All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-11-2004, 11:08 PM

da_bar is on a distinguished road
Battery

In every review i read on the net said that the battery life is very low compared to other symbian phones but this site review said different.
So my question is how long does the battery really last compared to let's say 7610.
I'm buying a new phone and I can't decide between 7610 and 6260. Both phones are good and I don't need mp3, camera or an FM radio, I just need a symbian smartphone and if battery is bad in 6260 I'll go for the 7610.

Old 12-11-2004, 09:29 AM

dkeppler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bar
In every review i read on the net said that the battery life is very low compared to other symbian phones but this site review said different.
So my question is how long does the battery really last compared to let's say 7610.
I'm buying a new phone and I can't decide between 7610 and 6260. Both phones are good and I don't need mp3, camera or an FM radio, I just need a symbian smartphone and if battery is bad in 6260 I'll go for the 7610.
As I said in the review, the 6260 has the best battery life of any Smartphone I have tried. I didn't do exhaustive tests but in general use I found I didn't need to worry about charging the thing every day or even every other day. If you can wait a couple of days, I should be getting a 6670 and will do some back to back tests. I don't know if the batteries are the same in each, but given that the phones are broadly simmilar, the fact that the 6260 switches off its screen when closed must make a difference.

David

Old 12-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeppler
As I said in the review, the 6260 has the best battery life of any Smartphone I have tried. I didn't do exhaustive tests but in general use I found I didn't need to worry about charging the thing every day or even every other day.
Sorry but I'm not convinced about the battery life. I think you need to do a bit more extensive testing... I don't own a 6260, but it has the lowest capacity battery of any S60 phone - only 760mAh. Like 'da_bar', I've also read reviews complaining about its battery life.

When I first got an N-Gage, I found the battery to be much better than I first expected. But after some time I realised that the battery indicator was not to be trusted at all, it was extremely misleading. Even with minimal use a fully charged battery would only last me a maximum of 2.5 days - that's just not acceptable IMO. In comparison my P800 and P900 battery would keep me going for over a week, with the same amount of use. The N-Gage has a 850mAh battery, so I would imagine the 6260 to be even worse.

The thing I've noticed with these Nokia S60 phones is that the battery life is acceptable if you charge them every day, but they will rarely last you a weekend even with moderate use. And the most annoying thing is the useless battery indicator. Lets say you use it extensively for a few hours and the battery indicator only goes down 1 bar, and you think; wow this battery is great. Then 1 hour later - BAM the battery is dead. Another thing that has happened to me many times, is the battery indicator showing 3 bars before I go out, and I think that'll keep me going for a few more hours, but then 30 minutes later - BAM battery dead.

Fortunately my next phone has a 1300mAh battery
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 13-11-2004, 01:52 AM
Hidden Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
Sorry but I'm not convinced about the battery life. I think you need to do a bit more extensive testing... I don't own a 6260, but it has the lowest capacity battery of any S60 phone - only 760mAh. Like 'da_bar', I've also read reviews complaining about its battery life.

When I first got an N-Gage, I found the battery to be much better than I first expected. But after some time I realised that the battery indicator was not to be trusted at all, it was extremely misleading. Even with minimal use a fully charged battery would only last me a maximum of 2.5 days - that's just not acceptable IMO. In comparison my P800 and P900 battery would keep me going for over a week, with the same amount of use. The N-Gage has a 850mAh battery, so I would imagine the 6260 to be even worse.

The thing I've noticed with these Nokia S60 phones is that the battery life is acceptable if you charge them every day, but they will rarely last you a weekend even with moderate use. And the most annoying thing is the useless battery indicator. Lets say you use it extensively for a few hours and the battery indicator only goes down 1 bar, and you think; wow this battery is great. Then 1 hour later - BAM the battery is dead. Another thing that has happened to me many times, is the battery indicator showing 3 bars before I go out, and I think that'll keep me going for a few more hours, but then 30 minutes later - BAM battery dead.

Fortunately my next phone has a 1300mAh battery
i will say only onething
the battery of this mobile
SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSS
it dont last even 1 day with my use but i always use the bluetooth

but really i can asure that this is not a gud battery for such phone

the p910i us much better in bigger screen and better options and more creative than this phone AND THE BATTERY IS MUCH LONGER

HuH!!!!!!

shame on u nokia

Old 18-11-2004, 09:21 AM
newman

about battery

uh, i do not know whether i can change n6260 battery or not? (to get another longer)

Old 18-11-2004, 09:22 AM
newman

about battery

uh, i do not know whether i can change n6260 battery or not? (mean to get a longer)

Old 19-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
If you guys have ever used a Microsoft Smartphone, you'd realise that this battery isn't so bad after all.

Seriously though (even so, the above is based on personal experience), I don't find this battery too bad. As long as the screen brightness isn't set to Max, it last quite a while even with Bluetooth on and the FM Radio in use plus regular voice and GPRS usage.

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 19-11-2004, 05:19 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANKERx
If you guys have ever used a Microsoft Smartphone, you'd realise that this battery isn't so bad after all.

Seriously though (even so, the above is based on personal experience), I don't find this battery too bad. As long as the screen brightness isn't set to Max, it last quite a while even with Bluetooth on and the FM Radio in use plus regular voice and GPRS usage.
A colleague has the old SPV E200, the battery life does indeed suck in quite alarming ways.

However, the newer C500 model has a much faster processor (200mHz against 132), better bluetooth implementation, and the battery can now last up to 4 days - the E200 was typically a day and a bit.

So Nokia have definitely moved backwards with the 6260, when the opposition are moving forwards.

Typically Nokia.
Ads

Old 20-11-2004, 01:13 AM

Orophin Anwarunya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Ox
i will say only onething
the battery of this mobile
SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSS
it dont last even 1 day with my use but i always use the bluetooth

but really i can asure that this is not a gud battery for such phone

the p910i us much better in bigger screen and better options and more creative than this phone AND THE BATTERY IS MUCH LONGER

HuH!!!!!!

shame on u nokia
OH JUST FUCK OFF WITH YOUR P9CRAP!!!

i'm tired of you asshats just barging in only to advertise. if you have a p910, why th heck would you need a 6260.

anyways, i agree, the clamshell formfactor has greatly reduced the battery capacity of the 6260....though i have been able to run the mp3 player all day with only half the bar gone, and i always have bluetooth on.

|\__/|
( ^_^)

Old 24-11-2004, 04:28 PM

Thanh-BKK is on a distinguished road
not too bad after all... and a GOOD indicator!

Hi there

I have a 6260 "in the family" and a 3650 of my own. Even tough the 6260 is a quite buggy phone, i have to say that the battery life isn't that bad after all.

With moderate us (sbout 45 min-1 hour calls, several SMS, GPRS maybe half hour, plus some game playing/radio/mp3, the battery will keep it alive for two days without being shut over night. Compared to my 3650 it lasts quite long, since i use the 3650 mainly for playing around, cam, and GPRS - it hardly stands a single day without actually making a single call! But ok, i'm a heavy GPRS user

And the indicator on the 3650 is indeed useless, but it helps (also in terms of "low memory" errors) greatly if you just shut off and power on the phone every few hours during heavy or moderate use. Rebooting clears the memory of fragmented files (logs etc!) and also gives correct battery indication. Try it! Use it for a while, and reboot. you will notice that it shows a lower battery capacity, and THAT is the real one

I can only say, the battery indicator of the 6260 does NOTY show this behaviour, it indicates quite correctly.

Kind regards....

Thanh