All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
SDK now available for free download

The Sony Ericsson P800 UIQ SDK is now available for free download from the mobility world website here. But it seems that the emulator will only be able to run C++ applications when the Code Warrior software is also present.

Details from the website:
Use the UIQ SDK to build applications for the Sony Ericsson P800/P802 phones. The SDK contains library files, documentation, sample code, tools and utilities for building P800 applications in C++ and for creating installation files of C++ and Personal Java applications. It also includes a UIQ emulator, which requires CodeWarrior Development Studio for Symbian OS to run C++ applications.

The download is quite hefty too. Altogether it is 320 MB, but it is broken down into parts.

There's also an interesting aside included in the notes section whi is quoted below:
Notes: Previously Symbian SDK’s have required Microsoft’s Visual C++ 6.0, but it is a discontinued product and is no longer available for purchase from Microsoft. It has been replaced by Microsoft Visual C++ .Net. As of Symbian OS version 7, Symbian’s choice for the Symbian OS and Symbian- supported devices is Metrowerks CodeWarrior.

This means that Symbian has moved away from using Microsoft development tools, which always was slightly strange. It also menas that the purchase of Code Warrior becomes much more justifiable given that it will be used for future Symbian SDKs. Perhaps the furore surrounding the non free SDK's was a bit over the top, it does however remain the fact that developers and the general public could have had things made much clearer to them.

Old 25-09-2002, 02:02 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
You think they'll update the current sdk's to codewarrior?

Old 25-09-2002, 02:16 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Can anyone confirm the price of "Codewarrior?" Sounds like they're still resisting the idea of a basic C++ compiler on text files. SwitchBlade ain;t gonna be happy...
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 25-09-2002, 02:41 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
Indeed, I don't get why they don't want to keep it simple.

Old 25-09-2002, 06:20 PM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
I was quite interested in the borland C++ SDK that is mentioned here.

http://www.borland.com/news/press_releases/2002/05_20_02_borland_previews_on_symbian.html

Symbian really need to get there act together and come up with a consistant and practicle way for developers to write programs for the whole range of symbian devices. The current situation is a joke. There is no way I would be willing to fork out large sums of money when all I get in return is the ability to develop for a single Symbian device.

Anyway, I think this has settled it for me. I'm not going to bother looking into development for the Symbian platform until there is a more practicle and generic solution.

Don't worry though, Symbian have not lost out on much.

I'll probably look into Palm development for now. There seems to be an endless supply of developers, so it can't be that difficult.

Zuber

Old 26-09-2002, 02:15 AM

There will be a way to link the compiler of UIQ SDK with VS6

I think there will be a way of linking the UIQ with Visual Studio6.
I would just waited for someone for provide the patch or I will find the way myself if I ve got free time after I ve completed my project.

I hope programmers from Symbian can provide the patch for us.
Ads

Old 26-09-2002, 11:49 AM

possan is on a distinguished road
isnt the compiler for the arm thumb target still gcc? why not use mingw or cygnus gcc port to build for win32 too?

Old 07-02-2006, 10:50 AM
jyoti rajput

sdk nokia series 60 download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
The Sony Ericsson P800 UIQ SDK is now available for free download from the mobility world website here. But it seems that the emulator will only be able to run C++ applications when the Code Warrior software is also present.

Details from the website:
Use the UIQ SDK to build applications for the Sony Ericsson P800/P802 phones. The SDK contains library files, documentation, sample code, tools and utilities for building P800 applications in C++ and for creating installation files of C++ and Personal Java applications. It also includes a UIQ emulator, which requires CodeWarrior Development Studio for Symbian OS to run C++ applications.

The download is quite hefty too. Altogether it is 320 MB, but it is broken down into parts.

There's also an interesting aside included in the notes section whi is quoted below:
Notes: Previously Symbian SDK’s have required Microsoft’s Visual C++ 6.0, but it is a discontinued product and is no longer available for purchase from Microsoft. It has been replaced by Microsoft Visual C++ .Net. As of Symbian OS version 7, Symbian’s choice for the Symbian OS and Symbian- supported devices is Metrowerks CodeWarrior.

This means that Symbian has moved away from using Microsoft development tools, which always was slightly strange. It also menas that the purchase of Code Warrior becomes much more justifiable given that it will be used for future Symbian SDKs. Perhaps the furore surrounding the non free SDK's was a bit over the top, it does however remain the fact that developers and the general public could have had things made much clearer to them.
download sdk for nokia series 60 mobile phones

Old 24-10-2007, 02:23 PM

DeathFace is on a distinguished road
dfgdfgds

thanksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss