All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #31  
Old 19-03-2004, 02:45 PM
4u2nv 4u2nv is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 586
4u2nv is on a distinguished road
i also ave a 8910i that is onbe very sexy lookin phone better than any 9series

  #32  
Old 19-03-2004, 04:31 PM
GhostDog's Avatar
GhostDog GhostDog is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Skopje,Macedonia
Posts: 6,356
GhostDog will become famous soon enough
IMO,the 8910i can't be compared with any Symbian smartphone because its not a smartphone,its just a phone.I would choose the 7650,3650,9210 and any other Symbian smartphone,no matter what series it is over the 8910i anytime.I'm not dazled by fancy covers and high price tags.

awyeah,your series theory would've been true a year ago(Nokia have abandoned their old naming scheme) and only if the price of the device is considered,not the features,if the price is higher it doesn't mean that the device is better.
__________________
www.symbiandiaries.com/ghostdog



Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

  #33  
Old 19-03-2004, 07:16 PM
steve36 steve36 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 28
steve36 is on a distinguished road
Wink

awyeah
Psion moved from the series-3 organiser to the series-5 because 4 is unlucky to the Chinese.
Maybe if they'd gone 3, 4, 5... I'd be buying a psion series 6 next.

Steve

  #34  
Old 23-03-2004, 11:14 PM
GhostDog's Avatar
GhostDog GhostDog is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Skopje,Macedonia
Posts: 6,356
GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Michal from My-Symbian posted a small preview:

Quote:
I just wanted to get familiar with this new model in order to be able to prepare the site for it before it is launched so that I can start supporting it right from the day one. But I hope to get longer access to it some time later - possibly in May.

I can't answer all the questions simply because this is an early unit and many enhancements, improvements and additions are still on the way. I don't want to publicly comment things that will change in just days or weeks. I will post a full review as soon as I test a final unit with final specifications. It would be unfair to comment features that are still under development at the moment.

All I can say at the moment is that:
- the device is very fast. The UI works very fast and applications start almost immediately. It feels like a rocket compared to 9210.
- screen quality is simply PERFECT. It is one of the best (if not THE best) PDA screen I have ever seen. It is much brighter and crisper than P900's screen. There is NO need for any keyboard backlight. The screen makes the keyboard FULLY visible in darkness. I have added a picture showing this (it looks even better than on the picture - the lens of my camera isn't sensitive enough).
- sound quality is very good and MP3 playback is just great. Loudspeaker is quite loud and the sound is very clear.
- Opera web browser is simply AMAZING. Just take a look at the pictures in the gallery - some of them show this web site displayed in the 9500's Opera. What I like the most is the full screen/fit to screen mode where Opera rescales web pages on the fly to fit the screen horizontally. No horizontal scrolling at all - only vertical like on PC. And it works much better than on the P900 because Opera DOESN'T change the layout - it displays the page exactly as it is, only scaled down like a picture. It is just TERRIFIC.
- I can't give any detailed information about CPU speed or storage size because it still may change (i.e. get even bigger). All I can tell you is that you can be sure that the CPU isn't slower than P900's and that both the storage and RAM memories are way bigger than P900's (not to even mention 9210).
- Camera quality is certainly better than P800/P900's but sorry, no pictures at the moment.
- Keyboard is muuuch better than 9210's. Keys are tighter, very stable, pressing them is firm and you can feel the resistance and even hear a silent "click". You simply always know if you pressed it correctly or not. It works much better than 9210's keyboard.
- Navigational key is also very good. You have all the directions (and OK/click) under one finger - no need to move your hand to several separate arrow keys. But there are also separate arrow keys for "conservatists".
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi work just great. No problems with pairing with my PC and with the P900, sending and receiving data etc.
- video recording works OK. Videos can be played back using RealPlayer on the PDA side. The player features a full screen mode and it supports RealMedia, MP4, 3GPP and other formats.
My general opinion is VERY, VERY GOOD. This is going to be my Symbian OS device #1. It is just amazing. Maybe its dimensions are not much smaller than 9210s, but believe me, you can feel the difference when holding them both in your hands. The 9500 appears quite smaller and lighter especially that its black and silver design makes it optically even smaller. Fantastic device.
__________________
www.symbiandiaries.com/ghostdog



Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

  #35  
Old 24-03-2004, 08:05 PM
machtoners machtoners is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 122
machtoners is on a distinguished road
@Ghostdog- Are you sure about Nokia abandoning their number series (except N-gage ) I say this because the launch of recent phones like 6600, 7700, 7200 etc. I find they are just apropriate for their series number( their target market). And the same goes with 9500

Also when exactly will nokia lauch the 9500?

