All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-04-2004, 02:05 PM

DaiMonde is on a distinguished road
Gps

Can anyone here gimme a heads up on the GPS with the a920 ? is it worth buying the fone for this ? :?

currently got an n-gage, toying with the idea of getting a 3 handset of some type and interested to know if people think it would be worth it. the biggest selling point to me is the GPS cos i can get lost in my own bedroom !

Is this a standalone software kinda thing or is it reliant on the 3 network ?? :?

TIA

Old 21-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Unregistered2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiMonde
Can anyone here gimme a heads up on the GPS with the a920 ? is it worth buying the fone for this ? :?

currently got an n-gage, toying with the idea of getting a 3 handset of some type and interested to know if people think it would be worth it. the biggest selling point to me is the GPS cos i can get lost in my own bedroom !

Is this a standalone software kinda thing or is it reliant on the 3 network ?? :?

TIA
It uses the 3 network but is good for finding the nearest pubs/cinemas/train stations etc.... it even shows u a little map to show you how to get there on foot! lol

Old 22-04-2004, 03:08 PM

cheersthanksbye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered2
It uses the 3 network but is good for finding the nearest pubs/cinemas/train stations etc.... it even shows u a little map to show you how to get there on foot! lol
Isn't the feature you are refering to (the map to find pubs etc) just part of the services you get from 3?

That doesn't use GPS as you have to input your location and destination, like Autoroute.

Can you get true GPS functionality on this phone on 3 in the UK?

Old 22-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Its AGPS,which means assisted GPS.I believe its a GPS module combined with 3 services,IE three provide the trough their network.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.
Ads

Old 22-04-2004, 06:58 PM
motorolaA925

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
Its AGPS,which means assisted GPS.I believe its a GPS module combined with 3 services,IE three provide the trough their network.
I have got the GPS working outside 3 services, a guy have creatade a Javamiddlet who works great! Agps.sis, you find it on aussie3g.com forum! There you also have a big thread about the GPS.

I'm sure you could use it like a normal GPS when the GPS application who are out now just release a patch or something. Because not the GPS-application to UIQ just support BT GPS, but yeah, give it 2-3 weeks or something

Old 24-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Scarfman

Smile

You may find the following group useful:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/A920GPS

also this thread at aussie3g:

http://www.aussie3g.com/modules.php?...&p=33820#33820

The 'Quick map' and 'A to B' services don't use your phone's GPS (although it'd be great if they could!) .. they simply get your vauge location using cell information, you can narrow it down yourself though & it has a list of previous locations. Very useful .

Hope that helps,

Scarfman

Old 23-06-2004, 12:52 PM
daf

Help !!

i don't find the file agps.sis .. i have find out everywhere but pheraps the file is removed ..

can you help me ?

Old 03-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Ice coffee

GPS on the A920

Just to clear a few things up

1) the hutch map service does use the AGPS but only when in "3" coverage (otherwise it relies on cell location and is vague)

2) there is some amazing s/ware called wayfinder that TALKS you from doorstep to doorstep including maps and a compass it uses the phones in built GPS to get a fix on location speed and direction and then sends you a mini map over Gprs to show where you are, and here is the problem for us UK users !!! hutch has banned all internet access in the UK, this means no maps for us!!! so whilst Hutch "3" sweden is so far ahead that they are promoting this s/ware on the official "3" sweden web site (not to mention the mo phon 3D games available) "3" uk are so backward that they think it's 1995 and mobiles shouldnt have internet access

3) install AGPS.sis for the hell of it, its cool cos it shows you the time GMT accurate to the second + a 6 digit lattitude and longitude aswell as your heading (0~359 degrees) and your speed in KMH (very accurate)

Old 12-10-2004, 04:16 PM

xerins is on a distinguished road
The GPS chipset in the A920/A925 is able to provide coordinates without assistance from the network, so the phone is a plain GPS receiver in that sense, and can work independently of 3's (or anyone else's) network.

The drawback to this "autonomous" mode of operation is that it takes a long time to get a fix (+40s) and it requires good GPS signal strength and good satelite visibility. That means you will probably need a clear, unobstructed view of the sky until it gets the first fix (so don't try this through a building window, or on streets where all you see is a slice of the sky).

However, if connected to the network that works properly and is able to provide assistance data (the "A" in AGPS), you should be able to obtain a fix much faster (8s) and in much lower GPS signal conditions.

For best results, you should hold the phone at a 45 degree angle, as you would if you were using it as a PDA. Don't cover the top of the phone around the camera. That's where the GPS antena is. For even better results, use an external GPS antena.

After the first fix has been obtained (assisted or autonomous), subsequent fixes should generally be as good as assisted fixes. In fact if you ask for another fix right away, you should be able to get a new fix in about 1s.

The second issue is how to get the coordinates from the chipset (the software required). That's the subject of a different thread.