All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-07-2004, 06:44 AM

scuzzo84 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Which Ngage should I get?

First of all is ngage a good idea for meeting this criteria, and if so which one to get?

1. Can have multiple alarms
2. Calendar
3. Notes
4. Descent Battery life - I make about 5 phone calls a day, and total day talk time is 20 mins.
5. Phone
6. Im not going to buy any games, Im going to just get the emulators.
7. Mono isnt really an issues to me, as long as I can hear it normally.

Im thinking the QD, it looks nicer too, and I think smaller and lighter.

General Questions
1. Whats the USB for in ngage?
2. Hows the battery life for ngage? and in QD?
3. Can you get a mp3 player for QD? Is MONO really bad sound?
4. Is ngage sidetalkin? Is QD?
5. Can you develop your own apps for the ngage and qd?
6. Does Ngage or QD have a vibrate feature?
7. Can you play video on both qd and Ngage?
8. Are there alot more apps that you can get besides the regular calculator or calendar?

What are the big key differences between the QD and ngage beside

1. No mp3 player in QD
2. NO USB in qd

THANKS!

Last edited by scuzzo84; 13-07-2004 at 07:07 AM.

Old 13-07-2004, 07:56 AM

JOBBIGER is on a distinguished road
You want the new one, think you've talked yourself into it anyway.

MP3's will sound crap on the QD.

The usb connection on the original just means you use the awful Nokia PC software, just get an MMC card reader..much..much better.
Both do video, the QD has better battery life, it is not sidetalkin and most series 60 apps will work on it.

Old 13-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Hi scuzzo84,

Welcome to the forum. Please use the search function, all your questions have been answered before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOBBIGER
The usb connection on the original just means you use the awful Nokia PC software, just get an MMC card reader..much..much better.
On the contrary. The USB connection on the original does NOT work with the god awful PC-Suite software. In fact it works just as a card reader, the N-Gage will show up as a removable drive on your PC and file transfer is on par with a card reader. Another huge advantage the original has over the QD IMO (in addition to being tri-band and having stereo MP3 playback and radio).
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson
Ads

Old 13-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Oh well, I'm in a good mood today...

"1. Can have multiple alarms"
-Yes with a 3rd party program like this.

"2. Calendar"
-Yes.

"3. Notes"
-Yes.

"4. Descent Battery life - I make about 5 phone calls a day, and total day talk time is 20 mins."
-Yes.

"5. Phone"
-Yes.

"6. Im not going to buy any games, Im going to just get the emulators."
-Ok, then you should try PicoDrive (Sege Megadrive emulator). Great emu, lots of great games.

"7. Mono isnt really an issues to me, as long as I can hear it normally."
-You can hear it of course, but there is a huge difference between mono and stereo sound when you are listening trough a headset.

"Im thinking the QD, it looks nicer too, and I think smaller and lighter."
-I think it looks much worse, but to each his own. The QD is smaller overall, but the original is thinner and lighter.

General Questions

"1. Whats the USB for in ngage?"
-File transfer.

"2. Hows the battery life for ngage? and in QD?"
-The QD has a higher capacity battery -1070mAh vs. 850mAh in the original.

"3. Can you get a mp3 player for QD? Is MONO really bad sound?"
-Yes, and yes MONO sounds bad trough a headset.

"4. Is ngage sidetalkin? Is QD?"
-Original yes, QD no.

"5. Can you develop your own apps for the ngage and qd?"
-Yes, in c++, OPL, VB or J2ME MIDP 1.0.

"6. Does Ngage or QD have a vibrate feature?"
-Yes, both.

"7. Can you play video on both qd and Ngage?"
-Yes.

"8. Are there alot more apps that you can get besides the regular calculator or calendar?"
-Oh yeah. About 1,000 various apps and games (not counting emulator games and all the Java apps/games).

What are the big key differences between the QD and ngage beside

"1. No mp3 player in QD
2. NO USB in qd"

-3.No tri-band in QD
4.No radio in QD.
5.Better battery life in QD.
6.Smaller overall size of QD.
7.No sidetalking in QD.
8.MMC hot-swap in QD.

I think I'll make this one sticky, so we'll hopefully avoid all these repetitive questions in the future.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Last edited by Raven; 13-07-2004 at 11:42 AM.

Old 13-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
4.N-Gage classic rear talking mod

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 14-07-2004, 12:36 PM

DarkDevil is on a distinguished road
I'd like to know a little more about the QD

1-what is the highest mp3 quality that can play? i don't care about mono, but what about the Hz and kbps?

