All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Older Phones and Archived Forums > Nokia N-Gage and N-Gage QD

Old 02-11-2003, 06:43 AM

symbiamaniac is on a distinguished road
Exclamation A Gift from me to the N-Gage community: WATCH MOVIES ON YOUR N-GAGE!!! yes its free!

OK this is for all of those groups of people who either love, hate, or are bias about the N-Gage.

Hopefully more will appreciate what it can do after you all read this. Just remember that

symbiamaniac was the first ever to post this.....

As a free gift from me to the N-Gage community, here are detailed instructions i've created on how to

encode and watch ANY movie clip or full length movie on your N-Gage at the highest resolution and

color quality the game deck is cabable of......First, some quick facts to make your mouths water:

1) Encode and watch Full length movies via 3gpp media format (your realone media player will play

this perfectly).

2) Average 90min movie @ highest 15 fps in stereo is only ~50mb. So stock up on mmc cards. I

heard that the N-Gage can only take mmc cards up to 128mb. Thats a bunch of BS! I've contaced

some technical sources at Nokia and they backed me up so I installed a 512mb mmc and it works

perfectly!!

3) Convert all the popular media types to play on your N-Gage like .avi, mpg, mov, ect....in minutes.

It took my p4 1.8ghz only about 10min to convert a 90min movie at max res.

4) So easy that even I figured it out....

OK enough already, life is short....how to convert:

A) You will need the following to play movies:
1) usb link provided with you n-gage
2) mmc (multimedia card) with enough space for movies ~50mb = 90min
3) Now, all you have to do is download one of two applications below:

Nokia Multimedia Converter 2.0
http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,65...ml&fileID=2998

HELIX Mobile Producer
Sorry, i'm too lazy to provide the link....just do a search on google....Realnetworks makes it.

Nokia Multimedia converter 2.0 is a free app (thanks Nokia!!) and works just as well as HELIX

Mobile Producer (which is a 30 day trial).

B) I highly recommend the Nokia app not only because its free, but because of its simplicity. The only

other thing you need to know when converting to 3gpp format using Nokia MC is to set the fps to 15

for the highest resolution. If you're concerned about file size then, by all means go to a lower fps. The

only advantage about using HELIX (that i've seen) is that you can convert files to realmedia (.rm files).

However, its been a real pain in the you know what getting the settings right. So far i've had much

trouble converting to realmedia files and playing them on the N-Gage. It all depends on what type of

file you start out with (avi, mpg, mov, ect) and how it was initially encoded. With Nokia MC, no

matter what type of file I started out with, it had no problems converting and playing them.

C) use either of the above apps to convert your media file. again i highly recommend 3gpp format.

D) File transfer to your N-Gage is simple....
1) make sure your mmc (multimedia card, which is different than a SD card) is installed.
2) connect your N-gage to your PC via USB link
3) open windows explorer. your computer should automatically recognize that your n-gage with

mmc card installed is attached and it will show your device as an addition hard drive.
4) drag/copy your movie file to your memory card/device.

E) Now this is important!! Disconnect your N-Gage from the USB link. (game deck MUST be

disconnected in order to access the mmc).

F) open realone player, move to right tab to view contents of mmc, hit play, ENJOY!!!!

PS: praise mail is welcomed...hehe just j/k

Old 02-11-2003, 09:36 AM

audiophile is on a distinguished road
*praises*

so the realone player will play this 3gpp will it? but its realplayer shouldnt it only be able to play .rm .ram?

Old 02-11-2003, 09:48 AM

ceks is on a distinguished road
Question YA!!!! and Help again!

Hi,
Thanks for this. Althought I have try it but this sounds REALLY good. I will thank you here for this REALLY helpful infor and thank you again if it works.
I have another question for you here. MP3 to AAC. I know some other user have post this but it doesnt work for me. I am trying to find a software to convert MP3 to AAC. Earlier Someone suggested iTune for PC but when I convert the MP3 file to AAC format, and they come out to be M4A format, which cant be use on Ngage. Do you know any other way to do it?
Regards.
ceks
Ads

Old 02-11-2003, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by audiophile
*praises*

so the realone player will play this 3gpp will it? but its realplayer shouldnt it only be able to play .rm .ram?
Thats correct, the realplayer on the ngage does play 3gpp files. from what i've experienced so far, it plays them even better than rm files.....strange, i know, but true. why nokia never made this feature known from the start, i have no idea.

