All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-05-2004, 03:28 PM

death_entry is on a distinguished road
Deaths Ultimate 6600 Guide If You Wanted To Know It, Ive Answred It

Ok this is my guide on the Nokia 6600 because i think i know almost everything.

Note: I am using the oringal firmware that came with my phone i see no reason to upgreade.

First i will start by listing the 2 limitations of the 6600, voice recorder and video recodring.

Unlimited sound recorder - Dictaphone
Unlimited Video recorder - Eti Camcorder pro 2004

You must turn sound off to use etic pro with Nokia 6600

MP3 PLAYERS

I have used all the mp3 players out and i mean all of them. The best mp3 player is;

Mp3 Player. This is the best out of all of them, it scans your phone for the mp3 so it can play from any location on your phone. It has the smallest footprint, no other mp3 player has a smaller installation size. It will play all of the mp3's in the list when one has finished it will play the next. It has equilizer settings, it supports bluetooth headset, apparently its the only player to support STEREO sound.

Most important feature, it uses the least amount of phone RAM, so you can play your mp3 and even play goboy with no probs.

Ebook reader with Mp3 support - This player has the best quality as far as Im aware, however it has a huge installation size and can only play one song at a time this is done by opening the file.

Getting Small MP3's on your phone around 1mb per song instead of 3mb

And to who asked in the froum - YOU CANT COMPRESS MP3'S THEY ARE ALREADY COMPRESSED.

Download WHITE TIGER STUDIO for pc, im using version 3 (or is it 4 i dont know) because I think the current version 5 sucks.

Now uncompress your mp3 to a wav file then compress the wav file back to mp3 format with the follwing settings.

Ok you need to be looking at the khz value not the bitrate.

for loudspeaker use 22,000khz (40kbit lowest bit rate on 22k) and mono since you only have one speaker so stereo is pointless. You will get typically 1mb files. I see no point using anything higher because the loudpseaker is bad quality so having a good quality mp3 will only waste space.

for headphone use - use 44,000khz and the lowest bit rate for 44khz, you cant really tell that much between the highest and lowest bitrates on a cell phone (id
imagine) if your using a BT headset then use mono (coz you have only thing in your ear) and use stereo if your using headphones!

EMULATORS

GOBOY - gbc emulator, very good apparently supports zipped files.

Gamephone Advance - just like goboy but better for phone reason see below

Picodrive - AHA!!! A megadrive emulator this is freeware as far as I know, it is still in early development but it runs games very smooth actually smoother then my PC. Currently has no sound support and the changing the keys is weird, delete the ini file in its root folder if you screw em up. - This is proof that nokia 6600 can run SNES games!!! Ur megadrive is a 16bit machine so it should be able to run snes too, take that GBA

Gamephone advance has sound, although not great it has sound none the less, goboy+ which i have installed still has no sound on the 6600, it might just be me, but i reckon that the loud speaker isnt supported as a speaker, but like i said it might just be me. NOTE: Gamephone advance doesnt play gameboy advance game is a marketting trick with the emu even though it has a gba icon.

IMAGINING APPS

FlexiCam - offers 25x zoom which looks rubbish when you are taking the picture but once you take it it come out looking really nice. Also supports night mode with zoom on, similar products support 25x zoom but not night mode too. Also has a small window that displays the full un zoomed picture which is useful when at high zoooms as you can tell what you're pointing ur camera at.

Photofusion - Allows you to take unlimited panaroma shots vertical and horizontal, you need to have a good hand to do this and use alot of light, since it takes the image and superimposes the last part for you to find where to stitch the next image too.

Photoactue - Allows you to take 1MP resolution pics with your phone. It works by taking 4 images at once and then doing something interesting to them. Each unproccesed image uses 500kb to store, whilst processing the image you need to have around 4mbs of phone space, i think it took 5mins to process the image.

Facewrapper - great for taking the pi$$ out of your mates, you take a pic and it detects their face automaticlly and then morphs it into very funny things.. USAGE. pick your victim take a pic and then show everyone else but not him and your victim will be wondering whats so funny.

SYSTEM TOOLS

Fxplorer - freeware. this is better then seleq as seleq has no copy functions. Fxplorer allows you to see the file structure of your phone. Be careful what you do you can really screw your phone up with this. MUST HAVE

Stacker- this is another must have program. It compresses installed programs and decompresses them automaticly on use. dont try and compress ngage games you'll regret it. Also has the ability to shut down a hung program.. all those dodgy java games

Doris Browser - Has a scarey name but is better then opera. Opera doesnt allow you to enter text into text fields so google is useless to you. This is the fastest browser of the two I think.

