All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-09-2004, 01:03 AM

thegonzo is on a distinguished road
Wink A Solution to end all P900 USB Conectivity Woes

Hello all

I had the same problem as everyone had - the USB Cradle could not connect to my beloved P900.

Here's how I managed to fix it - I hope that it works for you too.

First for the Prologue. I've got Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, along with Kaspersky AV and ZoneAlarm Security Suite installed - this is basically all that needs to be said. Now, when I first set up my P900, and installed all the drivers/software - it connected first time, great. But the moment I lifted it off the cradle and then tried to set it down on it again, it would just freeze with some error, probably "synchronisation failed". Fine then. I restarted my computer with the P900 IN THE CRADLE, let it boot up, and loe and behold the pc can access the device.

Because this situation was slowly but surely driving me insane, I had to fix this, and so onto my solution:

1. First off, make sure you have the LATEST drivers installed for your DSS SyncStation. The drivers are in .zip format, and need to be extracted to a folder once finished downloading -remember the location. These can be found here (WinXP):

http://www.sonyericsson.com/download...SS_Drivers.zip

2. Now that you've got the drivers, get the LATEST PC Suite here (WinXP):

http://www.sonyericsson.com/download....4.1_EN-US.exe

As well as the latest Connectivity Pack, here:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/download...1_1.5.10.2.exe

3. Make sure that any previous installation of drivers and software has been Uninstalled/removed - just follow the uninstall route through Add/Remove Programs in the WinXP Control Panel; remember you will have to *remove* the USB cable from the cradle before uninstalling the drivers - this is important. Once you have uninstalled EVERYTHING related to Sony Ericsson and the P900, REBOOT for this to take full effect. Keep the cable unplugged for now.

4. Once your computer has booted up and is ready to rock, you can connect the USB cable from your cradle to your PC. A prompt should come up, and direct it to the extracted files from the driver zip from step number 1. Windows should find the drivers, and install them automatically. Notice how it installs twice? That's because Windows is not only installing the driver for your cradle, but also a driver to allow Communication through this USB "COM" port. This is important.

5. Configure the following settings:

ON YOUR PHONE:

Go to Control Panel -> Connections -> Cable...

Cable Status: Make Sure "PC CONNECT" is selected.
Baud Rate: 115200
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Character Length: 8
Flow Control: None

ON YOUR PC (in WinXP):

Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM&LPT) -> SEMC DSS Syncstation

In the SEMC DSS Syncstation Properties Window that pops up:

Port Settings Tab:

Bits Per Second: 115200
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: None

Port Settings Tab -> Advanced Button:

COM Port Number: COM 10 (ten)
All the rest leave as defaults.

6. Now that the configuration has been done, go ahead and install the PC Suite that you downloaded, as well as the connectivity pack, in any order.

Once the suite has installed, the Phone Connection Link icon in the system tray (bottom right) should appear. Double click on this to configure it, and make sure that COM 10 is checked.

7. Here't the tricky part. You most likely have a firewall installed if you're reading this, so this is my remedy to the situation. Once the suite has installed and runs, your firewall should go haywire detecting all programs trying to access the nternet/network. IT IS VITAL THAT YOU ALLOW EVERY APPLICATION TO ACCESS THE NET THAT HAS JUST BEEN INSTALLED. But it doesn't end there, I've found. Your firewall doesn't pick up some applications that try to access the net, and so it
doesn't add said programs to it's "allowed" list. Here's what I did...

8. Open your firewall program (I use ZoneAlarm, but they're all really similar anyway). Go to the Programs section. There should be an option to ADD a rogram to be allowed or denied. Click on this button. Direct the program to go to (most commonly) C:/Program Files/Sony Ericsson/Mobile and C:/Program Files/Sony Ericsson/Mobile/Connectivity Pack. MANUALLY ADD THESE PROGRAMS, AND ALLOW *TOTAL* PERMISSION TO ACCESS THE NETWORK:

- mRouterRuntime MFC Application (mRouterRuntime.exe)
- Phone Connection Monitor Application (audevicemgr.exe)
- SCRFS Module (SCRFS.exe)
- DXP SyncML Module (DXP SyncML.exe)
- BroadCast Proxy Module (BroadcastProxy.exe)
- CapMan Module (CapMan.exe)
- ArchiveManager Module (ArchiveManagerServer.exe)

I noticed that a few of those programs weren't actually detected by the firewall at all, but *HAVE* to be allowed total access to the network regardless.

9. And now, you're done. Restart your computer to be sure, and viola - you can see your handy phone, and your'e laughing. You can remove it, put it back in, and it detects.

I hope this helps - I've just spent 2 friggin hours typing this, so it better be appreciated.

Comments, flaims, questions? E-Mail me: johnrmcohen@hotmail.com

theGonzo

Last edited by thegonzo; 02-09-2004 at 01:08 AM.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:27 AM

hAnDyGUY is on a distinguished road
that's interesting...

although I have non of these problems, but I appriciate your effort to help others, and think it'll be a good bilble for Px00 users (only if it works )

Old 02-09-2004, 10:50 AM

csn0318 is on a distinguished road
Ohhh.....it really worth a try and million thanks to you to have a hard job.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:21 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
I think this is worth a sticky and maybe a note in my FAQ

P.S. 2.4.1 is not the latest PC Suite anymore, version 3 has arrived

Old 09-10-2004, 06:00 AM
Shunternz

Smile A solution to end all p900 connectivity woes

John

Appreciated your write up. Most helpful. One question. You sugest downloading the latest connectivity pack. But then you don't actually have astep to install it. Is there a reason for this? Whic would you synch the p900 with..the software that comes with the PC Suite or the one that comes wit hthe latest connectity pack (Iam synching to outlook). Thanks Shunternz

Old 20-10-2004, 10:59 AM

ChriSE is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Why Com10?