  #36  
Old 24-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Ismail's Avatar
Ismail Ismail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Q8
Posts: 1,195
Ismail is on a distinguished road
fist of all the 9500 will be launched q4 2004

second of all here is each series with its functions:

1 & 2 series: phones which are simple and not complicated, also cheap.

3series: phones which have cool features with a bit of style, also cheap.

5 series: phones which are more durabil(rougher) than other phones.

6 series: phones in my opion aimed at buiseness men who want something small and gets the job done,

7 series: aimed at fashion (except 7700) most of the phones 7 series are more looks and design than other phones.

8 series: ppl who want high class phones.

9 series: need i say more

n-gage does not belong in any of them so nokia didnt give it a number
__________________
If you can read this, than you can read!

  #37  
Old 24-03-2004, 10:05 PM
steve36 steve36 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 28
steve36 is on a distinguished road
I thought someone mentioned September availability.

Also I believe Nokia's current plan is in volume availability Q4, this may imply a very small number released before.
I bought my series-5 Psion a couple of months before it appeared everywhere by identifying a shop that was sole supplier for the first stock, a principle I've regretted a little with my P800 as an paying 'beta tester'.
The main problem with this is you pay a bit more than the eventual volume price, mind you sometime price is not the issue with something you wait almost a year for.

Steve

  #38  
Old 25-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Raven's Avatar
Raven Raven is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,125
Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Ismail

7 series: aimed at fashion (except 7700) most of the phones 7 series are more looks and design than other phones.

8 series: ppl who want high class phones.
The 7-series is more about 'innovation' (7110, 7650, 7700), whilst the 8-series is all about style/design (8810, 8850, 8910).

With 'innovation' I mean phones that bring something new to the market. The 7110 was the first WAP enabled mobile phone, the 7650 was the first to feature an inbuilt camera, the 7700 is the first to have such a high resolution touchscreen with many multimedia oriented features.
__________________
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

  #39  
Old 25-03-2004, 09:53 AM
awyeah's Avatar
awyeah awyeah is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hell
Posts: 122
awyeah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Ismail
fist of all the 9500 will be launched q4 2004

second of all here is each series with its functions:

1 & 2 series: phones which are simple and not complicated, also cheap.

3series: phones which have cool features with a bit of style, also cheap.

5 series: phones which are more durabil(rougher) than other phones.

6 series: phones in my opion aimed at buiseness men who want something small and gets the job done,

7 series: aimed at fashion (except 7700) most of the phones 7 series are more looks and design than other phones.

8 series: ppl who want high class phones.

9 series: need i say more

n-gage does not belong in any of them so nokia didnt give it a number


erm./... i wonder why i havent posted in this thread
well anyway..hehe im back and im bad as ever

*weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*


so, now leme see hmmm
who and which should i criticize anyway blah bleh


i agree with you the first time ismail
nokia has rated their phones via series, i have said
this before and am saying again.

if you look at this thread which i quoted, 1,2 are cheapest
with very less functions, then 3,5 series are a bit advanced
6,7 have more functions n complicated, and 8 series then
titanium ones and etc, and 9 series is the top of the line.

there is no number higher than 9, so like 9 is the eleetest
supah dupah what nokia consider. if they put it 10, so it would
be considered "1" series for the matter of fact, or then they might have to introduce a 5-digit model number then, which is not likely to happen.

one more fact is that, though they might not have the latest
OS of symbian or either more functions than some new 6, 7
series phones, they are the most expensive in the market
meaning the more valuable.


so you might get an idea from tht...


can anyone tell me, why nokia hasnt released a "4 series" for or hasnt introduced any phone for the 4 series?? I'll give him/her a cookie *G*





the eleetest...awyeah.....


kthx


--
awyeah

Last edited by awyeah; 25-03-2004 at 09:55 AM.

