All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Anonymouse

Talking Some simple, newbish questions about NGage!

Hey all, I am totally new to this, just got my NGage TODAY, and I'm stoked to see all the possibilities of this thing!

I had that common issue with not understanding why I couldn't use the PC suite software, which I finally understood after arriving at these forums! However, I have a few other questions, probably very simple to answer:

1.) Exactly how much FREE built-in memory does the NGage have?

2.) What exactly is the point of having the little white T-Mobile chip installed in the NGage? I know it's necessary to use the unit, but what is it FOR, really?

3.) Is it possible to connect to the internet via a Wireless Router in my home with the NGage, and do things like browse the web, or check email?

4.) How exactly do I set the NGage up to be used as a phone? I would assume I need a T-Mobile cell phone account and everything?

5.) How do I change the background on the NGage?! Mine is that swirly red-and-yellow one, but I can't figure out how to set any of the other images as the background!

Thanks all!

Old 15-06-2004, 06:18 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
1) You have a total of 4mb of STORAGE (roughly 3.4mb free after the default stuff is in place) and 16mb of RAM for program execution

2) It's a SIM card - and tells the network who you are and who to bill for calls

3) Yes it's possible. Search the forum for the3 answer

4) Yes, call up T-NMobile and I'm sure they'll take some money from you

5) It's in SETTINGS DEVICE STANDBY BACKGROUND-IMAGE
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 15-06-2004, 09:27 AM

blindpilot is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan
1) You have a total of 4mb of STORAGE (roughly 3.4mb free after the default stuff is in place) and 16mb of RAM for program execution

2) It's a SIM card - and tells the network who you are and who to bill for calls

3) Yes it's possible. Search the forum for the3 answer

4) Yes, call up T-NMobile and I'm sure they'll take some money from you

5) It's in SETTINGS DEVICE STANDBY BACKGROUND-IMAGE

bout #3 i search the forum alredy but cant find anwser please more info :P

Old 15-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Anonymouse

Thanks a ton!

Old 16-06-2004, 05:47 PM

spooky67 is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth Probs

I Bought A Belkin Usb Bluetooth Unit For My Computer And Installed It Ok, My Problem Began When I Tried To Pair It, My N-gage As For A Number Code For My Computer, I Dont Use A Number Code For My Computer And When I Tried To Use My Computer To Connect To My N-gage It Ask For A Code Too! Pls Help Me

Old 18-06-2004, 08:18 AM
onzey

Hi

New to this forum (having just got n-gage yesterday) and have done searches and like blindpilot can't find answer to question 3 on these forums. I have found information at the en-gaged site on "Pairing with a PC" and "Internet via Bluetooth" so is this is how it is done? (I assume there is no way to somehow connect direct through my wireless router i.e. with PC switched off).

Thanks for any advice.

Old 18-06-2004, 01:34 PM

DaiMonde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky67
I Bought A Belkin Usb Bluetooth Unit For My Computer And Installed It Ok, My Problem Began When I Tried To Pair It, My N-gage As For A Number Code For My Computer, I Dont Use A Number Code For My Computer And When I Tried To Use My Computer To Connect To My N-gage It Ask For A Code Too! Pls Help Me
Dunno if this is standard but i was asked for a code when i paired my PC and N-Gage, knowing i didnt have one i just made one up, same one for both devices to pair it up, jobs a good un.

Old 25-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Naruto Owns989

I got a question

I want N-Gage, but I dont think Ill use the phone feature (too poor to pay for it) do I need a cell phone plan in order to use N-Gage or can I just buy the game deck to play games? I dont have a job yet, so I cant pay for the monthly fees for a cell phone, so this is detirmining whether I get an N-Gage or not!

Old 26-07-2004, 01:56 PM

Randomrage is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruto Owns989
I want N-Gage, but I dont think Ill use the phone feature (too poor to pay for it) do I need a cell phone plan in order to use N-Gage or can I just buy the game deck to play games? I dont have a job yet, so I cant pay for the monthly fees for a cell phone, so this is detirmining whether I get an N-Gage or not!

Yes, you can use the deck without cellular activation. You can use the Bluetooth to share your home internet if you want to get online or access the Arena. I dont plan on activating mine either, since I have already sold my soul to a CDMA celluar company.

AFAIK, this is the only mobile entertainment device on the market for less than $200. Very much worth the price.

Old 27-07-2004, 06:36 PM
NarutoOwns989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomrage
Yes, you can use the deck without cellular activation. You can use the Bluetooth to share your home internet if you want to get online or access the Arena. I dont plan on activating mine either, since I have already sold my soul to a CDMA celluar company.

AFAIK, this is the only mobile entertainment device on the market for less than $200. Very much worth the price.
So the QD (thats the one thats 200 right?) comes with a dummy SIM card or somthing?
Ads

Old 27-07-2004, 08:44 PM

Randomrage is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoOwns989
So the QD (thats the one thats 200 right?) comes with a dummy SIM card or somthing?
Yep, it does. If you buy one from a retail store (ie Gamestop, EBGames), it will be locked to T-Mobile, and will have a T-Mobile stamped SIM in the box. If you buy from Cingular or T-Mobile directly, of course it will be locked to their service. None of this matters to us, since we wont be using the phone function anyway.

Long story short, yes, buy it, have fun.

Old 28-07-2004, 05:18 AM
NarutoOwns989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomrage
Yep, it does. If you buy one from a retail store (ie Gamestop, EBGames), it will be locked to T-Mobile, and will have a T-Mobile stamped SIM in the box. If you buy from Cingular or T-Mobile directly, of course it will be locked to their service. None of this matters to us, since we wont be using the phone function anyway.

Long story short, yes, buy it, have fun.
Sweet! Definatly getting one then. I have a few more questions though. Does the QD come with any built in PDA like software, games, etc? How bout memory? (Sorry I must be really annoying...)

Old 23-09-2004, 09:58 PM
qd helper

Thumbs up master

Quote:
Sweet! Definatly getting one then. I have a few more questions though. Does the QD come with any built in PDA like software, games, etc? How bout memory? (Sorry I must be really annoying...)

yes it is a symbian os phone which is series 60 u can get radio and mp3 player from third party sites so the radio and the mp3 are not gone u can still get them and get opera if u are going to go online as in the net as it is the proper net like a home computer sweet!

Old 23-09-2004, 10:02 PM
qd helper

Lightbulb master

Quote:

for the memory u have to get mmc which can go as big as 1gb but some shops give u 32 mmc for free only in the uk so enjoy and do check out the arena my username is fire_warrior

Old 23-09-2004, 10:23 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by qd helper
yes it is a symbian os phone which is series 60 u can get radio and mp3 player from third party sites so the radio and the mp3 are not gone u can still get them and get opera if u are going to go online as in the net as it is the proper net like a home computer sweet!
There are no Third party Radio applications, except for maybe internet radio.