All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-10-2004, 09:09 PM

Wireless Monkey is on a distinguished road
Bye bye SendoX

Good bye. Sendo X is dead in Spain.

But before leaving this forum I wanted to post a thread just to advice something to Sendo (via plynkikev):

I know that Sendo X was an actual adventure for Sendo (problems with MS, ancient architecure Nokia Symbian...) but you missed your goal. You thought: "We will do the best Symbian phone on the market!" yeah, cool! Have you ever tried to have a beta-tester?? You can't put on the market a product that is not even a beta version!

You have to learn from Nokia: THEY NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM!! Of course, they DO! But apparently they don't! You don't have to tolerate posts like those you can read in this forum!! It's the forum where people speaks the most about SendoX... and what does people see!??! JUST TONS OF PROBLEMS! You thought that hearing consumers would be a great move, you would improve your product at users will... let me help you: WAKE UP! This is a very aggressive market!! And nobody tolerates errors.

I had a big faith in SendoX. And I'm sure that for other countries the SendoX experience is not that painful, but in Spain you made the big error. You don't have to depend on a mobile operator... NEVER! Release a good product, and then let the destiny speak...

In fact, I don't know why I'm doing this... maybe cuz I really like you guys, but I know that my words will be misunderstood (in part because of my english, I'm sorry) and that lots of people will say that this is an attack to Sendo... I assure you that it's not...

If you don't have the image (nokia can sell a shity phone just because of its name) you can't play with it...

OF COURSE, I'm not saying that you don't have to have some feedback with users!! But in another level please...

Last edited by Wireless Monkey; 13-10-2004 at 09:13 PM.

Old 14-10-2004, 08:34 AM

Barros is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with you, in most of the points... :(

One of the biggest problem is the fact that firmware updates depend on operators.... that is very crappy...
Ads

Old 14-10-2004, 09:19 AM

morph is on a distinguished road
Absolutely agree with you...

for me the big problem is : what can i do with my sendo x? I have spent 370 euros for a phone than i canīt use and i canīt sell (bugs, bugs, BUGSSSSSSSS) .
Please could you give some advice? I canīt afford to throw it to the rubbish (itīs a lot of money)

iīm getting crazy about this

Old 14-10-2004, 09:23 AM

euphoriauk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless Monkey
Good bye. Sendo X is dead in Spain.

But before leaving this forum I wanted to post a thread just to advice something to Sendo (via plynkikev):

I know that Sendo X was an actual adventure for Sendo (problems with MS, ancient architecure Nokia Symbian...) but you missed your goal. You thought: "We will do the best Symbian phone on the market!" yeah, cool! Have you ever tried to have a beta-tester?? You can't put on the market a product that is not even a beta version!

You have to learn from Nokia: THEY NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM!! Of course, they DO! But apparently they don't! You don't have to tolerate posts like those you can read in this forum!! It's the forum where people speaks the most about SendoX... and what does people see!??! JUST TONS OF PROBLEMS! You thought that hearing consumers would be a great move, you would improve your product at users will... let me help you: WAKE UP! This is a very aggressive market!! And nobody tolerates errors.

I had a big faith in SendoX. And I'm sure that for other countries the SendoX experience is not that painful, but in Spain you made the big error. You don't have to depend on a mobile operator... NEVER! Release a good product, and then let the destiny speak...

In fact, I don't know why I'm doing this... maybe cuz I really like you guys, but I know that my words will be misunderstood (in part because of my english, I'm sorry) and that lots of people will say that this is an attack to Sendo... I assure you that it's not...

If you don't have the image (nokia can sell a shity phone just because of its name) you can't play with it...

OF COURSE, I'm not saying that you don't have to have some feedback with users!! But in another level please...
Wireless monkey - For gods sake it's Sendo's first smartphone. Personally i would like to say thank you to Sendo for providing me with a great smartphone and providing the level of support you don't generally get from other manufacturers.
Just a few good points:
1. Firmware updates - i have very few problems now and the minor ones i do have are due to be fixed in forthcoming s/w releases
2. Online support - great FAQ system and option to submit queries direct to Sendo
3. Tech specs, training documents & emulators - very comprehensive and useful
+ many more
Looking forward to the accessories (BT headset, keyboard, cradle, carkit etc) due very soon

Keep up the good work

Old 14-10-2004, 02:33 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoriauk
Wireless monkey - For gods sake it's Sendo's first smartphone. Personally i would like to say thank you to Sendo for providing me with a great smartphone and providing the level of support you don't generally get from other manufacturers.
Just a few good points:
1. Firmware updates - i have very few problems now and the minor ones i do have are due to be fixed in forthcoming s/w releases
2. Online support - great FAQ system and option to submit queries direct to Sendo
3. Tech specs, training documents & emulators - very comprehensive and useful
+ many more
Looking forward to the accessories (BT headset, keyboard, cradle, carkit etc) due very soon

Keep up the good work
I wouldn't have quite so much faith in the next firmware upgrade. I have recently upgraded my firmware and now have problems with signal strength and receiving SMSs that I never used to have.