2-can i watch movie with QD?

3-can i change the cover? (well, not that i care too much about it, but...)

thanks

Old 14-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

1.I believe it is 16khz 16bit
2.Yes,search the forum.
3.Yes.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 14-07-2004, 10:24 PM

DarkDevil is on a distinguished road
Thanks GhostDog, but I have to be sure about the quality. Can anyone tell me about it?

Old 15-07-2004, 01:55 AM

wins is on a distinguished road
i believe the
qd is much better:

first, the mp3 of the original n-gage conflicts with the gaming sofware, so if you use them simultaneously (e.g. while gaming some one call u and ur using a mp3 for ur ringing tone) eventually it will corruptyour n-gage software.

suggestion: on the market, the original n-gage costs more about $100 differential to the qd. it might be wiser if you buy a seperate mp3 player that cost $90 and above. imagine, you dont have to buy a seperate mmc for mp3.

secondly, the usb of the n-gage can damage your mmc. like what happened to me.
thats why they remove the usb interface from the qd

lastly, i hate the akward manner u answer or make a call. and the n-gage 1 has a smooth surface which makes it prone to slip. not like the qd that has a rubber for a good grip of the phone.

Old 15-07-2004, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wins
first, the mp3 of the original n-gage conflicts with the gaming sofware, so if you use them simultaneously (e.g. while gaming some one call u and ur using a mp3 for ur ringing tone) eventually it will corruptyour n-gage software.
Never had such problems, nor have I heard of anyone who have.

Quote:
suggestion: on the market, the original n-gage costs more about $100 differential to the qd. it might be wiser if you buy a seperate mp3 player that cost $90 and above. imagine, you dont have to buy a seperate mmc for mp3.
I don't know where you live, but in my country the original N-Gage is still considerably cheaper than the QD.

Quote:
secondly, the usb of the n-gage can damage your mmc. like what happened to me.
thats why they remove the usb interface from the qd
Again, I've never had any such problems. The USB connection has worked flawlessly for me every single time. It has proved to be a much faster and easier set up to connect the N-Gage to my laptop than any other device I've had. Too bad it only recognizes the MMC and not the whole device. The reason they removed the USB connector in the QD is most likely to cut down on the cost. Please stop making things up.

Quote:
lastly, i hate the akward manner u answer or make a call. and the n-gage 1 has a smooth surface which makes it prone to slip. not like the qd that has a rubber for a good grip of the phone.
Like GhostDog mentioned if side-talking bothers you, use the rear-talking mod (or a BT headset or the supplied one). And once again, I've never had a problem with the phone slipping out of my hands neither. But on the QD I've heard people complain about their thumb slipping off the navigation pad because it doesn't have those elevated edges the original has.

Old 15-07-2004, 10:48 AM

FJ0372 is on a distinguished road
I am not against You but.........

I agree that the USB does damage your MMC (it has happened to me) but this only happens when the USB is improperly disconnected. (You have to let the pc know you are disconnecting the USB by clicking on "SAFELY REMOVE etc etc" so in a way Raven is right and wrong.

Old 15-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ0372
I agree that the USB does damage your MMC (it has happened to me) but this only happens when the USB is improperly disconnected. (You have to let the pc know you are disconnecting the USB by clicking on "SAFELY REMOVE etc etc" so in a way Raven is right and wrong.
Yeah,right

Old 15-07-2004, 06:12 PM

acinonyxjubatus is on a distinguished road
Hey...

Hi i just didn't want to make a new topic because of this. i want to play games (free) downloaded from internet (n-gage games). Is there a security system for that on n-gage qd? i dont wanna give money to that games...

and also they say that its so hard to play games on qd (because of the pad not the rocker key) is that true?

Old 15-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acinonyxjubatus
Hi i just didn't want to make a new topic because of this. i want to play games (free) downloaded from internet (n-gage games). Is there a security system for that on n-gage qd? i dont wanna give money to that games...
So you want to steal someones hard work in stead? This is not a place that supports illegal activity. Consider this a warning, if you continue on this route you will be banned from the forum.

Old 16-07-2004, 01:37 AM

wins is on a distinguished road
Smile

i stand corrected!!
my apologies for posting something you think is misinformation. i also thank you for correcting some of my threads. however, the reason i posted those things is because i experienced it first hand and to make conclusions that i thinkis considerably logical is my prerogative. and its is also healthy forthis forum that someone corrects someone.

i a female,24 years old,working as a CPA in singapore and other parts of asia.

"to whom much is given, much is expected"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducky.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1517