All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-01-2004, 01:28 AM

drazvan is on a distinguished road
Barcode Scanning application - looking for beta testers

Hello everyone,

We are in the final stages of development for a barcode scanning application that allows you to use your phone's camera to scan and decode barcodes. We are looking for a small batch of beta testers to help us iron out the last bugs and release the app. If you're interested, please drop me an email at razvan.dragomirescu@simeda.com.

We are also open to suggestions regarding potential uses for this technology. What would you do with your phone if it could scan barcodes? What do you think would be the most interesting application for this technology?

Thank you,
Razvan

--
Razvan Dragomirescu
Chief Technology Officer
SIMEDA GmbH
www.simeda.com
Ads

Old 28-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
I just droped you a mail.

Right now,i don't have any ideas for the application except showing off in a super market but i'm sure something will pop up later on.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 28-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Gadget17 is on a distinguished road
Just posted an E-mail to you and contains some ideas on uses!

Old 29-01-2004, 11:14 AM

pasa is on a distinguished road
Well some supermarkets already use barcodes readers for shoppers to basically add up the shopping while the go along. it is then just very quickly double checked on the way out saving lots of time.

but surely having the barcode reader is a great step to creating virtual shopping lists on your phone by scanning lod products as you use them and keeping a stock take.

upload it to the online supermakert and run it through as your order.

Or take it into the supermarket scan as you go along and compare it to the saved the list.

possibilities for shopping are endless. basically the Phone is now in nearly every persons pocket which is the only reason it is useful.

I know also that the AA use alot of bluetooth technology to connect to laptops and in car knowledge bases - they also use them to monitor another cars emmissions and revs and other nformation. All AA men carry a laptop and bluetooth phone. well I am sure a barcode reader on that phone could be useful when ordering new parts or building a receipt for a customer and a record of things they use.

Courier drivers and Delivery men, all use handheld devies which read barcodes - In the same way.

VIDEO TO YOUR MOBILE!
You can now view video clips direct from the Celebrity Big Brother House through Orange World Portal and Three Mobile Portal....

Old 29-08-2004, 06:36 PM
mwvent

Reader use

I work in a supermarket and I am forever typing barcodes manually in my phone to referr to later when I get to the PC, this would bridge a huge gap!