Also I have to say, it's nice to see a British company trying to develop a market leading device but the fact that it's their first try can NOT be allowed to become an excuse. It's also my first smartphone but I paid a lot of money for it and I expect it to work. Not just when the wind is blowing in the right direction but ALL THE TIME. This is a phone. It might have a lot of extra functionality but first and foremost it has to a reliable communication device.

In order to run my business and provide the level of support my customers expect from me I have had to swap my SIM into an old Nokia series 40 handset and return to my Palm Tungsten.

It's a hell of a lot less convenient than having a single device to do everything but IT WORKS ALL THE TIME.

I hope that the next firmware release does sort out the problem but I am not really so confident anymore that it will.

Old 14-10-2004, 05:04 PM

locutus_uk is on a distinguished road
I feel the same about my Sendo X.

Since the update the reception is worse. I try and make calls and the phone just won't and comes up with calling and then disconnected. The web browsing is sporadic as is the sending of MMS.

I too wish I hadn't got this phone and feel like I have wasted a lot of money on it.
Also since the last firmware update there has been no hint of when the next one will be out and wether it will fix the bugs.

I can't wait for my contract to be up in January so I can get another phone

Old 14-10-2004, 05:10 PM

Barros is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus_uk

Since the update the reception is worse. I try and make calls and the phone just won't and comes up with calling and then disconnected. The web browsing is sporadic as is the sending of MMS.

I too wish I hadn't got this phone and feel like I have wasted a lot of money on it.
Also since the last firmware update there has been no hint of when the next one will be out and wether it will fix the bugs.

I only hope sendo works good in next firmware update....
or else

Old 14-10-2004, 06:42 PM

mart_is_good is on a distinguished road
How negative does this thread wanna be??!! Maybe its just me who thinks this is the best phone available. Surely its positive points outweigh its negative ones. This phone kicks arse, what is there better??

About the beta testers, you gotta remember that Sendo are a small company and therefore have less to spend on testing than the likes of Nokia. Having said that this phone is more stable than any Nokia I have ever had.

And what many do not seem to understand about the firmware is that operators and Sendo sign a contract. In which the operator customises the FW and that they must approve it and any future updates. It is the operators fault, not Sendo's. Please remember that Sendo are one of the only companies offering a downloadable update. If you bought a Nokia you would have to send it away for a week. IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME WITH THE SIEMENS SX1!

The Sendo X is by far the best smartphone around, followed closley by the SX1 and 7610.

To the idiot who says that the old version of Series 60 has too few users compared with the new one. Isn't it obvious that the older version is much more popular?? So support is NOT rapidly declining. The following phones use S60 v1.x

Sendo X
Siemens SX1
Nokia 3660
Nokia 3650
Nokia 7650

Whereas the newer S60 v2.x is only used by 2:

Nokia 7610
Nokia 6600

Simple maths says that:

greater choice of phones that have been around longer > newer phones around for much less time.

Old 14-10-2004, 07:12 PM
sendo shit

Talking haha sendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart_is_good
How negative does this thread wanna be??!! Maybe its just me who thinks this is the best phone available. Surely its positive points outweigh its negative ones. This phone kicks arse, what is there better??

About the beta testers, you gotta remember that Sendo are a small company and therefore have less to spend on testing than the likes of Nokia. Having said that this phone is more stable than any Nokia I have ever had.

And what many do not seem to understand about the firmware is that operators and Sendo sign a contract. In which the operator customises the FW and that they must approve it and any future updates. It is the operators fault, not Sendo's. Please remember that Sendo are one of the only companies offering a downloadable update. If you bought a Nokia you would have to send it away for a week. IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME WITH THE SIEMENS SX1!

The Sendo X is by far the best smartphone around, followed closley by the SX1 and 7610.

To the idiot who says that the old version of Series 60 has too few users compared with the new one. Isn't it obvious that the older version is much more popular?? So support is NOT rapidly declining. The following phones use S60 v1.x

Sendo X
Siemens SX1
Nokia 3660
Nokia 3650
Nokia 7650

Whereas the newer S60 v2.x is only used by 2:

Nokia 7610
Nokia 6600

Simple maths says that:

greater choice of phones that have been around longer > newer phones around for much less time.
haha The Sendo X is by far the best smartphone around, followed closley by the SX1 and 7610.
u are an idiot hahaha no coment

Old 14-10-2004, 07:49 PM

Wireless Monkey is on a distinguished road
I couldn't pass without looking what kind of reactions I created with my last post.

And I post my really last one just to say that I'm always speaking in the Spanish point of view. Maybe some of you guys don't have the problems that the spanish Sendo has (however, as I've said in my post this is due IN PART to the spanish operator), and it's very easy to speak when your phone just won't let you put a capital letter (I'm just saying a stupid example). The spanish Sendo lacks on EVERYTHING. And I was just advising to Sendo that this is not the way of doing things. If you're not a big brand company, you can't risk your image this way. Love at first glance is a fact that in this phone market rules the whole thing. And you just have to visit forums like these (in Spain they are worse cuz people is really angry with a phone that won't even make a simple call) to get your decision: I won't buy a Sendo.