  #40  
Old 25-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Ismail's Avatar
Ismail Ismail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Q8
Posts: 1,195
Ismail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by awyeah



i agree with you the first time ismail

--
awyeah
omg i cant belive u are sayin those fine words

anyway u r correct hat 9xxx series is the best but only to some ppl, other ppl prefer 6600 or 3660,for example the 8910 doesnt have any good features and a lot of ppl prefer 6600.

nokia will never intruduce the 4 series because its an unlucky number

where is my cookie ?
__________________
If you can read this, than you can read!

  #41  
Old 26-03-2004, 10:32 AM
awyeah's Avatar
awyeah awyeah is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hell
Posts: 122
awyeah is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up aM dA oNe uR mOm wArNeD U aBt~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismail
omg i cant belive u are sayin those fine words

anyway u r correct hat 9xxx series is the best but only to some ppl, other ppl prefer 6600 or 3660,for example the 8910 doesnt have any good features and a lot of ppl prefer 6600.

nokia will never intruduce the 4 series because its an unlucky number

where is my cookie ?


as of agian i agree.. the 9xxx series is elite, eleet, leet, l33t, 31337 like
me ofcourse no doubt about that.

the 3660 is most likely turned into a pda, while the 6600 is still small
and doesnt have a larger screen, as for the 7650 it is an old prototype. :p

theyved introduced 7610 or 7660, i think its 7700 with a pda type
one touch screen, its oval type in shape or something like that
it doesnt look like a phone like the n-gage and looks more lika a
pda, or palm, thought its not even shaped like that, i guess its for
women then.. men only like hardcore shapes


the 8910 has a titanium casing, and it opens in a fashy way, from
the cover inside, otherwise it has no features.


the 9xxx is the only nokia phone with dual screens, and now the newer
model has 2 os which no other nokia phone has, and it has 2 color screens,
therefore no nokia phone can match that and hence, we can reffer it to as "eleet".


as for the 4 series, you say 4 is an anylucky number.. well not for me um...
maybe for nokia, finland or the finnish people?
can anybody prove this mebbeh?

i am teh cookiemonster, you will get ur cookie when ya prove it
that its unlucky, babeh.


:p


--
awyeah

Last edited by awyeah; 26-03-2004 at 10:34 AM. Reason: i never make mistakes.

  #42  
Old 26-03-2004, 11:45 AM
LAuRA's Avatar
LAuRA LAuRA is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,517
LAuRA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by awyeah

as for the 4 series, you say 4 is an anylucky number.. well not for me um...
maybe for nokia, finland or the finnish people?
can anybody prove this mebbeh?

--
awyeah
As I hear the word 'finnish' I guess I just have to comment :p
4 is not an unlucky number in Finland, not that I've heard of anyway.

Someone said it is unlucky for Chinese, but I wouldn't know about that.

  #43  
Old 26-03-2004, 01:38 PM
awyeah's Avatar
awyeah awyeah is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hell
Posts: 122
awyeah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAuRA
As I hear the word 'finnish' I guess I just have to comment :p
4 is not an unlucky number in Finland, not that I've heard of anyway.

Someone said it is unlucky for Chinese, but I wouldn't know about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAuRA
As I hear the word 'finnish' I guess I just have to comment :p
4 is not an unlucky number in Finland, not that I've heard of anyway.

Someone said it is unlucky for Chinese, but I wouldn't know about that.

well ofcourse miss laura your not chinese, your finnish, finished lol
i mean a european gal and not chinese...

yeah im living in malaysia ive heard saying 4 is an unlucky number..


but anyway, ismail said so 4 is an unlucky number so therefore
nokia will never release a phone with the number.


--
awyeah

  #44  
Old 01-07-2004, 05:25 AM
bigdaddychris's Avatar
bigdaddychris bigdaddychris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Makati City, Philippines
Posts: 189
bigdaddychris is on a distinguished road
How about the cost? Would it be like the initial price of SE P900 here in the Philippines which was around $820?
Ads

  #45  
Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 AM
garcons50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddychris
How about the cost? Would it be like the initial price of SE P900 here in the Philippines which was around $820?
Wow!! $820USD for the Nokia 9500 sounds pretty okay.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
9500, bin, waiting, wat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy