All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Older Phones and Archived Forums > Nokia 6260

Old 20-10-2004, 10:29 PM

john74 is on a distinguished road
Whoever wants 640x480 photo size on the 6260 you must hold the phone as shown in the photo and no more annoying 480x640,also another tip if you want to silent a call if your busy and the ringtone is loud (with the flip closed with the screen in )all you need to do is to press the volume down button for 2 seconds and it mutes your ringtone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(303).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1981  
Ads

Old 04-11-2004, 04:21 PM

Wildboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by john74
Whoever wants 640x480 photo size on the 6260 you must hold the phone as shown in the photo and no more annoying 480x640,also another tip if you want to silent a call if your busy and the ringtone is loud (with the flip closed with the screen in )all you need to do is to press the volume down button for 2 seconds and it mutes your ringtone
If you hold it that way, how are you going to see the screen at eyelevel???
Why not suggest to hold it upright and look perpendicular to the object that you're trying to take???
It really is a firmware flaw here, which Nokia admits itself as well, and promises a fixes in the new firmware. But at this moment, we really shoudnt try to understate how serious, if not stupid, this flaw is.

Old 06-11-2004, 03:50 AM

Orophin Anwarunya is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildboy
If you hold it that way, how are you going to see the screen at eyelevel???
Why not suggest to hold it upright and look perpendicular to the object that you're trying to take???
It really is a firmware flaw here, which Nokia admits itself as well, and promises a fixes in the new firmware. But at this moment, we really shoudnt try to understate how serious, if not stupid, this flaw is.
If its really just a firmware problem and will be rectified, then i'm very happy. Its a shame adequate testing is not done prior to release to clean-up these major "bugs".

Ok, i've had this phone for 3 days now, and i have to say, very honestly, the design is cool but abit impractical in some cases.

Twisting screens are cool, IF, the software behind it is up to scratch and the camera app and its reduced resolution is a major example of how not to do it.

Another downside is the fact that i cant access the MMC from the PC via bluetooth (i havent tried cable and infrared) and theres the lack of serial port access. The PC Suite's inadequacy doesnt suprise me, having used nokia based phone software for a long time now......At least the SX1 and T68i suites were very good. Get it right Nokia!!!!

The radio app is like an Arsenal supporter in a stand full of Manchester United supporters, it just doesnt seem to belong. Its not included in the Go To list and the softkey assignment list. I know its a new addition to Series 60, but they could have at least taken that extra time to "code" it in. It worked on the SX1!!!

The "Status LED" (if thats what you want to call it), is cool, but limited. It should flash continously if theres a missed call when in "closed" mode. It shouldnt BUZZ when i connect the charger, but it stops after a while. I can understand it not being On contantly as a service light like Sony Ericsson phones, simply cos' its too powerful that your battery would be sucked of its little life in a matter of minutes. Its so bright, even in a lit room.....but not enough to act as a torch. Lets just say, you will find it very easily in a dark forest.

And Finally.......the fault we all love to hate, its definately, positively, MONO...the MP3 player at least. The FM Radio is a woderful full stereo delight.
Now, personally, i dont mind the single channel music. I figure if 3650, 6600, N-Gage, 7610 owners can manage that, then why cant i?? Though i bet they just did that cos' they didnt have a choice
The fact of the matter is i can still enjoy full mp3 tracks and the mono actually sounds better than my dearly departed 7650.

Good points, Good points you ask so fervently!!! Hmmm, are there any???......

.....Just joking!! There are!

For one thing, contrary to other "nit-pickers", i like the design....gimmicky as it may be. The impracticalities of constant twisting, is not as bad as it sounds and it becomes a smooth habit in time. Laziness id your enemy.

The the two tier keyboard configuration is not a problem for a "big-handed" guy like me, I can easily use one hand to operate all functions. Of course, there are obviously more stability issuess here than other clamshells, in that it means ist easier to knock the phone off your hand......but a wrist lanyard quickly solves that imminent tragedy of your shiny new phone kissing asphalt!

I absolutely love the screen. Its just Beautifuly clear and BRIGHT!!! I've had to reduce the brightness to save on power, but its still fabulous. The 65K really works here, if its viewing pics, videos, or playing games. The latter, i will get to (he says excitedly). But of course, its not the best on the market and 262k screens are becoming more common. I have faith in Nokia....heck, thats all i got now!!!

The GAMES!!! (calms down!!) I'm talking about Picodrive, the Sega Megadrive emulator. Its amazing what you can do these days on such a small device......no, i'm not that old! I set the screen to Landscape-Left and held the phone sideways, with the screen to the right of my hand, while i held the keypad. Just imagine holding the Gameboy SP sideways. It takes some getting used to, but the end result is brilliant.
BUT i ask, why is there a landscape mode, if most series 60 phones are candybars? One would just be playing the game sideways-upsidedown and you cant hold them the way i can with the 6260.
My Megadrive Classics have never looked so good........if only i could find more roms.

The Series 60 2.0 is sweetly smooth and responsive. I'm not Commander Ewan, so i cant speak of the fine intricases of the underlying structure, but i know it does its job well. Though, its a shame i cant use some of my old 7650 apps on it, but thats ok, i have to "buy" new software.......just trying to be a cheapskate by recycling
I cant use Photographer or Camera FX. Maybe its that "bug" mentioned earlier, and its different configuration from other cameraphones.

Well, thats my short experience of the Nokia 6260 for now. Its not a Megapixel phone and is probably, as many others have stated, "a 6600 in another guise"...but frankly, i like this guise better and i'm not totally impressed with the current Megapixel phones......excepting the S700i.
There is room for improvement, but thats what we are going to get from future releases (hopefully).....Nokia havent closed shop yet!!!
Once that firmware fix is released, i will be 90 percent happy with this phone (currently 60 percent).

I have to say though, my next phone is a 7710. That is my baby!!! .....no offence to the fiance, of course

EDIT: The N-Gage has a radio app too, but i dont know how well intergrated that is.

|\__/|
( ^_^)

Last edited by Orophin Anwarunya; 06-11-2004 at 04:47 AM.

Old 29-12-2004, 09:21 AM

DaViD_BRaNDoN is on a distinguished road
Nice review Just got myself a Nokia 6260 and I think the LED is under-used. It has more potential than to only blink on incoming calls and light-on continuously on charging

Old 29-12-2004, 04:31 PM

Freeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin Anwarunya
If its really just a firmware problem and will be rectified, then i'm very happy. Its a shame adequate testing is not done prior to release to clean-up these major "bugs".

[...]

Well, thats my short experience of the Nokia 6260 for now. Its not a Megapixel phone and is probably, as many others have stated, "a 6600 in another guise"...but frankly, i like this guise better and i'm not totally impressed with the current Megapixel phones......excepting the S700i.
There is room for improvement, but thats what we are going to get from future releases (hopefully).....Nokia havent closed shop yet!!!
Once that firmware fix is released, i will be 90 percent happy with this phone (currently 60 percent).

I have to say though, my next phone is a 7710. That is my baby!!! .....no offence to the fiance, of course

EDIT: The N-Gage has a radio app too, but i dont know how well intergrated that is.
Yeah man, I agree with you in all the terms you exposed above! The 480x360 resolution in Image mode is the worst thing of this phone: I bought it a week ago and I'm just waiting for a future firmware that fixes this. If so, for me this phone will be one of the best of the VGA models in the market.

Last edited by Freeman; 29-12-2004 at 04:34 PM.