All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 80

Old 23-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Nokia launches new enterprise-class Communicator

Today at Cannes Nokia announced the long awaited Communicator successor Nokia 9500. The tri-band device supporting I-GPRS (EDGE) and Wi-Fi 802.11b is expected to be available in volume during the fourth quarter of 2004. The device is running Series 80 on the inside and Series 40 on the outside.

More pictures here:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/gallery/Nokia-9500

Nokia launches new enterprise-class Communicator
February 23, 2004

The Nokia 9500 Communicator extends business mobility as leading IT vendors offer new solutions and support

Cannes, February 23, 2004--Nokia today renewed its commitment to enterprise mobility with the introduction of the first in a series of new enterprise-grade mobile devices designed for corporate customers. The new Nokia 9500 Communicator is one of the first cellular devices on the market designed to meet the demands of corporate IT departments for customization, manageability and security. The tri-band device supporting E-GPRS (EDGE) and Wi-Fi 802.11b is expected to be available in volume during the fourth quarter of 2004. The price (unsubsidized) of the Nokia 9500 Communicator is expected to be around ˆ800 in Europe.

With the announcement of the new enterprise-class communicator series, Nokia's recently formed Enterprise Solutions business group evolves the company's portfolio of business-optimised devices to include a full range of differentiated devices.

"Nokia understands mobility better than anyone," said Mary McDowell, Nokia Enterprise Solutions' newly appointed senior vice president and general manager. "The Nokia 9500 Communicator combines our knowledge of enterprise customer needs and critical usability issues with our expertise in mobile connectivity and security, resulting in the first mobile device that enables fast and universal access to corporate services, and is backed by proven application and software support from leading IT vendors."

Key Functions and Features
Like its predecessors from the first Communicator family, the Nokia 9500 Communicator takes the most popular office solutions mobile by bringing e-mail, personal information management, with PC synchronization, browsing, vertical enterprise applications and even document, spreadsheet and presentation creation into the pockets of mobile professionals, allowing them to effectively utilize their time while on the road. Other features of the sleek 222-gram (7.83 oz.) device include:

Tri-band GSM capability (two variants: 900/1800/1900 MHz and 850/1800/1900 MHz)
GPRS/EGPRS (EDGE)
Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b
Symbian Operating System 7.0S Platform with J2ME Personal Profile environment
In-built VGA camera & Multimedia messaging
Bluetooth audio and data support
USB connectivity (Nokia Connectivity Cable DKU-2)
80 MB of free user memory
Two color (up to 65k colors) displays with
640x200 pixels, Series 80 User Interface
128x128 pixels, Series 40 User Interface
E-mail support: POP3, IMAP,
Email: IMAP4, POP3, SMTP, SyncML
Security: SSL/TLS, Ipsec VPN
Browsing: HTML/XHTML, HTML 4.01, JavaScript 1.3
Office tool support: documents, spreadsheet, presentations

Also unveiled were the Connectivity desk stand for convenient charging and synchronization with a compatible PC, the Mobile Holder, which firmly holds the Nokia 9500 communicator in place in the car, and the Antenna Coupler, which provides a connection to an external antenna. For personalization, optional color covers are expected to be available.

Interoperability and Compatibility
Compatible and interoperable with existing IT infrastructures, the Nokia 9500 Communicator supports remote management using over-the-air provisioning, PC tools for device management, and customization capabilities. It also provides IT managers with a cost effective, easy-to-maintain and frequently updated device base, easing maintenance and deployment. Based on the Symbian operating system 7.0, JavaTM Personal Profile and MIDP2.0, the Nokia 9500 Communicator series offers developers a well-known and respected foundation upon which to build innovative solutions, facilitating forward compatibility with future members of the new enterprise Communicator family.

Secure Mobile Connectivity
The Nokia 9500 Communicator supports a broad range of standards-based security solutions. Data traffic can be effectively secured by a variety of standard Virtual Private Network (VPN) solutions. For example, the Nokia Mobile (VPN) solution - consisting of the Nokia Security Service Manager and the Nokia Mobile VPN Client - integrates with existing corporate infrastructure and extends the use of IPSec VPN to mobile devices. Additionally, Symantec plans to provide unique firewall and antivirus protection with advanced over-the-air update features. The Nokia 9500 Communicator also supports other key security features such as device lock and Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption for web-based applications.

