how to make a connection.

Thanks in advance.
No, I'm still very clueless. I have also been manageing VPN servers and routers, but I have never seen anything like a policy server. This must be some Nokia gadget which only comes with their VPN gateways. Still, the Communicator 9500 is claimed to be compatible with the Cisco Concentrator series. But I haven't found any clue on how to configure susch a gateway without a policy server nor could I find a vpn client software which would clearly state that it works with the Cisco gateway. Still they claim it is compatible: http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,54108,00.html. AFAIK there is no policy server for those Cisco series.
Ads

  #6  
Old 10-12-2004, 05:44 AM
alildevil alildevil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11
alildevil is on a distinguished road
Nokia 9500 VPN Client

have you tried this from their webpage

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,63512,00.html

  #7  
Old 11-12-2004, 04:20 AM
Risotto Risotto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7
Risotto is on a distinguished road
Of course, that's the client we're talking about... :(

  #8  
Old 21-12-2004, 08:15 PM
francois8500
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Vpn 9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risotto
Of course, that's the client we're talking about... :(

I've try to see how to use the VPN but I don't understand. I tied to call Nokia Careline but they don't know anything

  #9  
Old 22-12-2004, 03:50 PM
francois8500
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Sorry http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,6771,63508,00.html

I can't help you. see there if you find the solution in Nokia Guide

  #10  
Old 23-12-2004, 06:59 AM
che4711 che4711 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6
che4711 is on a distinguished road
What do Policy files look like?

Hi,

I just tried to find out what happens when a "Policy Server" ist beeing connected. Seems like a HTTP request for an object named http://<name of policy server>/nssm/acu is made. Obvoiusly that ist a proprietary method of Checkpoint VPN-1 to configure its VPN Clients.

Does anyone have an example how to specify the VPN setings in that file?
Can I simply set up a webserver serving out that file?
(How) is it password protected?

Regards, Christian

  #11  
Old 28-12-2004, 11:48 AM
PSa911
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hi

I managed to get some info about the problem described. As you can see, there
is no settings in the client itself and to get these settings you have to have a certain Nokia product (Nokia Security Service Manager) in your organization to distribute the policies. So no Cisco or Checkpoint can't be used without extra components. Nice, isn't it?

  #12  
Old 28-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Risotto Risotto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7
Risotto is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSa911
Hi

I managed to get some info about the problem described. As you can see, there
is no settings in the client itself and to get these settings you have to have a certain Nokia product (Nokia Security Service Manager) in your organization to distribute the policies. So no Cisco or Checkpoint can't be used without extra components. Nice, isn't it?
Yeah, I found that too. Maybe there is a way to simulate one of those settings files. It looks like they are delivered by a simple webserver as an ordinary file. If someone manages to get the format of those files we might be able to create the configurations by hand and send them to our Communicators via an ordinary webserver. Has anyone any hints on these kind of policy files? Is there anyone having access to such a nokia firewall? It would be great if there was a way to configure the vpn client. I know for sure that the client will work with a cisco concentrator, given the settings are provided by a policy server.

  #13  
Old 28-12-2004, 10:44 PM
karym6 karym6 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 30
karym6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by francois8500
I've try to see how to use the VPN but I don't understand. I tied to call Nokia Careline but they don't know anything
If you called the careline I am not surprised, its not their job to answer your questions on VPN. If you want to use the VPN client you need to speak with your university, they will have the information you need. Once you have that, call the Careline and ask for help putting it into the 9500, they will transfer you to technical support who can help. But, they will only help you enter it if you get stuck, its not their job to know what information you need to put in.....

  #14  
Old 29-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Risotto Risotto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 7
Risotto is on a distinguished road
Yeah, yeah.. thanks, but no thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karym6
If you called the careline I am not surprised, its not their job to answer your questions on VPN. If you want to use the VPN client you need to speak with your university, they will have the information you need. Once you have that, call the Careline and ask for help putting it into the 9500, they will transfer you to technical support who can help. But, they will only help you enter it if you get stuck, its not their job to know what information you need to put in.....
You're out of line. The discussion here is not on how to "enter" the right settings. Also, I wouldn't have to ask my university for the "right" settings, since I have them already. But it looks like you didn't care to read the other posts... The point is that there is simply no way to enter them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (nokia careline) to recognize that fact. Mere technically educated users will do as well.

The discussions here is on how to make the communicator get the right policy settings and on how such a policy server could be simulated without having to buy a nokia vpn gateway (this is no option for a mere user). Also mind, that the university will not buy such a costly gateway just for a few students crazy about the 9500.

It's about "hacking" in the right settings even if nokia doesn't want the users to do this! Probably the discussions is way too technical for you to help us on this topic. Please spare us the usual marketing/careline responses, thanks!

Yet another fact is, that nokia claims this device is compatible with cisco concentrators (this was one of the main reasons I bought this device in the first place!). Indeed it is, there is simply no way to put the settings in without that nokia security manager thing which was mentioned in an earlier post (and this is the main reason why I nearly feel cheated by nokia for not holding their sales promises). I would really appreciate an answer which could take us a little further on this topic. But please don't waste my time with those "behave-like-a-joe-average-customer-and-call-support" answers. I wouldn't start a discussion here if it were that simple!

  #15  
Old 29-12-2004, 01:32 PM
karym6 karym6 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 30
karym6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risotto
You're out of line. The discussion here is not on how to "enter" the right settings. Also, I wouldn't have to ask my university for the "right" settings, since I have them already. But it looks like you didn't care to read the other posts... The point is that there is simply no way to enter them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist (nokia careline) to recognize that fact. Mere technically educated users will do as well.

The discussions here is on how to make the communicator get the right policy settings and on how such a policy server could be simulated without having to buy a nokia vpn gateway (this is no option for a mere user). Also mind, that the university will not buy such a costly gateway just for a few students crazy about the 9500.

It's about "hacking" in the right settings even if nokia doesn't want the users to do this! Probably the discussions is way too technical for you to help us on this topic. Please spare us the usual marketing/careline responses, thanks!

Yet another fact is, that nokia claims this device is compatible with cisco concentrators (this was one of the main reasons I bought this device in the first place!). Indeed it is, there is simply no way to put the settings in without that nokia security manager thing which was mentioned in an earlier post (and this is the main reason why I nearly feel cheated by nokia for not holding their sales promises). I would really appreciate an answer which could take us a little further on this topic. But please don't waste my time with those "behave-like-a-joe-average-customer-and-call-support" answers. I wouldn't start a discussion here if it were that simple!
Wow,I didnt know i was speaking with the intellectual elite. So your uni has a vpn system that wont work with the 9500, which i expect it the consumer version . who do you think should help you out? uni who provide the vpn or nokia who are trying to make money? have you considered using a different vpn client to the nokia one? oh of course you have coz ur so god damn smart.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
9500, vpn

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nokia launches new enterprise-class Communicator GhostDog Series 80 56 01-04-2005 04:04 AM
My first thought of the 9500 after using it sabbath55 Nokia 9300 and 9500 13 22-11-2004 10:16 AM
PPTP VPN client on P800/P900? lungfish Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910 2 18-11-2004 08:06 PM
9210 to 9500 transition. David Moore Nokia 9300 and 9500 5 28-09-2004 07:49 PM
Psiloc announce 9500 programs as release nears Rafe Series 80 1 01-09-2004 10:34 AM



All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy