All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-11-2003, 06:38 PM

The Mus is on a distinguished road
Does Anyone Trust EBAY?

Hey People,

I have been looking at the auctions on EBAY and have seen some great deals on SE P900's. What I would like to know is:

Has anyone ever taken advantage of the very cheap deals?

Has anyone completed a transaction and was it safe?

Was anyone burnt and lost their money?:(

Share your experiences and wealth of knowledge...

Thanks

Last edited by The Mus; 20-11-2003 at 06:43 PM.

Old 20-11-2003, 06:45 PM

Bigfeat is on a distinguished road
Ebay is great except when dealing with customers outside of your country. It leaves you very little chance to take legal action against fraudsters if it gets to that point. However I would suggest only dealing with sellers with a Paypal account. Ebay does offer a customer protection plan. However, one must meet the requirements to take advantage of it.. There have been quite a few scams with the P900 so the golden rule is "if it's too good to be true then it must not be true". Again, deal with customers with Paypal or that does transactions that allow you to trace your goods or your funds.

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T

Old 20-11-2003, 07:53 PM
iwantiwantiwant

If you see the ads for £20 phones don't believe them they have to be false! and if you do fall for it then you have only yourself to blame. I'd stick to same country buying from a good rated seller.

Old 21-11-2003, 09:42 AM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
I saw someone (tiger123456 or something) selling P900's for EURO300. Claimed to be UK based. Was curious so Ie-mailed to enquire about the units, P&P etc. Turns out he was in Romania and wanted the money sent via Western Union before he would ship!

Needless to say, I didn't bother, and a few hours later ebay shut him down!

But there are loads of people on there like that. You just need to be carefull. There are good deals to be had, but if it looks too good to be true, it almost certainly is.

You look like you want to go away, But I know youíre gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. Thereís flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. Thereís a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 21-11-2003, 09:53 AM

I have been keeping my eye on Ebay, and have also come to some conclusions.

1. The majority of scams are run out of Romania. (no offence to any Romanian readers!)

2. When you ask a seller to use an Escrow service and they say no... do not deal with them any further.

3. Ebay should not allow pre-approved bidders, where the bidders must first contact the seller and get his approval to begin bidding, cause they never give that approval and just try to do a direct Western Union transfer deal outside of Ebay.

If anyone has anything else to add, please do!

Old 21-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Re: Does Anyone Trust EBAY?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mus
Does anyone trust ebay?
In the case of new release phones, no..I don't trust a single person, I'd say you are more likely to get scammed than not recently...20+ listings for P900 a few weeks ago. I could go through every one of them and say with some certainty that they were all scam artists.

Old 21-11-2003, 05:26 PM

PaulyLaw is on a distinguished road
Gotta say I have bought phones from eBay in the past with no problems at all, and got some great deals *BUT* I have always gone to pick the phone up in person. I wouldn't just send the money off.

The way I figure it I could be saving hundreds of quid off the High St. retail price for the sake of a couple of hours travelling.

Anyway, I guess the moral is use normal, good common sense. Some ebay sellers are great honest people, some are tossers.

Old 24-11-2003, 05:25 PM

spudwebb04 is on a distinguished road
Don't do it. I got a p900 off of ebay. The phone is defective and the seller refuses to get give me my money back or exchange it for a working one. Bought it for $875.00, when I could have bought it for the same price from a website with a return policy. :(

Old 25-11-2003, 06:07 AM

Hey spudwebb04 (nice nick - little bugger could JUMP!)

Shouldnt your phone be under warranty? If it is contact Sony Ericsson direct and they should repair or replace it for you.

Good luck mate

Old 25-11-2003, 04:32 PM

spudwebb04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mus
Hey spudwebb04 (nice nick - little bugger could JUMP!)

Shouldnt your phone be under warranty? If it is contact Sony Ericsson direct and they should repair or replace it for you.

Good luck mate
The big problem is that I called SonyEricsson and they said the phone hasn't been released in the US yet. So they would not be able to do anything. Even if I send them the phone they don't have anyone trained on the phone or any replacements to send me if it is defective. He say I could send the phone to SonyEricsson in the UK and they could fix it since the phone is released there, but I don't know anyone over there. Well at least no one I trust.

I even thought about contacting a dealer here in the US. Most of them get there phones from the UK anyway, but I still haven't found anyone wiling to help me out.

Old 25-11-2003, 05:19 PM

pasa is on a distinguished road
I too always keep my eye on the deals on EBAY here are my observations...

1. The £20 phones deal is a link to a site with a pryamid scheme - so you pay £20 for a cd containg probably 5 ringtones and some other software, in exhcange you go on the list for a new phone and for every new member on that list you get bumped up to the top of the list and receive your phone hence why so many people advertise it on ebay so they can get their phone quicker.... from what it looks like it might work - how long does it take god knows, is it worth it - your choice!