Total IR - Allows you to use your phone as a remote control for tvs dvds vcrs yes it works i had alot of fun pi$$in about with my mates tv.. doesnt work on all tv types.

erecorder - another dictaphone program looks quite nice but never use it since i use dictaphone which can be hidden and then recording starts when a hotkey is pressed.

RS60 (remote s60 i think) This sends the display on your phone to your PC, whatever is seen on your phone is sent to your PC

Softcam - This usess whatever within the box on ur PC's screen as a cam, seems to work on msn messenger and not yahoo.

You can use the above to software to use ur phone as a webcam. I suggest you use torch to leave the light on and prevent the screensaver coming on. USAGE start remote S60 on your pc then on your phone, as the pc listens for the phone, then place softcams box over the screen for remote s60

PCftp Bridge - The greatest program ever made for your phone. When you use your phone with PC suite using BT or IR (make a serial connection) it allows you to access your phone through FTP! You can access everything (cept trial version dont allow system access) just like normal window files. THIS IS GOING TO GIVE NOKIA THE BIGGEST HEADAHCE see ngage section.

Zipman - Allows you to open zip files and add contents to a zip file. It DOES NOT allow you to extract the files. Id imagine this was released by wildpalm to get back the development costs for zip support for goboy+. Zipman also supports upto V3.0 rar files and tar files with an addon.

Launcher - Apparently this increases the amount of phone memory by using the phones memroy as ram, my phone has ~6mb of mem and this reports it to be around 9mb!??? also used as a themes programs which i detest greatly

Where AM I - like minigps but allows for more functions havent used it yet but sounds pretty nice. I have though it would be cool to turn my phone to silent when i walk into a classroom. For those that dont know, this program does something that you have told it to when you move into a prestored gsm cell. So you store cell 2 as home and then you move into cell2 it will do the thing you told it too.

Last edited by GhostDog; 30-05-2004 at 02:10 AM. Reason: coz i felt like it

Old 29-05-2004, 03:29 PM

NON NGAGE GAMES

GAYA - An arcade shooter in space, the gfx are rubbish they have been very badly done. But its a good game very addictive but allows you to save your position after each boss.

SkyForce - A VERY well done game you will not be dissappointed with this game. It is a top to bottom scroller plane shooting arcade. Top down prespective

Animal Farm - Bomberman Clone.

Nightmare - Similar to Diablo okish. Isometric Prespective

Metal Bluster - Walk around in a Mech and kill people good game but the controls are hard to use on the 6600. Isometric Prespective

Intersteller flames - 3D gfx no real control over the craft you just tell it where to move 3rd person prespective.

Rally Pro Contest - 3D gfx running on the MOPHUN engine very well done, multiplayer support included.

Dead Or Alive Xtreme Volley Ball- Nice splash screens VERY ANNOYING XTREME sound plays like rubbish I think.

Prince of Persia Harlem Adventures - Works on the 6600 dont care much for it, just happy it works unlike the first one. Works fine.

Mosqitos - The first game to use the camera to move your aiming - can cheat by moving your hand behind it. THE BEST OT ALL OF CAM GAMES.

Killer Virus - Very large installation size - absolute rubbish

Moorhun Camera X - rubbish Camera game, doesnt use the camera view as a background, its only saved by the fact that you can use the keys to move the crosshair if you prefer instead of the camera.

Talon - Hated it at first but very good when given a chance when i found out how to use the controls. took me 10mins to figure out how to move, you cant move and aim the gun. its a flaying game that needs alot of thought has you have to avoid traps everywhere.
Ok this is my guide on the Nokia 6600 because i think i know almost everything.

TerraForce - A 3D tank game, you move around a maze and kill other tanks, supports BT multiplayer. Sort of difficult controls on 6600.

NOKIA USAGE TIPS

Prob - When I get a text Message it doesnt show up on screen and plays no sound.

Answer - You have been messeing around with the file system. You HAVE to format the MMC to fix this problem.

This problem is caused by moving a file from the system/mail folders. so now the phone thinks it has a message but it has no message because you have moved or deleted it. Note the inbox is a pointer to a file in the mail folder so it is now pointing to something that is no longer there.

