All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-03-2004, 01:02 PM

daveyjohn is on a distinguished road
PC Suite backup - 'unexpected error'

Hiya folks,

I can't quite believe nobody else has had this problem, but a few different searches turned up very little.

I don't have a problem getting my 6600 to connect via bluetooth - that's fine. And all of the functions of PC Suite work properly apart from the backup section.

Every time I click the 'backup' button, I instantly get the message:

"An unexpected error has occurred while backing up data - Please run the backup task again"

I seem to remember a similar problem happening with the 7650 PC Suite originally, and that was solved by moving or renaming the old backup folder and forcing the program to create a new one. I've tried that and it hasn't made any difference.

Any ideas guys??

Old 08-03-2004, 05:04 AM

sipuli is on a distinguished road
Have You got any email-addresses in your addressbook? Try to delete them and then try backup files again. I solved this problem with my earlier phone (7650) like this.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:45 AM

badger is on a distinguished road
I would advise you uninstall the Pc Suite & also delete the Nokia folders left on the Pc after uninstall,

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nokia
&
C:\Program Files\Nokia (if you have other Nokia software it will also be located in this folder so be careful)

Once you have done this run the reg cleaner which is located on the support pages of Nokia.com.

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,6771,42289,00.html

Now re-install Pc Suite.

Last edited by badger; 08-03-2004 at 09:48 AM.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:38 PM

daveyjohn is on a distinguished road
Success !!

Thanks for the suggestions badger and sipuli.

Removing the emails addresses from my contacts didn't make any difference, but thanks for suggesting it anyway.

In case anyone is interested, I did need to uninstall the PC Suite, run the reg cleaner and then re-install it from scratch (as badger suggested).

Now the backup/restore function works perfectly.

Thanks again.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:45 AM

lsm0325 is on a distinguished road
Actually it happened to my phone because the MMC supplied with the phone is corrupted (it think) and everytime I use the Phone Manager the phone will hang while "scanning memory" is on the screen or an error "could not write to disk" (or something like that) appear when I use the phone. What I did was I formatted the MMC using the extras -> memory -> format mem. card.

Beware though, formatting will erase all your files on the MMC, so copy the files using a card reader. If you don't have one, then do what I did at the time, I copied the files from the MMC to the phone using the FExplorer, its a bit difficult, good thing I only had very few files then. But formatting helped and I could already back-up the phone using PC suite and it does not hang anymore (of course I already upgraded my MMC to a bigger capacity).

Old 08-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Parham

I had the same problem and I also formatted my memory card and the problem was solved. But the problem was because the file system on the MMC was corrupted, I checked the file system with chkdsk.exe and there were 4 corrupted files which could not be deleted or renamed. I copied all other files to my computer, formatted the MMC and copied the files back to the MMC.
Ads