Broad IT Industry Endorsement
Leading corporate information and communications technology vendors are already endorsing and/or supporting the new Communicator series with applications and software built especially for the new platform. Nokia's close collaboration with these vendors will provide corporate customers with best-in-class solutions that enable them to mobilize business processes, and make effective and secure remote connections to their existing IT infrastructures.

Companies that have already committed their support for the Nokia 9500 Communicator series include:

Cap Gemini Ernst &Young -@Anyplace Mobility Offerings
Cisco Systems, Inc. -Wireless LAN infrastructure interoperability
Computer Associates -streamlined management of mobile devices
Fujitsu -IT services and solutions provider
HP - mobile printing solutions
IBM - IBM's WebSphere Everyplace software offerings optimized for the Nokia Communicator
Oracle -Access to Oracle Collaboration Suite - email, files, calendar, web conferencing, faxes etc.
SAP AG -intends to investigate opportunities for SAP® solutions for mobile business arising from Nokia's Communicator platform
Symantec -mobile device Internet security solutions, including firewall and antivirus

Global Developer Support
Forum Nokia, Nokia's global developer program, offers multiple resources to support developers in building enterprise applications for the new Nokia 9500 Communicator. SDKs available at launch include Nokia Communicator SDK 1.0 Beta for Symbian OS 7.0s, Nokia Communicator MIDP SDK 1.0 Beta for Symbian OS 7.0s, and Personal Profile Plug-in 1.0 Beta for Nokia Communicator SDK. Developers also can access more than 20 relevant white papers and documents covering topics such as migrating both existing Nokia 9200 Communicator applications as well as existing Series 90 applications to the Nokia 9500 Communicator and guidelines for enterprise development. For more information and downloads of these resources visit www.forum.nokia.com/9500.

About Nokia
Nokia is the world leader in mobile communications, driving the growth and sustainability of the broader mobility industry. Nokia is dedicated to enhancing people's lives and productivity by providing easy-to-use and secure products like mobile phones, and solutions for imaging, games, media, mobile network operators and businesses. Nokia is a broadly held company with listings on five major exchanges.

Media enquiries

Nokia, Enterprise Solutions
Communications
Tel. +358 7180 34900

Nokia
Communications
Tel: +358 7180 34900
Email: press.office@nokia.com

www.nokia.com

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 23-02-2004, 03:20 PM

n1ghtFLY is on a distinguished road
hmm so it's not comes with touch screen right ??

nowhere mention touchscreen and it says it is still using Series 80 which not meant to be for touchscreen layout

maybe i'm wrong

Old 23-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
Full Nokia 9500 page with more details here.

Old 23-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Gadget17 is on a distinguished road
LAuRA's gonna love this. She has been waiting for new Communicator news for ages!

Hopefully won't be too long until it's in shops, but certainly looks the business.

Old 23-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
Personally I'm a bit disappointed with it. It's just an upgrade to the old communicator with the obvious additions made i.e. put in the missing funtionality from the 6600 and add WiFi. I dont see why they could not have brought this out last year? It just feels like it's too little too late.

Old 23-02-2004, 06:04 PM

CyberFred is on a distinguished road
same thoughts here.
I don't really like the look of it for one thing. Screen resolution is the same as the 9210, too.

Old 23-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with langoda and CyberFred,i expected more,at least a touchscreen and being Series 90 powered.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.
Ads

Old 23-02-2004, 10:06 PM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by GhostDog
I agree with langoda and CyberFred,i expected more,at least a touchscreen and being Series 90 powered.
Dissapointed once more by Nokia.
Always confirming one thing. They will never release the perfect device. I expected at least being series 90 with touchscreen in the inside and series 60 outside.

Not everyone is meant to make a difference.
But for me the choice to live an ordinary life is no longer an option.