When you send a file to your phone and you wish to move it somewhere else, COPY IT!!! DONT CUT IT! that way the file is still there for you to delete through your inbox.

MMC 128+ recommendation - i have heard that PQI cars are the best, I cannot verify this I havent used one, just thought Id let you know.

BEST MMC READER

PQI - I have ordered one off the net, it was around 9 quid inc VAT P&P, it is the only MMC reader that has built in Flash Memroy. The drivers are sroted on the flash memroy so you dont need to install drivers for it. This is brilliant for places that restrict access to mass storage devices. I havent tested it yet as I havent been home to get it. Id imagine it would work just like an Pen drive. Also include a long 1M usb cable.

BLUETOOTH HEADEST

I have been trying to find a new headset for ages, and although they are apparently comftable the jabra FREESPEAK 250 has very bad static problems. Apparently because the FREESPEAK 250 uses a type 3 transistor that has a 1.5m range whilst the BT 250 uses a type 2 tranistor that has a 10m range. Hence why they were able to double the battery life of the 250. Many sites label the FREESPEAK 250 as a BT250 they have got the name wrong thats all.

I have now put off getting a BT headset until the jabra T-800 comes out, it has digital signal processing for something or other, anyhow i suggest that one when it comes out. for those who cant wait, the G2 seems to be the best.

Even though I have never bought a headset I have done alot of research and you need to ask the questions underneath before you buy a headset

Headset Buyers Guide

RANGE OF BLUETOOTH
STATIC PROBLEMS
DISTANCE BETWEEN DEVICES BEFORE STATIC KICKS IN
NOISE REDUCTION FACILITIES
COMFORT OF FIT
SENSITIVITY OF MIC
DOES THE FIRMWARE PREVENT PC ACCESS
TALK TIME
STANDBY TIME
PRICE
HOW SECURE IS THE FIT
CAN THE DEVICE FIT AROUND PEOPLE WITH BIG EARS
HOW MANY DEVICES CAN BE PAIRED
IS NOKIA VOICE DIALLING SUPPORTED
DOES IT FIT IN THE EAR OR OVER THE EAR
IS THERE A HISS FOR THE PERSON LISTENING TO YOU
CAN YOU PUT THE PHONE IN YOUR TROUSER POCKET WITHOUT CAUSING STATIC
CAN YOU WEAR GLASSES WITH THE HEADSET
DOES THE HEADSET SUPPORT VOiP
CHARGE TIME
MICROPHONE ANGLE

ok the microphone angle if pointing upwards will be subject to the wind as with the jabras. If the device doesnt allow pc access to it then you cant use voip (i believe) VOiP allows you to route your PC's mic and speakers to ur headset. Should save all of phone bills if your gf has one of these and ADSL.

INCREASE BATTERY LIFE

I have heard reports that repeaditly dropping your phone onto concrete surfaces from very far up manages to INCREASE! battery performace by upto 75%! note that this DOESNT work on carpet and will do nothing but damage your phone!

I hope you find this useful if it did find it helpful please post as im the curious type.
I have included only the best apps for 6600 which I use on my phone. Everyting within this post has been tested for 6600 and I gurantee that it works. Anything else you want to know ask, and i il tell you about it.

MOST USELESS PROGRAM EVER SEEN!!

on handigo (whatever that site is called) they are offering software that says you can use your phone as a survelliance camera for your home!. OK PLEASE TELL ME WHAT RET@RD IS GONNA STICK THERE 6600 OFF THEIR WALL. I mean the theif will be like tar very much nice security cam you got their thanks very much!! :?

NOKIA 6600 PROCESSOR runs at 104mhz and has 379.5kb of RAM (dirve D) and a 22mb ROM drive (drive Z) yes your phone has alot more then 6mb but you cant use the ROM drive!

Last edited by death_entry; 29-05-2004 at 04:05 PM. Reason: left a bit out!

Old 30-05-2004, 12:58 AM

Descentr is on a distinguished road
please help

Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me..

I want to record my lectures from university. I have tried Erecorder, but the recording quality is extremely bad. I have used different microphones and even the one on the headset which is provided with the phone. Erecorder only has the option to change the sound recording quality from low to high, being amr "or something I forgot" to Wave files. But that recording quality of wave file is horoble.