And just to reply the last stupid post (I'm really impressed with the other reply's cuz everybody has been very intelligent in his point of view): It's not fair. I've lost plenty of hours just visiting webs and forums of Sendo X I even ordered one!! (But it never came due to the total Spanish chaos with this handy) Now that I leave you guys, I just want to wish you GOOD LUCK! And I really wish that at some point of time Sendo will fix those problems on your Sendos and you get the BEST SMARTPHONE of a big period of time!

Not everything that starts badly finishes as a disaster! I hope that an ancient architecture doesn't pull this project into the black hole!

GOOD LUCK!!!

PS: of course, I will visit my last post for reactions but won't respond (And I allways say this trying to be the more humble I can be)

Old 14-10-2004, 09:54 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart_is_good
Actually I agree. The Sendo X is the best Series 60 phone around on paper.

The number of feature they have packed into a comparatively small size is phenominal. BUT IT HAS TO WORK AS A PHONE. Maybe you aren't affected by the signal problems but those of us who are have a right to feel agrieved that the firmware "upgrade" has actually made things worse.

I will hang on to my X and apply the next upgrade in the hope that this issue is resolved and I can use the phone again. Right now it's just a low capacity MP3 player.

Old 14-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus_uk

I'm really sorry to hear this - my French handset has been FAR, no, FAR more stable with 1.56.2.2 installed, and has had very, very few issues with regard to calling.

On my current 1.72.5 handset (Expansys UK model) it's even better - I had to restart the phone for the first time in a week today, and that's only cause I wanted to swap the SIM!

Oh, I've been told to expect the next firmware around the end of this current month

For those of you who come up with such useful comments as "it's the best smartphone - ha ha ha" - grow up people! We all know the internet is an open place, but with this much bitching going on, is it any wonder the likes of Plinkykev have stopped bothering to help out here?

Think on this: YOU'VE LOST YOUR SUPPORT FROM SENDO DUE TO YOUR CHILDISH ATTITUDES!

Old 15-10-2004, 07:08 AM

AlfieShooter is on a distinguished road
I have to admit, the points are fair.

The Sendo X, for all it's promise is just not reliable. When I first got it, I'd blame anything and everything which could be causing the problems; I must be in a bad signal area, perhaps I'd pressed something wrong.

But the cold hard truth is, the Sendo is riddled with bugs and problems, and barely functions as a communication device.

Saying this is Sendo's first stab at the smartphone, while true, is of no consequence and is of little comfort to me, in fact all of us, who are left with a stinging bill and a second rate handset.

I waited so long to get this phone, and I was so sure it would be great, now I have it, I wish I hadn't been so patient

Last edited by AlfieShooter; 15-10-2004 at 07:21 AM.

Old 15-10-2004, 10:06 AM

Elite is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, there are very few technically complex products that come to market that dont have bugs/problems - irrespective of the size/budget of the company. Nokia is a market leader & even it has problems (a friend recently purchased a 6230 & was very concerned when he saw the list of bugs that phone had when it launched). I have a Pace Twin DVB-T DVR and the forum posts about problems with this run to 100s of pages. Look at Microsoft - one of the largest software developers in the world & even with all of their testing/marketing resources, it usually takes them 3 attempts to get a product right.

The key point is: how does the company deal with bugs/design flaws etc ? In the case of Nokia, once the number of bugs reaches critical mass, firmware upgrades will be released, but you will need to go to a service centre. Sendo use forums such as these to collect feedback/interact with their customers (which is something you wont get with Nokia unless you are a developer) and they then release upgrades direct from their website - which is an excellent idea & one that I hope is adopted by other companies.

Smart phones are effectively pocket sized computers, so its inevitable given the complexity of these products that there will be issues. I sympathise with people who are either stuck on earlier SendoX firmware versions or are still having problems with basic call handling in the latest firmware, but the key thing is that Sendo is listening and I am sure wants to get this resolved.

Although it will be of little consolation to people who are still having issues, I have really been stress testing my phone with software installs, memory card hot swaps, mp3 playback, web/wap browsing etc just to see if I can find any bugs and whilst it is not perfect, the phone has been very stable & I have not lost any sms messages/missed calls etc.

Although it has taken Sendo a long time to get this phone to market (I personally find that pre-announcing products so far in advance is frustrating, but Sendo is certainly not alone in doing this), it is still their first Symbian based smartphone and posters who say this is irrelevant are being naive.

Yes, there are some design points that could be improved upon and yes, Sendo need to ensure that bugs that some people are experiencing with non UK firmware versions are resolved asap, but I still think for a first attempt, Sendo has done an excellent job & I certainly dont regret buying this phone.

Old 15-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
I agree 100% with Elite