All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > Series 80

Old 12-10-2004, 04:33 PM
TuikkA

Lightbulb Share PC internet connection through com port to communicator???

Hi ya all!

I was doing stuff with my 9210 and i kinda got this ephiphany (or what ever) and i started to think that, i am sharing my internet (ADSL) connecion with my second pc but is it possible to share the internet connection to com port so that the communicator could use this connection whith data cable (or ir if available) to connect to internet. If my memory serves me right, i remember reading about an article or some piece of software that communicator had an IrDA connection to a phone that had gprs I-net and the communicator used the other phones gprs connection through IrDA to connect to the internet. To accomplish this, i think that pc would need some kind of a process (or what ever) that feeds the internet connection to the com port and 92xx would probably need some code that it could connect to the feeding... program.. thingy.. (?) The speed would not naturally be xDSL level but as fast as possible. (hopefully)

If this sounds like load of bulls***t, you don't have to tell me that, just ignore this thread.

It was just an intresting idea. Someone, give it a try and report to this thread.
Unless it's already done, please let me know how.

I'll be checking this thread now and then or when ever i remember.

Have nice day! :-)

Finland 12.10.2004

Old 12-10-2004, 08:05 PM
TuikkA

Thumbs down

Ok.

i tried psiloc extended internet... ...thingy but i was not happy with it. Barely got it working and when i did, it was not all i expected.

I'm open for new ideas but let's just forget it. okay?

An open source version would be handy thou.

Someone with skill could do such set of applications but anyway ...

have a nice day...

Finlan... aah screw that!
Ads

Old 29-12-2004, 03:12 AM

DJ_KamBoosha is on a distinguished road
Talking it's very easy

Salam (= Hello in english)

indeed coneecting a commy to a dsl internet connection
i already connect mine to my dsl connetion

that thing called extended internet is a piece of crap, just forget it

there is another program called mrouter, it was released as a beta, but the mother company didn't develop it any more !

any way, if u can't find it urself, just pm me & i'll send u the links

bye !

Old 02-01-2005, 07:02 PM

xan is on a distinguished road
The 9210 is based on Symbian OS, right?

You could use the program called gnubox to connect it to your computer using bluetooth or IrDa. GnuBox is GPL, so you can have the sources. It should not be too difficult to change it to use the comm port and data cable. (I did it on the gnubox for sonyericsson version.)

Also you need some sort of internet connection sharing stuff, and dial-up networking server, all of this is discussed on sites about gnubox.

mRouter is definitely not discontinued, the 'PC suite' program is an mRouter server

Old 01-04-2005, 03:52 AM

Monsyur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xan
The 9210 is based on Symbian OS, right?

You could use the program called gnubox to connect it to your computer using bluetooth or IrDa. GnuBox is GPL, so you can have the sources. It should not be too difficult to change it to use the comm port and data cable. (I did it on the gnubox for sonyericsson version.)

Also you need some sort of internet connection sharing stuff, and dial-up networking server, all of this is discussed on sites about gnubox.

mRouter is definitely not discontinued, the 'PC suite' program is an mRouter server

Wao... interesting Subject.
I'm using Nokia 9300. Could any1 help how 2 share my broadband PC internet to my N9300.
Thank in Advance.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:48 PM

jemacdonald is on a distinguished road
We'd all like to know this answer!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsyur
Wao... interesting Subject.
I'm using Nokia 9300. Could any1 help how 2 share my broadband PC internet to my N9300.
Thank in Advance.
Wouldn't we all like to know the answer to this question. Having come from a PPC world, this was a **lot** easier with ActiveSync.

That said, I wouldn't trade my 9300 for any PPC. Taking phone calls on an IPAQ is like talking into a dinner plate

Old 12-04-2005, 12:53 PM

a_booth is on a distinguished road
I remember a piece of software used with Psion devices called MochaPPP. The software was written for Palm OS pdas to connect I think, but the principle applied irrespective of the device and the psions worked fine. It may still be of use as a serial pass-through for any serial connection from any device?

Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 PM

starrateit is on a distinguished road
Nokia 9300

Has anyone managed to get the Sharing of the internet on your PC to your communicator right.

I have a 9300 and have been looking for a solution.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Tretboot is on a distinguished road
Yes please someone do something for the Nokia 9300! If i only knew that Internet over BT is not possible i would have gone for the 9500, with my 3650 it worked very easy without any software, only thing there was the missing full keyboard...

Old 02-08-2005, 05:47 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Nokia Network Bridge: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,6566,034-881,00.html

Old 02-08-2005, 05:53 PM

pierro78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
I don't thinks this support the bluetooth connexion as requested by Tretboot for his 9300. Please correct me if I am wrong ...

Old 02-08-2005, 09:13 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Right. It works with the USB cable.