If there was no GOD it would be neccessary to invent him.

Old 23-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Love it!

I think it's gorgeous! I like everything about it, except the fact that I can't get it before Q4.

I've always liked the communicator, and would be using one today, if it only had GPRS.

The fact that it doesn't have a touch screen don't bother me much. The full QWERTY makes up for it, with shortcuts to practically anything. It also has a "rocker" key that can be used as a mouse on the screen, so what do you need a touch screen for?

I also like the fact that it uses a slightly improved version of the Series 80 interface, because that means compatibility with all the existing S80 3rd party software.

Love it!
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 23-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

I just heard about the "rocker" key so i love it too

The release date really bothers me!

Old 24-02-2004, 12:10 AM

Ismail is on a distinguished road
me 2

anyway since its series 40 outside does that mean u can download 7210 games on it?

and also anyone know the diffrence between it and series 90?

Old 24-02-2004, 12:17 AM

Roberto is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Contrary to many others, I think the Nokia 9500 rocks. But a Nokia 9310 could have being launched 8 months ago with half of features of the Nokia 9500, just to keep the users who need to buy new units : GPRS, MMS, Bluetooth, USB, 104 MHz, 8 MB of free RAM, 32 MB of free flash RAM and minor improvements. But the softwares would be compatible with a slow mode running at 52 MHz (needed for games).

Well, let's talk about the future. At least now Nokia says that there will be more Communicators, the Nokia 9500 is just the first one of the line. I support the strategy of frequently releasing new hardware while keeping the same OS and softwares, like PalmOne does.

The Forum Nokia says that Java programs have a max. heap size of 20 MB, so the available RAM of the Nokia 9500 is at least 20 MB ! Very nice. I say at least because other Symbian devices have approx. half the available RAM as max. heap size, like the Nokia 7650 with 1.4 MB of max. heap size compared to approx. 3.0 MB of free RAM. The current Nokia 92xx has approx. 3 to 3.5 MB of free RAM, so it is a huge improvement, now only the sky is the limit for the programmers :-)

I like the new Nokia 9500, it looks more like the Psion Revo with respect to the keyboard (better than the Nokia 92xx keyboard). Also comparing with the Revo, the touch screen/stylus is not so important, IMHO, I rarely use it. The IRDA is also present, unlike the N-Gage. I was not hoping for the VGA camera, Wi-Fi, USB 2.0, stereo sound and 80-90 MB of available flash RAM.

Oh, the price seems to be good, 800 euros, if compared to SX1 (600 euros), P900 (800 euros), etc.

Starting to save money...

Roberto

Old 24-02-2004, 12:46 AM

Ismail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Hi,

Contrary to many others, I think the Nokia 9500 rocks. But a Nokia 9310 could have being launched 8 months ago with half of features of the Nokia 9500
Roberto
i would agree but then sales would be less and also more disappointed nokia users cause a knew phone arrived faster(as usual)

by the way has it been 4 years for the 9210?

Old 24-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Banned

LAuRA is on a distinguished road
Re: Love it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
I also like the fact that it uses a slightly improved version of the Series 80 interface, because that means compatibility with all the existing S80 3rd party software.

If this really is the case (and it sounds logical), then that is a bonus. I was sure that all the apps I had would be useless in the new device. Maybe they aren't

I haven't really decided if I love it yet. At first I was slightly disappointed as it looked so much like the old one... But maybe I will start saving the money

Old 24-02-2004, 08:09 AM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
No matter what, and no matter the delay, it is an impressive set of features.

My take, many people will prefer the Series 80 user interface since they are used to it, especially if they originally came from GEOS.

It is also good that Series 80 survives, now that a lot of investment in applications, OPL etc has gone into it, though people from Psion 5mx/Revo background might prefer Series 90 if it ever shows up in a Communicator.

I am very curious about the keyboard. Having been used to Psion-keyboards, I found the 9210 keyboard apalling. The 9500 looks much better, a bit like a HP calculator, though not ergonomically shaped keys like the Revo.

cheers
Martin