All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-12-2003, 11:11 PM

drazvan is on a distinguished road
Angry Development for Nokia Digital Pen SU-1B

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on this... for the past 2 weeks I've been trying to find out how we could start developing some applications for Nokia's new Digital Pen (SU-1B). The Forum Nokia website initially mentioned the software as being available for free... but only provided a link to www.anoto.com. Anoto did have the dev kits available, but the cheapest one was 1000 EUR and was available for universities only. Cheapest commercial one (that didn't allow you to launch your product, only to develop it) was 3000 EUR.

I wrote a couple of emails to Nokia and they seem to have had an impact... now their page only says that the documentation is available for free... says nothing about the price of the kits. But SURPRISE ... going back to Anoto for information, I've noticed that their prices have suddenly DOUBLED! Their non-commercial universities kit is now 2000 EUR and their commercial kit went all the way up to 6000 EUR. How's that for a price increase?

I'm not planning to ever look at this technology again ... my emails to Anoto have gone unanswered for more than 2 weeks... and there's no way I'm going to spend 6000 EUR on something without even seeing a demo first... from a company that does absolutely nothing to enlighten a potential buyer (I had the 3000 EUR ready for the commercial kit ... their loss...).

Just a heads up to anyone trying this...

Razvan

--
Razvan Dragomirescu
Chief Technology Officer
SIMEDA GmbH
www.simeda.com
Ads