All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-12-2003, 02:04 PM

Bigfeat is on a distinguished road
HBH-200 - What was SE Thinking???

I have an issue with the concept of the HBH-200. How is that headset practical? It's just like the old HPR-20. The ear bud is exactly the same as the OEM headset that comes with the P800/P900. And that stupid clip feature. It's not wearable on any piece of clothing. Especially when shirtless on a beach ... If one doesn't have enough slack on that cable while the bud is in their ear they can risk violently yanking it out if not careful. For instance, image having the bud in your right ear and the LCD clipped to your right shirt pocket. Someone suprisingly taps you on the left should and you whip your head to the left. 9/10 times that ear bud will fly out of your right ear and it'll hurt like a SOB. That's why most people with corded headsets always look stiff. You never know when you have enough slack on that cable to move your head around freely.. CABLED HEADSETS LIMITS THE DEGREE OF FREEDOM. Moreover there are still issues with the Bluetooth handsfree profile limitation with the P800/P900 phones. This headsets carries key features which are not obtainable on the P800/P900 because of this. The P900 firmware upgrade was suppose to take care of that for the P900, but it hasn't really.

Moreover, several SE headsets have difficulty switching between calls. I have never been able to successfully answer an additional incoming call from the headset. However, I have only been able to do this with my Bluespoon Digital. This is critical especially while driving. The SE BT headsets would send the second call to the phone thereby forcing one to answer the call their. However, it takes a simple push of the buttons on the BD to switch back and forth between phone conversations...

I'm not sure what SE what thinking with the HBH-200. It seems to be popular for the moment, but the move is far from revolutionary. It's been done with the HPR-20 in some aspect and I don't think it's much different from any 'run of the mill' corded headsets in the market. To think that personalized ringtones were good enough to know who the imcoming caller is. In addition, all BT headsets ring along with the phones anyway. I keep my P900 in my pockets at all time and don't really need it to make 70% of my outgoing calls (voice command tags) or 100% of my incoming calls. Unless the HBH-200 had the contacts listed in the LCD would it be ok.. However, if that's the case then it would be like having a tiny phone attach to a cord that dangles from one's ear. Again, how practical is the design and concept to the future of 'mobile' headset technology???

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T

Old 18-12-2003, 12:58 PM

pwhite8314 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The ear bud is exactly the same as the OEM headset that comes with the P800/P900
I find it comfortable (with the spongy bits). Try the Nokia HS-3W for a 'trendier' earpeice that give you earache within about 10 minutes of using it.
Quote:
It's not wearable on any piece of clothing
It is. Again, at least the clip is a bit grippy, the Nokia one isn't.
Quote:
Especially when shirtless on a beach
Not a problem in the UK, we only have 2 days a year to go shirtless without catching pneumonia, and even then the traffic to the few good beaches we have is so bad you don't get there until it's cold again anyway Besides, you do get the cord to hang it around you neck.
Quote:
Someone suprisingly taps you on the left should and you whip your head to the left. 9/10 times that ear bud will fly out of your right ear and it'll hurt like a SOB
I really don't have this problem, but then again I'm 'left-eared', so turning to the left isn't a problem.
Quote:
Moreover there are still issues with the Bluetooth handsfree profile limitation with the P800/P900 phones
Oh yeah. You'll see from my other posts that this is really starting to become annoying, and S/E's lack of help, either by phone or email is equally annoying. This isn't to do with the headset though, it's the Px00.
Quote:
all BT headsets ring along with the phones anyway
The HS-3W doesn't. If you wanted to hear the phone ring, you had to keep the earbud stuck in your ear the whole time. Not practicle, especially when it's not even comfortable. At least the HBH-200 has it's own little ringer.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very annoyed that it's still not working properly, but aside from that, the HBH200 is a good design for me; I've tried the over-the-ear jobbies, but I' just don't enjoy using them, and as I spend most of my day in an office, the pee taking was just getting too much!

Each to their own I guess...

