All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-02-2004, 01:15 PM

avro is on a distinguished road
HBH 200 Headset problem

I have just bought an HBH 200 headset and have problems getting it to work.

I have successfully bonded the headset to the P800 - I get the correct name on the HBH 200 when I add the headset to the P800 and the P800 finds the HBH 200 without any problem and bonds to it when I enter the 0000 pass code.

I am sure that the headset is talking to the P800 as when I press the button on the side to get the call list the P800 lights up and the symbol <> appears after the Bluetooth symbol. Futhermore the connection symbol on the HBH-200 shows up - both of these for about 2 seconds. However the words 'Failed' appear on the LCD on the HBH-200. The instruction manual says that this can be a problem if the two devices are too far apart but it still happens when they are touching each other.

Similarly the headset does not work when I try to receive a call.

Does anybody have any ideas? When I plug in the wired headset I get a message on the phone screen for a few seconds saying 'Headset'. Should I be expecting something similar when the Bluetooth headset is being used?

TIA

David Anson

Old 03-02-2004, 10:10 AM

hAnDyGUY is on a distinguished road
the only thing u'll get on screen when connecting your bluetooth headset is the bluetooth signal, and I believe there are some settings you need to change in your phone to handle the headset automatically..

check Sony Ericsson's HBH - 200 FAQ it might help!

Old 03-02-2004, 03:06 PM

Jago is on a distinguished road
Avro

I have just got a an HBH-200 as well.
I have my P800 bluetooth setting on Auto I turn the phone on first and then the headset.

When making or recieving a call (using the p800 keys) after a short delay or a second or so the words 'Sound Transferred to Headset' flash up and the Bluetooth transmitt icon comes on as you described.

I also get the 'Failed' message when pressing buttons on the headset - the trick is to start calls on the phone. (I have got voice dialling working by putting voice tags against contacts and turning the voice command on the phone. Then press the button on the side of the headset and speak the voice tag and the phone will dial).

Don't expect the phone number or caller ID on the headset display though - I don't think the Bluetooth stack of the P800 supports it. :(

(Apparently the P900 does if you have the latest firmware but SE haven't updated the old P800 in some time and I wonder if they have forgotten about us! )

Good luck anyway!
Jago

Old 03-02-2004, 03:44 PM

Jago,

Thanks for that but I am still having problems.

If I set the phone on to Auto as you suggest (which I assume saves battery power) then there is no Bluetooth icon on the screen, as I would expect. When a call comes in I press a button on the phone and it just picks up the call on the handset. The HBH 200 stays silent throughout and no Bluetooth icon appears.

If I set the Bluetooth to On then life gets more interesting but only so much!

The first sign that things are working is that the HBH rings so there is definitely some Bluetooth activity happening. As you point out, the answer button on the HBH microphone does not appear to do anything. However when I press a button on the P800 as you suggest, it comes up on the screen saying 'Sound transferred to phone' and not to the headset. I have tried numerous settings on the P800 re Handsfree and Bluetooth but don't seem to tbe getting any further.

So near and yet so far.

Old 03-02-2004, 04:00 PM

Avro

Just to check -

There is no Blutooth icon on whilst phone is on auto (only when actually making or receiving calls does it then pop up automatically).

Don't use the phone to answer calls use the headset, also, I don't use the button on the microphone to answer calls (only sometimes to end calls) use the single button on the top side of the headset to pick up calls. This should then start the bluetooth connection to the phone to answer the call on the headset.

(If you press a phone button instead the phone assuems you want to use the handset and not the headset and transfers the sound to the phone instead of the headset. If you answer the call with the headset button then the sound is transferred to the headset)

Hope this clears it up?

Jago

Old 03-02-2004, 04:09 PM

Jago,

> There is no Blutooth icon on whilst phone is on auto (only when
> actually making or receiving calls does it then pop up
> automatically).

No icon appears at any time in Auto mode whether the phone is in use or not. I get an icon when in the On or Receivable mode.

> use the single button on the top side of the headset to pick up
> calls. This should then start the bluetooth connection to the
> phone to answer the call on the headset.

I assume you mean the button on the long side of the device with the LCD - the button has a picture of a phone handset on it.

It is sounding to me as though there is something wrong with the headset.

David Anson

Old 03-02-2004, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by avro
Jago,

I assume you mean the button on the long side of the device with the LCD - the button has a picture of a phone handset on it.

David Anson
Yeah the round one.

I would try a reset on the headset first (one of the advanced options) , clear the headset from the list of bluetooth devices in the phone and then re-pair the phone and the headset.

Good luck.

Cheers
Jago

Old 03-02-2004, 04:35 PM

Jago,

> I would try a reset on the headset first (one of the advanced
> options) , clear the headset from the list of bluetooth devices in
> the phone and then re-pair the phone and the headset.

I tried that yesterday :-(

It's not looking good.

I will try the reset and re-pair once more.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions

David Anson