All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-04-2004, 02:15 AM

alexoras is on a distinguished road
what corrupts the OS?

Hello, im writing this post as my phone is being sent to nokia to be flashed as it got buggered for some reason..(no formattin possible,no boot etc, etc.)

the thing that really bugs me is that i dont exacly know what caused the serious malfunction... i didnt install any cracked or illegal programs, just legal trial versions etc. the thing is that how can i avoid this from happening again? and whats causing it?
*is it installing too many progs without rebooting in between?
*does is happen randomly?(ie, 2 different phones with the same apps might behave differently)
* will a firmware upgrade reduce the chance of that happening in the future?
* if i install a program thats made for 3560 and doesnt work on 6600, will that cause a malfunction?
* simply having too many programs installed(something like a registry overflow?)
* somethig else?

the thing is that i bought the 6600 so i can install all sorts of things on it, else i would get a dumbphone not a smartphone, but on the first day i did that, the OS got Fu(%ed... not installing progs is not an option, so any pointers?

by the way, does anyone know of any PC programs that u read the .SIS files and detect if they are viruses/corrupt/bad for you6600 without actually having to put them on your nokia? im asking this cause i was looking for freeware/trial progs on p2p programs and i got alot of results but most of them seemed very dodgy....

Old 17-04-2004, 03:46 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
I don't know what all people that have this type of problems do to get this to happen (I've had and still have many Series 60 phones and I've never seen such problems even if I do install and uninstall apps frequently).

What I don't do is go around with a file manager to delete random/unknown files (especially popular seem to be messing around in the messaging folders/directories).

Also, I don't load the phone with tens and tens of apps (or themes) that I never use anyway. And when I install apps, I always install them - at least initially - on the memory card (if it causes problems, I can always take the card out).

And I don't keep thousands of messages around (I have yet to receive even one, single message that's important enough to save "for ever").

In any case, it (OS corruption). shouldn't, of course, happen to anyone at all.

Most likely the reasons are in OS features and/or bugs + badly written applications, if it isn't the user deleting files he or she shouldn't (though, the OS probably shouldn't allow such harmful actions in the first place).

Old 17-04-2004, 12:10 PM

alexoras is on a distinguished road
i agree with you but on my phone i had about 10 messages, and around 13-15 extra applications installed and it died.. thats what freaks me out! if its going to happen so easily, i might as well buy a flash cable and the rest and save me the trouble of loosing my phone for a coupole of days evey week to re-flash it!

also, installing in the memory card doesnt solve anything.. all my data includin inbox were in the memcard but the OS died nonetheless..
i have to add tho, that the mem card is a very dodgy 32MB one that doesn say anything on it.. could it be that ?

Old 17-04-2004, 04:48 PM

Vamp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexoras
i agree with you but on my phone i had about 10 messages, and around 13-15 extra applications installed and it died.. thats what freaks me out! if its going to happen so easily, i might as well buy a flash cable and the rest and save me the trouble of loosing my phone for a coupole of days evey week to re-flash it!

also, installing in the memory card doesnt solve anything.. all my data includin inbox were in the memcard but the OS died nonetheless..
i have to add tho, that the mem card is a very dodgy 32MB one that doesn say anything on it.. could it be that ?
Try backing up ur phone memory into MMC before you install any new programs. After installation, check that all programs are ok. If not, restore from MMC.

Sometimes different programs placed on the same devices may have conflict. It's normal, just like installing different software on PCs may corrupt the OS settings.