Old 18-12-2003, 01:43 PM

Pete-

This was kinda about SE BT headsets... What does an old and cheap Nokia BT clip-on headset have to do with this thread... That I might say was one of the worst comparisons ever used to state ones position in an argument. You might have had better luck comparing the HPR-20 to the Nokia HS-3W. As a matter of fact I believe you are the first in any thread I've read to measure up these BT headsets to a cheap $50 clip-on headset. Your points really don't challenge anything I stated. And that primarily came about because you used a very poor example. If you want to state your argument efficiently how about challenging the points I made about the subject itself and not go off tangent listing inadequecies in a product that's not even on the same level or from the same manufacturer.

Again, the title of this post was "what was SE thinking...". If you really want to talk about headsets then take a look at the ones in that pic below. I listed only 4 of 10 BT headsets I own and it wouldn't be fair to even compare half of those to the HBH-200. The HBH-200 happens to be one of the 10 BT headsets I own and I wouldn't even measure it up with the one's pictured below. Especially the Bluespoon Digital which beats all SE headsets hands down in the quality (only headset equiped with - digital speech processor VS analog - all other headsets) department. It's also not an over-the-ear headset and it doesn't require cables..

Last edited by Bigfeat; 18-12-2003 at 01:47 PM.

Old 18-12-2003, 01:59 PM

pwhite8314 is on a distinguished road
I was just trying to say, that in the world of corded BT headsets, the S/E is a better implimentation than the Nokia one (which is $100+ in the UK), so it's a valid comparison, and just as valid as comparing a $300 Bluespoon headset to the HBH-200.

Lets leave it there though; as I said, we just have different needs from our BT headsets; for me the HBH-200 would be fine if the P900 software was up to it.

Old 18-12-2003, 02:50 PM

Fair enough.....

Old 18-12-2003, 05:57 PM

ried is on a distinguished road
I really dig the HBH-200, I use the base unit as a tie clip. And the earpiece is small & comfortable, so it's perfect for me. I really dislike those units that make you look like you're working the drive-thru at McDonald's.

Nothing screams "I'm a Nerd!" worse than one of those. Just my humble opinion, of course. :p

Old 18-12-2003, 06:30 PM

How about the Bluespoon Digital?? It got away from the 'over the ear" design? It's probably the most conspicous BT headset designed for mobile phones... You probably wouldn't be able to tell I was wearing it if you were walking directly behind me and looking at the back of my ears. No visible wires hanging down and no visible ear hook in the back of my ear.

I still say the HBH-200 wires will yank out your ears every once in a while.. Twist your head in every orientation physically possible. Do you think there won't be days were you don't have enough slack in the wires while twisting, turning, etc. because you didn't clip it high enough on your clothing?? Again your 'degree of freedom' is limited (to length of wire) with the HBH-200.. That's fact not opinion. I'm not sure if any of you were wearing SE BT headsets as long as I have.. The HPR-20 + its cable wires was not a pleasant experience. This HBH-200 is not any different at all in that aspect. The cables still hamped my movement as the regular cabled headsets did. I always had to worry about having enough slack on those cables. That's not what BT technology brought to the table as a selling point to customers.

Last edited by Bigfeat; 18-12-2003 at 06:36 PM.

Old 19-12-2003, 06:15 AM

ried is on a distinguished road
Get over it, dude. The HBH-200 doesn't have to suck in order for you to be happy, does it?

I find it suits me better than any drive-thru headset does. If you dig your Bluespoon then great! Live & let live - don't go out of your way to over-criticize something so small. Put that energy into something positive!

Old 19-12-2003, 02:00 PM

I own every single BT headset SE/Ericcson has ever manufactured.. I even have 2 pairs of some of their models. I don't know how many other members on this board can state that they have been as faithful to one company as I have.. I bought this one anyway because I guess I'm a sap .

However, I'm sure this is probably one of only 3 BT headsets you or most other members probably ever owned.. So you may not know where I'm coming from and probably feel grateful to SE for this one in some sense of the word. So I think I'm more then entitled to critize this one to death.. Don't you think??

Last edited by Bigfeat; 19-12-2003 at 02:02 PM.