All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-06-2004, 02:41 PM
hartster

Calendar entries from PC disappearing on P900

My calendar entries that i have synched to my P900 from my PC (Outlook 2003) are disappearing for no apparent reason.

I received my phone on Tuesday and its happened twice since. Very bizarre. I have to re-sync over ALL my calendar entries, which is very annoying.

Any similar expericnces; any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 18-06-2004, 03:14 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid this is fairly common when synching with Outlook. I take it the items have disappeared when you have restarted the phone? There doesn't seem to be any way around it (other than to use a decent PIM, such as Lotus Organiser!). Thankfully, the P900 doesn't need rebooting that often so it happens quite rarely once you're up and running. It seems to be a problem with the way the synch software communicates with Outlook!

Despite all the hoo-har about lack of bluetooth handsfree support (apparantly, some people can't use the phone with the in-built handsfree units on their £50000 cars - my heart bleeds for them) and the fact that catagories don't synch (not a major issue for me, but I can understand why it's annoying), this problem seems, to me, to be by far and away the most important bug in the P900 and yet it hardly gets a mention.

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 18-06-2004, 05:48 PM

nosibor is on a distinguished road
You have my sympathy - I know first hand how frustrating this is (see my post 'lost agenda entries' on 25-05-2004, 02:44 PM ).

I disagree with Bassey as to the cause (although I do appreciate the response). Synching with Outlook is undoubtedly fraught with difficulties and seemed a likely candidate. However, I still get this problem even though I gave up synching long ago.

I am now convinced it is something to do with having two copies of agenda (amongst others... I assume you have been losing todo entries as well?), one in \documents\agenda and the other in \startup. I don't know what triggers the phone to copy the files to \startup (as they are sometimes out of date) nor what governs which file agenda opens with.

I am going to report this to SE support.

Old 23-06-2004, 11:26 AM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
Outlook routinely deletes repeating entries from the phone, I have that set to phone updates PC only, and this seems to fix it.

I've also noticed that there are two copies of the Agenda file on the P900; one in the data area, and one in the startup. It seems that if the calendar is not properly closed before a reboot, you can lose recently entered events.

Generally I use the task manager in Handy Day to force close the calendar before powering down the phone, and this seems to prevent data loss.

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 24-06-2004, 12:11 PM

DAN55 is on a distinguished road
this sounds bad! as someone who is considering getting a 900, and who uses the calendar a lot - im now scared! :(

does the phone need rebooting after synching? i virtually never boot my current phone. is it a smartphone thang?!

i would be majorly p*ssed off if my phone kept deleting stuff

Old 24-06-2004, 02:14 PM

The only reason my P900 ever gets turned off is if I'm going out, for example to the pub (like tonight to watch England V Portugal - come on England!). Then, rather than carry the slightly bulky P900, I switch it off, and swap the SIM card into an old T68. The T68 is much more comfortable to carry in my trouser pocket and it doesn't matter if I lose or break it when drunk!

I think it's crashed and needed a reboot maybe four times and I've had it since before Christmas! Windows it ain't!

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Old 24-06-2004, 03:33 PM

thanks - did it loose calendar info when it crashed?

Old 24-06-2004, 03:37 PM

I honestly can't remember - it happens too infrequently. The main occasions I've noticed it have been when I've switched over to the T68. So I'll synch it at work last thing on a Friday with a load of calendar reminders and notes of stuff to do over the weekend. Switch over to the T68 to go down the pub on Friday night. Restart it on Saturday morning and the stuff I need for the weekend has gone. Major pain in the butt.

Of course, now I know that it does that I just e-mail my calendar file home so I can re-synch with the home PC to get it all back again. But I shouldn't have to!

Old 24-06-2004, 03:51 PM

ta Bassey.

would you recommend it still though? i was looking at the sendo x, but just found out that series 60 phones dont handle reminders very well. they just disappear after 2 mins!!
atleast the UIQ ones remain on the screen till you action them.

do you keep the keypad on?

ta

Old 25-06-2004, 08:44 AM

Definitely. But you do have to get used to it's quirks. And yes, I do keep the keypad on. I didn't bother with the P800 (useless keypad) but it is useful with the P900.

Old 22-09-2004, 11:15 PM
houly

Did you get anywhere with this

What you say sounds reasonable and seems to fit my problems. It sounds like the synch to outlook creates some sort of temporary version of the agenda - which you then use until you turn off the machine. Then when you turn it off it either deletes the temporary entries or reverts to the old version - very frustrating.

The only thing I can think of doing is ensuring you turn the machine off immediately after a synch - then restart so that you can be sure your new entries won't get lost.

I only synch very occassionally so is not so much of a headache for me.

Did you have any luck with reporting it to SE or solving it some other way.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosibor

I am now convinced it is something to do with having two copies of agenda (amongst others... I assume you have been losing todo entries as well?), one in \documents\agenda and the other in \startup. I don't know what triggers the phone to copy the files to \startup (as they are sometimes out of date) nor what governs which file agenda opens with.

I am going to report this to SE support.

Old 23-09-2004, 09:55 AM

nosibor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by houly
Did you have any luck with reporting it to SE or solving it some other way.

Peter
No. SE just suggested updating the firmware which didn't solve the problem. But they did concede that this is a known problem.

Orange replaced the phone for me, but same problem.

As I said before, I no longer synch with my PC but the problem was still there. Somehow, the /startup version of files was being opened instead of the proper version and any entries I had made were lost. Aaargh! I missed three meetings (two with the same person!) before getting a paper diary (a present from said person) with a pencil in the spine (you remember the type?) and duplicating everything. Brilliant invention, the pencil.

I then suspected that the problem was happening during backup (because of the restart). So I stopped backing up and vowed never to switch off the phone. This worked for about two months, but yesterday I think the phone got a bit tired and decided to stop the CICs JotPro so I can't enter any more data! (in any app). Luckily I still have my paper diary, so I can jot down appointments.

It seems the phone is telling me that it wants a re-boot to rest its weary memory. I know the feeling and I don't blame the poor thing.

So I'm trying to work out how to take 'manual' backups of key files (how to close contacts app anyone?) before turning it off to give it forty winks.

btw, I had the moral dilemma about whether to switch off the P900 on flights (about 20 times since vowing never to switch it off) but since reading in the Economist that it won't crash the plane (but might give phone networks a problem) I decided just to put it in silent mode (flight mode causes the same loss of data problem as switching off... now there's an interesting line of enquiry for SE if they could be bothered to face up to this KILLER BUG!)

Why do I persevere with this? I ask myself. I really don't know.
Ads

Old 23-09-2004, 10:28 AM

> Why do I persevere with this? I ask myself. I really don't know

Nope me neither. Much as I love my P900, I'm getting rid of it soon purely because of SE's complete lack of support for the synch software. I think two years is long enough for them to have done something about this!

Old 23-09-2004, 12:37 PM

PeteASJP is on a distinguished road
Have you updated the sync software also? I feel (but don't know really) that the missing appointments stopped missing after updating the synch software. I suspect the phone is not the one to blame here, but the synch software. Perhaps? Complicated bastards, these smartphones...

Old 23-09-2004, 01:38 PM

I have both the very latest firmware and version 3 of the synch sofwtare but still loose calendar entries whenever the phone is turned off and on. And it seems to be whatever was added to the phone since the last synch (though I might be wrong).