All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-10-2004, 07:18 PM

hseng12 is on a distinguished road
IM+ Program that runs on both Bluetooth and GPRS

Hi. I am currently trying to write a program that will allow me to use my P900 to run MSN Messenger, IRC and other chat programs on both GPRS and my broadband connection via Bluetooth. The idea of it will be that when I am at home I will be able to connect directly to my broadband connection via my PC, and when I am out of range, it will connnect me via GPRS allowing for constant chatting wherever I am.

I am a beginner in writing programs on mobile phones and I have some questions, so here it goes:

(1) If i write my program in Java, would it appear as a Java applet or as a running application. Do I HAVE to use C++ to write, as my C++ coding isn't as good as my Java??

(2) Does anyone know of any resources that can guide me? Like a beginners guide to programming on a UIQ device?

(3) Finally, does anyone have any ideas on how I can improve on the idea that I have right now?

Thanks!! P.S. If I am able to write this program out, I will post it online and share it with you guys!! Hopefully I'll get some feedback...

Old 28-10-2004, 12:22 AM

longbeard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hseng12
Hi. I am currently trying to write a program that will allow me to use my P900 to run MSN Messenger, IRC and other chat programs on both GPRS and my broadband connection via Bluetooth. The idea of it will be that when I am at home I will be able to connect directly to my broadband connection via my PC, and when I am out of range, it will connnect me via GPRS allowing for constant chatting wherever I am.

I am a beginner in writing programs on mobile phones and I have some questions, so here it goes:

(1) If i write my program in Java, would it appear as a Java applet or as a running application. Do I HAVE to use C++ to write, as my C++ coding isn't as good as my Java??

(2) Does anyone know of any resources that can guide me? Like a beginners guide to programming on a UIQ device?

(3) Finally, does anyone have any ideas on how I can improve on the idea that I have right now?

Thanks!! P.S. If I am able to write this program out, I will post it online and share it with you guys!! Hopefully I'll get some feedback...

Have you successfully used GPRS with your notebook? I just got my P900 a couple of weeks back and have yet to set-up the GPRS Bluetooth connection with my iBook G4.
Ads