All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-05-2004, 03:00 AM
Trinitron

HELP NEEDED! : 3gp file received as an email attachement

Help needed, I have received a 3gp movie clip as an email attachement in my nokia 6600 and when I try to open the attachement, I get "UNABLE TO OPEN OBJECT TYPE NOT SUPPORTED". The file isn't corrupt as I have forwarded it to my pc and its a valid 3gp movie.

The movie is from a friend in Japan so it has to be emailed as MMS doesnt seem to work.

Is there anyway of getting the attachement saved onto my phone or card memory. I'm not a newbie so I know that these options aren't visibly available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trin.

Old 30-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Job

You can xfer it back to your phone via bluetooth/infrared or memory card reader.

If you don't have any of these I recommend getting one, memory card reader being the fastest.

The 6600 can be funny with video files, as usual these numbnuts couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.

Every goddam new Nokia that comes out has some problem with some service.

It may have the .3gp extension but there are 2 types h263 and mp4 (yes they did it, the dickweeds)

WAS IT TOO DIFFICULT TO MAKE JUST ONE FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Realplayer SHOULD handle both, but his encoder ,possibly his I-Mode phone I'm guessing. may be slightly different.

PC handles it but phone can't (you get what I mean).

Old 30-05-2004, 10:52 PM
trinitron

Thanks for the reply.

Hiya,
Yes I think you are correct, I beamed the attachment to my pda and then beamed it back (what a joke right?!) but it still wouldn't play. So I do assume that the Japanese format of .3gp is different eventhough it does work with quicktime on my pc.

Oh well, I guess its another example of none standardisation in the IT world. Reminds me of the DVD R + - nonsense.

I guess we'll all be buying more expensive kit next year as we'll want our phone to be multi format.

Clever way of keeping prices up really arent they?

Trin

Old 31-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
There are no different .3GP formats.

Quote:
The MPEG-4 standard defines (amongst other things) file formats called "ISO base media format" and "MP4 file format". ISO base media format is based on Apple's QuickTime file format and is used as a basis for different file formats (e.g. MP4, 3GP, JPEG2000). Both MP4 and 3GP are derived from the same format (ISO base media file format) and thus are very similar in nature. Generally a program that can read MP4 can read 3GP (you might need to rename the extension if the program doesn't recognize it). The main difference between MP4 and 3GP files is in the content they store.

The MPEG-4 standard defines a set of codecs that can be used for Audio and Video. 3GPP (3rd generation partnership project) defined a standard called "PSS" (Packet Switched Streaming) that is a recommended standard for mobile audio and video. The "problem" was that they needed to use codecs that are *not* defined in MPEG-4 Standard (namely the AMR speech codec), and therefore they wanted to create a container that would be as close to MP4 as possible with certain limitations and certain improvements.

The 3GP is a container specified in the 3GPP PSS standard and typically it contains AMR-NB audio and H.263 video. 3GP container can contain at maximum one rectangular video object and at maximum one audio object. An MPEG-4 decoder can decode H.263 video, but it might not be able to decode AMR audio. If you rename a 3GP file to MP4 and try to play it with an MPEG-4 player the chances are that you will only get the video and not audio.

Simply put: 3GP file is a simplified MP4 file that can contain codecs that are not specified in the MPEG-4 standard.
http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopi...hlight=3gp+mp4

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Last edited by GhostDog; 31-05-2004 at 01:20 PM.

Old 31-05-2004, 02:14 PM

JasonT is on a distinguished road
If you look at the extension (I've listed the quicktime one's) you may notice that there are different 'compatibilities' of 3gpp. The 3GPP .3gp and 3GPP (Mobile MP4) .3gp are different implementations. While we could consider 3GPP a standard, the authoring applications treat the content differently without letting the user know what the file contains by file extension. Your best bet is to try Quicktime on your computer or playing it w/ helix on your phone (helix doesn't support AAC audio yet so that may be an issue.)

Apple's Current Quicktime Implementation Supports The Following

.3gp
3GPP (Nokia Compatible)
Video: MPEG-4, H.263
Audio: (AMR-NB) (AAC-LC)
Text
Streaming
DRM

.3g2
3GPP2 (CDMA2000)
Audio: (AMR-NB) (QCELP) (AAC-LC)
Text
Streaming
DRM

.3gp
3GPP (Mobile MP4) (NTT DoCoMo 3GPP handsets)
Text
Streaming
DRM

.3g2
3GPP2 (EZmovie) (KDDI)
Text
Streaming
DRM

.amc
AMC
Video: MPEG-4
Audio: QCELP
Text
Streaming
DRM

Old 31-05-2004, 02:45 PM

I'm guessing it's in this format

.3gp
3GPP (Mobile MP4) (NTT DoCoMo 3GPP handsets)
Text
Streaming
DRM

If you need you can register, pm me, and I'll try to convert it for you if you haven't solved it yet.

Old 31-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Job

As you can see from the above 'STANDARD MOBILE VIDEO FORMATS'

the whole thing is a non starter, they want to make money out of it, but have no clue what they are doing.

I's confusing to someone with knowledge of the formats, the laymen will just go WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Japanese had the right idea, the mobile companies pressured the phone manufacturers for STANDARDS, not cheapness.

Old 31-05-2004, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job
As you can see from the above 'STANDARD MOBILE VIDEO FORMATS'

the whole thing is a non starter, they want to make money out of it, but have no clue what they are doing.

I's confusing to someone with knowledge of the formats, the laymen will just go WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Japanese had the right idea, the mobile companies pressured the phone manufacturers for STANDARDS, not cheapness.
I'd put it down to emerging technology.

Does the Japanese phone play the standard 3gp format?
I don't know do you?

Anyways...I did some testing

Real won't play 3gp w/ aac audio for me. Helix says 'missing component' (and I know it doesn't have aac.

Helix plays only the amr from the mobile MP4 file Real say Unable to play file.

If it's AAC real plays the video only

(granted, this is using quicktime pro so it definately has all kinds of stocking stuffers in the header)

Best I can get is 3gp video w/ amr (unfortunately qt pro ONLY supports AMR-NB)

Old 31-05-2004, 03:50 PM

Video Recorder Format

If anyone was wondering, the bundled Video Recorder is

Standard 3gp
Video: H.263 (States millions of colors probably an error)
AMR-NB 8000HZ Mono
Ads

Old 03-06-2004, 04:13 PM
gromit77

When I am converting Videos with Quicktime into 3GPP, with AMR it is only possible at 12 kbps and 8 kHz. None if these parameters can be changed (in contrast to AAC which does not run on the 6600). Is it somehow possible to alter at least the sample frequency? For music 8 kHz is just horrible.

Thanks for any ideas.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit77
When I am converting Videos with Quicktime into 3GPP, with AMR it is only possible at 12 kbps and 8 kHz. None if these parameters can be changed (in contrast to AAC which does not run on the 6600). Is it somehow possible to alter at least the sample frequency? For music 8 kHz is just horrible.

Thanks for any ideas.
I can convert w/ all the available AMR_NB bitrates w/ either video format set. I'm using the latest QT Pro on 10.2.8, what version/sw/os are you running? You may need to update your quicktime components (make sure you install all the custom updates).