All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-01-2004, 11:17 AM

Pyrofer is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth Headset Problem

I bought this BT headset,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=42393

But cannot get it to work with my 6600.
I know the headset works because ive used it on the PC to both listen to and record sound. However after pairing with the phone, nothing happens.
If I select the headset from the phones bluetooth menu and select connect it gives some error about bluetooth headset profile not supported !!
What on earth is going on?

Old 26-01-2004, 12:28 PM

numeric is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Maybe it does not support "Handsfree"Profile ..

Maybe it does not support "Handsfree"Profile ..

Generally the Headset must support the "Handsfree profile" - this is not compatible with the (old) "Headset profile", which is not supported by the Nokia 6600 ...

You can see this info on my Bug-page (it is in germa, but with translation button): http://nokia6600.bueken.de/Nokia-6600-Bugs.htm

Old 26-01-2004, 12:55 PM

It would seem this explains it.
I cannot beleive Nokia would make such a great phone and make it NOT compatible with lots of Bluetooth headsets.
As for the fact its an 'old' protocol, Bluetooth headsets have only been around for a year or so!
The headset says its compatible with many Nokia phones, Why oh why would they change it and drop backward compatibility!
This is worse than my7650 not even HAVING bluetooth audio.

Does anybody know if Nokia will support this in a future software revision?

Old 26-01-2004, 01:15 PM

technik is on a distinguished road
It's a bit risky buying unknown brand names from Ebay.

Best policy is stick to known brands that are known to work properly.

A case of Buyer Beware.

Old 27-01-2004, 08:03 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Lots of (or probably most, but I haven't done any research) Bluetooth headsets on the market support both the Bluetooth Headset and Bluetooth Handsfree profiles, so that they will work with devices that support either one.

As far as I know, all Nokia phones on the market today have support for the Bluetooth Handsfree profile, but not the Headset profile.

If you have limited memory, and only implement one of these, then the Handsfree profile is probably a better choice as it then works with most Bluetooth headsets and also Bluetooth handsfree cars kits.

(Of course, a car kit could also support both, but it is more likely to support just the Handsfree profile as that one was designed for that particular purpose.)

Old 27-01-2004, 11:16 PM

technik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by N/A
Lots of (or probably most, but I haven't done any research) Bluetooth headsets on the market support both the Bluetooth Headset and Bluetooth Handsfree profiles, so that they will work with devices that support either one.
The early Jabra 200 did not work with the Nokia 6600.

You have to use one with a blue sticker on the box.

It's exactly this kind of problem that potential purchasers have to beware of !

I have the Jabra 250, and it works perfectly with my 6600, and has great audio in both directions.

Old 29-01-2004, 05:22 PM

My main complaint is that although its "buyer beware" nobody INCLUDING NOKIA give any clear indication of what is supported.
If there are two profile types, and the 6600 ONLY supports one of them it should say clearly on nokia's site that "6600 ONLY supports bluetooth handsfree NOT headset profile".
Also, the actual headsets should say "Supports Headset profile only not handsfree profile" etc.

At least then we would have the information that is needed. At the moment both Nokia and the headset manufacters are guilty of "compatible with 'most' phones/headsets" type descriptions.
Ooh. How helpfull. A full list of compatible hardware or the technical details needed please, no inbetween useless Marketing speak thank you.

Old 07-04-2004, 10:56 AM
cybersimo

does anyone know if the bluetooth profile that is not supported in nokia 6600 will be supported in future firmware releases?

Old 19-08-2004, 04:05 AM

benmui is on a distinguished road
Ditto here... It's not a simply buying no-name bluetooth devices. I was affected by Nokia's decision to not support Bluetooth Headset Profile as well. I have a 1.5 year old Sony Ericsson HBH-30 Bluetooth Handsfree device. This model, along with its replacement, the HBH-35 only support the Bluetooth Headset profile. Other SE handfree devices, such as the HBH-60/-65/-600 support both Headset and Handsfree profiles. It was a tough choice to decide to keep my Nokia 6620 in light of this shortcoming. Anyone know if Nokia would ever consider upgrading the phone software to support this profile, or do I just have to bite the bullet and buy a new bluetooth handsfree?

Thanks!
b

Old 19-08-2004, 08:35 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth Headset profile support might come in new phones, but you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to appear in firmware updates for old phones (i.e., won't happen).