Thanks for your input. I tried most of this except the firewall bits as I'm in a corporate environment and my P910i is "not corporate standard" (Nokia 6310i is - and that tells you everything).

I am puzzled as to why you want to set the comms with the SyncStation to COM10? My defaults at COM4 and connects there. Is there something I have missed?

Also, have you ever had sync problems with Outlook calendar? I seem to have some items that PC Suite 3.0 for some reason doesn't like. "Failed to add an item" is the error message. SE support just tells me that there's something wrong with my Outlook entries, but neither my Palm m515 nor my iPaq ever had problems with this!

Also also, have you come across any third party software that does a better job at sync'ing Outlook and P910i? Any input appreciated.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:44 AM

peter.watson is on a distinguished road
This worked for me!

I had similar problems connecting - see different thread) and this approach worked for me. There seem to be few issues around all this so this might apply for some!

I have Windows XP, Trend Micro and could not get sync station to connect.

I logged this with SE and got a reply that said:

"With regards to your enquiry, we often find this error where there is a Vodafone 3G card also present on the system. If this is thhe case then both cannot be installed at the same time as they are incompatible.

If this is not the case then ensure all the COM ports are disabled in the Phone Monitor Options and temporarilty disable firewall and anti-virus software so that they do not block the connection."

I did not have Vodafone 3g card - tried the rest of the suggestions above it did not work!

However - I did have Vodaphone Connect Me which I had used for GPRS access using a P800. I removed this , removed all the SE stuff and followed their suggestions to the letter and all was fine for me.

Hope it helps someone else save time in the future.

Peter

Old 05-11-2004, 03:57 PM

Tink is on a distinguished road
Not for me, tho'.

Tried all of the above, in all possible combinations. Still no joy.

When the P910 is put on-station my Phone Connection Link icon wave moves to the right twice then hangs (on the left).

The Phone Connection Monitor reports 'Connected' on USB (Com5) but at the same time Sync software and My-P910 report 'Not Connected'. Grrrr.

Com5 in the device manager is OK and all the settings seem to correspond between phone and PC.

No reply from Sony to my e-plead, suprise surprise.

Any ideas anyone? If I can't solve this its the end of the road for my P910. Sync'ing is a vital function for me.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:31 PM

Tink is on a distinguished road
At last!

Two days spent removing XP Service Pack 2, and then following thegonzo's advice have at last done the trick.

My P910 seems to be back in business. Phew.

I've turned off Mr Gates' helpful update service permanently. Never again (well, until the next time)!

Old 16-11-2004, 10:43 PM

Spiff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
Tried all of the above, in all possible combinations. Still no joy.

When the P910 is put on-station my Phone Connection Link icon wave moves to the right twice then hangs (on the left).

The Phone Connection Monitor reports 'Connected' on USB (Com5) but at the same time Sync software and My-P910 report 'Not Connected'. Grrrr.

Com5 in the device manager is OK and all the settings seem to correspond between phone and PC.

No reply from Sony to my e-plead, suprise surprise.

Any ideas anyone? If I can't solve this its the end of the road for my P910. Sync'ing is a vital function for me.

Old 18-11-2004, 02:01 PM

cmwsadler is on a distinguished road
Question 50% Brilliant

My P910i connects perfectly to an ancient work Win98 computer but refuses to connect to my XP at home. I was impressed by this post and tried it on a tiny Fujitsu running XP with success. But after following the instructions, first using System Restore to roll back to a pre-phone status, still my main XP computer tells me I am connected but refuses to find the phone either through the USB DSS-25 or by Bluetooth, even though I have downloaded and installed the latest PC Suite (not the link in your post) and updtaed the phoine software. Bluetooth finds not only my P910i but also my wife's K700, says it connects but the sync does not work nor is there direct Explorer access.
SonyEriccson do not reply to queries and I am feeling extremely sorry that I passed ny Samsung to my 10 year old son.
Any possible further help?
Mike

Old 18-11-2004, 11:38 PM

estrela is on a distinguished road
Talking Estrela

Marvelous, wonderful, thank you so much. I was tearing my hair out .

it works it actually works great.

Your hours of work certainly helped me

Old 20-11-2004, 12:30 AM

cmwsadler is on a distinguished road
100% Brilliant

Well, suddenly the brain worked, if as seemed probable from the great instructions first posted, it was all a firewall problem then perhaps the fact that the three computers (1 Win98, 2 XP) were all using different firewalls was significant. Not being as effective as "thegonzo" and only syncing once a week to my home computer I would be happy with a basic work round.

I run Norton Internet Security, so I boot, switch off my broadband (in fact I even take out the cable since I can reach it from my seat), disable both the Norton (internet & anti-virus) and lo & behold suddenly the phone is detected. After use, re-enable, reconnect broadband.

A ramshackle solution perhaps but since I have proper access to my other two computers, which are more work inclined, I can live with this. So if anyone else has a failure using thegonzos very useful solution perhaps this will help, it's not elegant but does work.

Old 15-12-2004, 12:28 AM
Judders

Fantastic! Worked 100% for me Just wish I'd found it 3 hours ago. Mucho thanks!

Old 18-12-2004, 08:03 PM

pilotleston is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta737
I think this is worth a sticky and maybe a note in my FAQ

P.S. 2.4.1 is not the latest PC Suite anymore, version 3 has arrived

How can I know which version is my PC suite and where can I download version 3 (or newer)?

Thanks
Ads