All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-09-2002, 10:22 PM

Official launch delayed january 2003 ????

:roll:
Bad news viewed on a french website : Sony Ericsson seems not satisfied by the stability of the software ==> decision to postpone the official launch (january in France...)

Here is the link for french speaking people :

http://www.mobicity.com/index.php?page=mbmag_article&id=2514

Sony Ericsson retarde le P800

Sony Ericsson a retardé le lancement de son modèle haut de gamme P800. Initialement annoncé pour la mois de novembre, le mobile, doté d’un écran à 4096 couleurs, d’un appareil photo, d’un accès à Internet et des technologies bluetooth et MMS, ne sortira finalement qu’en janvier 2003. Le constructeur explique qu’il n’est pas satisfait de la stabilité du produit. Il sera donc équipé d’une nouvelle version de son système d’exploitation Symbian OS 7.0, qui permet de télécharger des applications, comme des jeux en Java et C++ par exemple.

Old 13-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Does it say if it's a worldwide postponing or just in France? Bit of a blow to SE if it is as there are M$ $tinker based phones due around christmas so I've heard.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 14-09-2002, 10:57 AM

Not good news at all

If it's true it doesn't exactly do much for Symbian's credibility either, their reputation has been built on the stability of the OS although it might be the changes SE have made that are causing problems.

There is also a report on another forum that the P800 manufacturing is being switched from Scandinavia to France, implying that production has not yet started!!

Could it be - SonyEricsson, over before it began?

Old 16-09-2002, 08:30 PM

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

Check this out:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/27141.html
Ads

Old 16-09-2002, 09:38 PM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
If this turns out to be true, then I think my mind is made up. I'll be getting a Palm OS5 device as soon as they hit the market. Assuming they are actually out be end of October as estimated.

Zuber

Old 16-09-2002, 10:50 PM

Eccentrix is on a distinguished road
Hmm... I hope that delay is just a rumor.... I talked to a Sonyericcson employed last week, he confirmed a delivery date of Oct 14. here in Norway...

Old 16-09-2002, 11:27 PM

rockdoc is on a distinguished road
P800 postponed?

Interestingly enough there is a company who claims to have these for sale: Teknik-Boulevard.com
I have no affiliation with them. Looks to me like they are flogging the pre-release beta version that had all the problems? I'll wait until they are in the stores as full-release version. Having been one of the first to get the T68 I remember the problems that a lot of folks had....seemed like a fairly high percentage handset failure rate over the first few months. The same thing happened with Handspring when they first started delivering the color Visor...a whole host of problems for everyone. Maybe SE is smart enough to realize if they screw up on something with this kind of hype they'll have a big hole to climb out of.

Old 17-09-2002, 01:57 PM

Did you ever go for a trip with you parents when you were younger and after the first 30 minutes you got bored and started asked how much longer? They told you "not much longer we're nearly there" so you look out of the window for another 20mins. Then you start getting bored again and you say "are we nearly there yet" and they say "nearly, not much longer and you'll be able to build a sandcastle/ride the pony/etc...

So you drift off and think about what sort of sandcastle you'll build or what it'll be like to ride the pony and before you know it 40mins has passed. By this time you're getting aggitated so you ask "how much longer?!" and they say "not much longer why dont you do some colouring in or something" but you're not having any of it and you spend the last 30mins asking "are we there yet?" every 30 seconds.

if we apply this story to the tail of the SE P800 we're somewhere outside Leicester on the M1 and Mummy has just got you thinking about that pony. She knows damn well that you're bearly half way there but she's not going to tell you that cos she knows that the next time you stop at a petrol station you'll spend all your holiday money on sweets instead of the pony ride.

Well the next time we stop i'm saying screw the pony he smells of his own fecies anyway... show me the sweeties!

Old 18-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Just outside Leicester on the M1????? Where are you headed for your P800? Margate? Actually no that'd be quicker to get to.... maybe somewhere in Cyprus.....
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 20-09-2002, 09:04 PM

no more delay in France

Ouf!!!
Finally, I've got a direct answer from SE France : the P800 will be available by the end of the year.
Whatever have been said in this forum...I will buy the P800.
It's a phone...and a pda that could be better that a palm.. in the same device.
On my opinion, N7650 is a phone+
Palm and PPC could be PDA+ (with comact flash GSM/GPRS card)
The P800 is the first real smartphome/mediaphone

Anybody disagree?

"Cher Client,
Nous vous remercions de nous avoir contacté via notre site internet www.sonyericssonmobile.com/fr.
Le P800 sera disponible à la fin de l'année 2002.
Cordialement, "
Votre Conseiller Clientèle

Old 22-09-2002, 01:43 PM

yep

Old 01-10-2002, 10:01 AM

MaxiMuS is on a distinguished road
End of this year ... should be great as my Vendor promise to give me one hehehe

Old 01-10-2002, 05:11 PM

hianhwee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoffian
End of this year ... should be great as my Vendor promise to give me one hehehe
So good! Better launch it in Dec.... I want a new gift for XMas! Bored cuz no new toys to play as N7650 has juz left my hands....

Old 04-10-2002, 06:18 PM

At address http://www.bennysoft.de/mobile/sonyericsson/p800.htm there's new information. The availability date has changed from november 2002 to january 2003.

Jimbo

Old 14-10-2002, 08:17 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentrix
Hmm... I hope that delay is just a rumor.... I talked to a Sonyericcson employed last week, he confirmed a delivery date of Oct 14. here in Norway...
As its now Oct 14th have their been any sightings of the mysterious P800 in Norway