I guess the real question is, is there anyway to make better sound recording with the nokia 6600? is this just a software problem? I hope it's not hardware.

I was about to buy an Iriver mp3 player/recorder. Recording with the phone would save me over $300. If I could record with at reasonable quality, it would be great. has anyone else tried recording lectures or meetings?
Ads

Old 30-05-2004, 01:05 AM

Id forget trying to record your lectures no dictaphone can do that let alone one on your phone. Youd need a proper microphone under the lecturer to do that hehe its a phone not a sound studio. i mean dictaphone has really good quality for the file size around 300kb for 8mins and you can hear perfect but that was fairly close up. Im sorry but the mic just isnt sensitive enough on the 6600

Old 30-05-2004, 01:53 AM

Descentr is on a distinguished road
mm I record 3 hour lectures soemtimes on my minidisc player, soemtimes on the msi 128mb mp3 player. The sound quality is good with a microphone. I guess I'll just have to get an mp3 player that records the full 3 hours with a 256mb iriver mp3 recorder. That's unfortunate because it means having too many things in 1 single pocket. the other ussually has the wallet.

Old 30-05-2004, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
death_entry,Next time you post instructions on how to use N-Gage games you will be banned.BTW:I'm to lazy to read the whole text so i'm goint to point out just some obviouis errors like the ammount of RAM on the 6600 or that PhotoAcute alows the 6600 to take 1MB images.

The views of the poster are not the same with other members of this forum IE,i happen to like Attack of the killer virus.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 30-05-2004, 02:36 AM

ok i wont mention ngage again. im not wrong about the RAM check it under fexplorer. Have you played mosquitos? Ayway what do you think of my guide i wanted to share everyting about 6600 that i knew hence the ngage stuff. photoacute images are 91kb in size. they have a higher resolution but the quality is the same. dont know what you mean by 1mb images.

Old 30-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

S/1MB/1MP.1 MB was a typo.You said that PhotoAcute alows the 6600 to take 1 MegaPixel images right?That is not possible since the 6600 has a VGA camera only(0.3 MP).BTW:You are wrong about the RAM.The 6600 has arround 16 MB and has arround 10MB free after bootup.

I don't have a problem with the guide as long as you don't break the rules.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 30-05-2004, 06:57 PM

Vamp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
S/1MB/1MP.1 MB was a typo.You said that PhotoAcute alows the 6600 to take 1 MegaPixel images right?That is not possible since the 6600 has a VGA camera only(0.3 MP).BTW:You are wrong about the RAM.The 6600 has arround 16 MB and has arround 10MB free after bootup.

I don't have a problem with the guide as long as you don't break the rules.

Photoacute does take picks up to 1280x960 by processing 4 or more images of the same objects. I tried it once and the image is really a lot better than the 0.3 MP results. The colour and details were also much improved although the focus is still limited by the VGA camera.

Old 30-05-2004, 07:25 PM

10mb of ram??? u sure? where did u read that, damn the phone is more powerful then i thought, i only stated that figure coz fexplorer stated it to have 300k in the ram drive. any idea what that is then?

Old 30-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

You are using FExplorer,right?Start it,and go to the first page where all the drives are listed.Under the app title you will see the ammount of free memory.

Old 30-05-2004, 09:49 PM

ahh thats what that number is for... i could never figure out what it was. thanks!!

Old 01-06-2004, 10:11 AM

Lenepyhe is on a distinguished road
[quote=death_entry]NON NGAGE GAMES

INCREASE BATTERY LIFE

I have heard reports that repeaditly dropping your phone onto concrete surfaces from very far up manages to INCREASE! battery performace by upto 75%! note that this DOESNT work on carpet and will do nothing but damage your phone!

Xcuse me. Are you intending to mean that in order to increase the battery life of our 6600 we should throw them on the ground? (I voluntarily avoid the "very far up" expression, since I simply cannot believe what I am reading).

Hopefully, I missunderstood something about your comment; otherwise the credibility of the rest of the post would be seriously questioned.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It seems that i missed the best part!This is hilarious

Old 01-06-2004, 09:48 PM

joolsvern is on a distinguished road
No its true - If you drop your 6600 from 50 metres onto a concrete floor the battery lasts for ages - honest its true.
this is because you smash your phone to sh*t and then it doesnt drain the battery

OBVIOUS INIT!!