2. As a rule never trust the listed item unless it has a homegrown photo with it - lets face it if you are selling something now days most people have some form of digital camera - putting up a general photo indicates the seller doesnt yet have the phone.

3. Check the users feedback rating. If it has the new user icon and no feedback then do not bid or even bother to ask questions these are people who may have been banned before just trying there luck and to be honest do you blame them if they can get some cash for free they are going to keep doing it - dont make it easy for them.

4. Read some of the feedbacks - work out if they deliver quickly - if they give refunds - are more than helpful - or in amongst good feedback you may well find something bad that will put you off.

5. Check what other items they are selling and other items they have sold. If they have sold alot of mobiles then you can probably trust them as they obviously have dealers and am not just trying to make a quick buck!

6. Only purchase if they will accept Cash on Delivery or Pay Pal - always ask to pick it up even if you cant just to see what they say, if they are not reputable then ofcourse they wont want you anywhere near them.

7. Lastly look at the price and my observations have been that on a 6600 for example you can save probably £50 from buying it at Carphonewarehouse - added with the risk element and you dont know the origin of the phone - is it really worth it.

I think it becomes less harmful to buy phones after they have been released for a while as they are genuine unwanted by the public which is much safer....

Happy Bidding

P

VIDEO TO YOUR MOBILE!
You can now view video clips direct from the Celebrity Big Brother House through Orange World Portal and Three Mobile Portal....

Last edited by pasa; 25-11-2003 at 05:21 PM.

Old 15-09-2004, 03:49 PM
smileymug

ebay

I am an Ebay seller and buyer and have sold several p800/p900 phones online. Best way to check if the phones are safe is to check out the sellers feedback if he's got excelent feedback and has a history of selling mobiles thats a good sign. IYou get what you pay for Pay £20 for a phone usually means either a list type pyramid sceme or a dummy from a shop. So check feedback, pay a reasonable price and use ebays respected payment systems. Credit cards or CC based transactions will give extra protection. friends have used paypal and still got stung and many good sellers don't use it because they have to add costs to the price to cover charges and it slows down the process. Get transaction verified by using cheques etc to get proof of postage etc and you should be fine. Ebay is a great place to shop if you use common sense.

Old 15-09-2004, 03:55 PM
camelion

Red face

One problem with not buying from a shop (not restricted to ebay) is that many people get free factory sim free phones from the shop with a contract. They put the sim in their own phone and sell the new phone which was free for £200 or whatever. Then 6 months later they can't get the bills paid. So when thee company asks for the phone back they say its stolen. Nowadays stolen phones are locked so they can't be used and guess what if you have bought one your phone gets locked out and as you aren't the legal owner you can't do anything. Also beware of stolen phones on ebay. I a seller and buyer had my account suspended when selling 1 phone as i had no mobile history because they wanted to make sure the phone was mine. (GOOD FOR ME AND BUYER) So use commonsense and check feedback. A crook is a crook and no system whether credit card cheque or paypal system can garauntee you a 100% pain free auction.

Old 16-09-2004, 08:03 AM

SEP900 is on a distinguished road
eBay is really good but you have to very careful. As Bigfeat said, *NEVER* deal with anybody outside of your country on eBay and *NEVER* do any thing outside of eBay. Sometimes traders offer even a cheaper rate if interested in personal business Ė thatís the worst and the most dangerous case. Iím a victim of such an incident; I lost £1200. eBay was unable to do anything really serious as I went outside eBay for a personal business to get a cheaper price. The mail I got from eBay, recommended me to be very careful when trading with Eastern European sellers (Iím sorry if somebody out here from those countries). I bought several items from US sellers Ė I havenít got any problem so far, to be honest. Always use PayPal for payment.

And finally, I donít recommend buying a mobile phone from eBay. I would contact my local provider (I know it gonna cost me), what I did actually.

Good luck!!!!

Last edited by SEP900; 16-09-2004 at 08:14 AM.

Old 16-09-2004, 11:40 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I bought my P900 off Ebay about six months ago. When I knew I wanted one, it was the cheapest place to buy one SIM free, the average price for a new sim free phone was a round 480gbp. Found a seller on Ebay who was local to me, checked out his feedback, got in touch, rang him, and picked the phone up in person the same day, paid cash, and got the phone for 380gbp, and its worked problem free, no hassle at all. He even threw in a cd with loads of extra software on it too.

There are bargains to be had on ebay, and I'm in the market looking for an Omega watch at the moment, and I've had to sift through so much cr@p on ebay to find anything remotely genuine, some folk really do sell some rubbish on there.