All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-06-2004, 08:57 AM

JasonT is on a distinguished road
Phone Turning Itself Off

Ok, the title is a bit misleading because I kinda caught what my phone was doing and searched before posting.

Little bit of history:
When I bought my tmobile nokia it didn't have the screen sticker on it and the battery looked frayed around the edges near the connector. It was a dog w/ bluetooth and they exchanged it four days later with no hassle. Stupidly I kept the battery and reloaded my phone backup to the new phone.

Recently: My phone has been turning itself off randomly and fexplorer reports a different battery charge than the phone thinks it has. It also throws static through the headset when it's in my pocket and I move at all (regardless of where I am).

Just now: My phone beep and put up a message 'dos app closed' or 'dns app closed' (I had started my phone and not used it for over 8 hours when this happened. No connections only bluetooth active and nothing ever connected to it. The backlight wouldn't work at all so I switched it off. It would NOT turn on 4 times when I pressed the power button. I unplugged it then tried it, then plugged it in and tried it, then finally had to take the battery out and then it started up.

T-mobile said they would send me out a new phone based on other issues (I somehow worked around), but I REALLY DON'T WANT a new IMEI number.

I had to get by phone relicensed once already for software and I don't know if I can get it done again.

Any ideas on what's happening here? They wouldn't send me a new battery.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by JasonT; 05-06-2004 at 09:00 AM. Reason: cause I'm slower than my phone starting up

Old 05-06-2004, 12:35 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
How about just buying a new battery?

Old 05-06-2004, 10:54 PM
ZeBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
How about just buying a new battery?
They're about 5 on ebay
Ads

Old 06-06-2004, 05:12 AM

JasonT is on a distinguished road
solved the bat part for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeBadger
They're about 5 on ebay
I made another 1 hours call and they're sending me a new battery. According to T-mobile, they warranty the battery for 90 days and any replacement battery they send you carries the ORIGINAL warranty, so if you need one ten days after you bought your phone you have a 80 day warranty. Something's wrong there w/ a product w/ a 1 year manufacturers warranty. Usually a new replacement part carries a full warranty. I think they're being a bit dodgy about the laws, but whatever.

The 'app dos closed' or 'app dns closed' is still and issue. I'm hoping the battery fixes this. Anyone know if the power manager is on the battery or in the phone?
thanks-j

Old 06-06-2004, 09:21 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonT
The 'app dos closed' or 'app dns closed' is still and issue. I'm hoping the battery fixes this.
I doubt it. Not likely to be a battery problem.