Old 02-11-2003, 09:57 AM

Re: YA!!!! and Help again!

Quote:
Originally posted by ceks
Hi,
Thanks for this. Althought I have try it but this sounds REALLY good. I will thank you here for this REALLY helpful infor and thank you again if it works.
I have another question for you here. MP3 to AAC. I know some other user have post this but it doesnt work for me. I am trying to find a software to convert MP3 to AAC. Earlier Someone suggested iTune for PC but when I convert the MP3 file to AAC format, and they come out to be M4A format, which cant be use on Ngage. Do you know any other way to do it?
Regards.
ceks

as a matter of fact, yes i do know of such a program....the program i mentioned in my article, HELIX Mobile Producer, can convert mp3s to aac. i've done so with no problems at all....also, you can use either helix mobile producer or nokia media converter to convert mp3 to 3gpp. hope this helps...

Old 02-11-2003, 10:13 AM

PRoblem!!!

Hi again!
I have downloaded the MMConverter and tried to install it. But there is a problem. There is a message telling me that "Installer User Interface Mode not Supported". DO you have any idea whats wrong? Do you have ICQ? Can I ICQ you?
Regards.
ceks

Old 02-11-2003, 04:23 PM

GameBoy2Go is on a distinguished road
Re: PRoblem!!!

Quote:
Hi again!
I have downloaded the MMConverter and tried to install it. But there is a problem. There is a message telling me that "Installer User Interface Mode not Supported". DO you have any idea whats wrong? Do you have ICQ? Can I ICQ you?
Regards.
ceks
You need also to install the latest the latest Java runtime environment Download from the Sun site here:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/downloads.html

Old 03-11-2003, 05:36 AM

Article short film

hi guys just wanted everybody to know i posted a short film that you can download and watch....check it if you have time.

-peace

Old 04-11-2003, 11:02 PM

jaybadass is on a distinguished road
which java file do you need to download to be able to use this converter. there is quite a bit of downloads on that page

Old 05-11-2003, 02:12 AM

Thumbs up succeed

I have manager to install Nokia convertor. Indeed it is very easy to use. But I have to download the jave enviroment software from java website inorder to install that.
I have compaired the quailty between Helix producer and Nokia convertor. Helix producer:- better in quality, smaller in file size but screen size have to be force to 176x144, so file will look funny. Nokia convertor:- reasonable quality,bigger in file size but the screen size is perfect.
Thanks Symbiamaniac!

Old 05-11-2003, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jaybadass
which java file do you need to download to be able to use this converter. there is quite a bit of downloads on that page
The file name is Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_01

Old 05-11-2003, 02:26 AM

Fast Benny is on a distinguished road
I have installed the nokia converter along with the Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_01. I converted a couple of trailers (.mov files) to .3pg. They played (on my N-Gage), but with no sound! I tried converting an .mp3 to .arm and that played fine. Why won't my N-gage play .3pg's with sound? (I didn't try the Helix program because I'm using windows ME and said I need NT)

Also, after encoding with the Nokia converter my PC stopped playing ANY sound at all and I had to reinstall my sound drivers to get it to work again. What's up with that?

Last edited by Fast Benny; 05-11-2003 at 03:05 AM.

Old 05-11-2003, 08:57 AM
KieranB

Hey guys, how about getting a simpsons episode made for the N-Gage and posting it up. I'd love to see it running.

Is there any links for such movies out there?

Old 05-11-2003, 05:07 PM

jaybadass is on a distinguished road
thanks ceks, i am up and running now!

Old 06-11-2003, 03:58 PM

MuffinMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The file name is Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_01
Ive tried to download the file but it wont let me, it just says 'page not found' every time i click on the link